• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1973 Mustang Convertible 351 CV For Sale

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedy5757

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible w/351 Cleveland. fully restored to near-perfect factory-delivered condition.
This car is a very correct, original and numbers matching example of a 1973 Mustang Convertible., It has the 351 Cleveland V8-2V, a C6 automatic transmission and a 2.75 rear axle, all original options. It is the Medium Bright Yellow factory color with a factory Ginger vinyl interior and a black vinyl power top and glass backlight.

Factory options include competition suspension, Selectair air conditioning, power disc front brakes, power convertible top, color-keyed sport mirrors, Instrumentation Group, Convenience Group and the Appearance Protection Group. Here is a functioning ram air system, an AM/FM stereo radio and tinted glass all-around.

This car has been restored to exacting Mustang Club standards and is a show winner! Full photos and details can be found at http://dobsonmotorsport.com/product/1973-mustangconvertible/.

Asking $29,500 OBO.

IMG_0103.JPG

Well... "mostly correct," and some "extra options," that probably don't win MCA "Gold" awards. The car's been repainted, evidenced by:

• the incorrect [but pretty close] hood TuTone
  • missing Ram Air decals
  • lower body paint treatment on the front valance (supposed to be a gap between the black-out lower and bottom of the stripes?)
  • stripes are not factory-applied (fender flare cuts are not in the right place or follow the contour of the flares)
  • trunk badge was added after the stripes (after the repaint)
  • the '71 Pop-Open gas cap is well... not O.E.
  • neither is the trunk spoiler (Marti Report probably doesn't include front spoiler, either)

This is NOT me picking apart this car - it's awesome, and probably worth the money to someone. However, the seller (or seller's advocate) claims MCA Gold condition, original paint, and original options, when it's just barely missing the boat on all three counts.

But like I said, a very nice-looking and probably solid car nonetheless. I'd be interested at $20K.

Eric, amazing eye you have in spotting originality :) valuable information to learn from you.

Vehicles is beautiful :)

Well... "mostly correct," and some "extra options," that probably don't win MCA "Gold" awards. The car's been repainted, evidenced by:

• missing Ram Air decals
  • lower body paint treatment on the front valance (supposed to be a gap between the black-out lower and bottom of the stripes?)
  • stripes are not factory-applied (fender flare cuts are not in the right place or follow the contour of the flares)
  • neither is the trunk spoiler (Marti Report probably doesn't include front spoiler, either)

This is NOT me picking apart this car - it's awesome, and probably worth the money to someone. However, the seller (or seller's advocate) claims MCA Gold condition, original paint, and original options, when it's just barely missing the boat on all three counts.

But like I said, a very nice-looking and probably solid car nonetheless. I'd be interested at $20K.

• missing Ram Air decals

Agree with Eric here - if you want to say MCA standards...

It has an incorrect ram air base.

Lower blackout is not correct on the bottom of the doors or in the door jambs

You might also want to buy a 10.00 shifter seal

• missing Ram Air decals

Agree with Eric here - if you want to say MCA standards...

It has an incorrect ram air base.

Lower blackout is not correct on the bottom of the doors or in the door jambs

You might also want to buy a 10.00 shifter seal
Given the claim the criticism is fair. I also noticed the well area of the convertible top appears to be either brown or primer?

But it is a BEAUTIFUL car.

Given the claim the criticism is fair. I also noticed the well area of the convertible top appears to be either brown or primer?

But it is a BEAUTIFUL car.
Thanks for 'getting it.' My intent was not to pick apart the car, but rather, the write-up.

I'm writing performance evals for my employees right now, so I'm in the "if your words don't match your rating, kick it back mode." :shootself:

I have seen this car on eBay before. There are lots of items like has been pointed out about details of the car.

You could get the side stripes like are on the car it is shown in the showroom brochure. Remember you could Special Order about anything you wanted but it will have the six digit DSO if it was special order. There were 144 special order for paint and trim 73 mustangs made covering all models, verts, coupes, fastback and Mach 1. I have a 73 Vert and there is another member that has a 71 Mach. The appearance protection side strips are not there and I don't think I saw the spare tire lock part of that package. The black out of the back half of the front bumper is not there either. The trunk is not sprayed correctly the side marker lights should have spatter paint on them and overspray on the tail light housings. It looks sorry but that is how they were.

It is a nice car and 99.9% of the people out there do not know the difference they just look at the eye candy. I see this in most of the higher dollar cars for sale the little details are not there just the candy to flip the car and make quick money.

When I have questioned the big sellers they get mad and say they know what they are doing and question our knowledge. They talk of the hundreds or thousands of cars they have sold. I did have one that actually thanked me for telling him some of the little details that would have made his car really look great.

Remember the MCA wrote the rules to make their judges cars correct or that is my opinion.

One reason I do not attend shows too much politics for me.

David

I'm not familiar with the spare tire hold down thingy.

Mine is just a spinner. Is that some kind of lock?

Yes there was a locking Large Wing nut that was keyed like the trunk. Most people just tossed it and put wing nut on. You can find on eBay pretty often. I just got new computer so do not have a picture on here I can show. If you look at the showroom brochure it should have a picture of the locking spare must have been a N.Y. thing who breaks into your trunk to steal the spare. I know my nephew drove 18 wheelers and when going through N.Y. they would run out at red light cut the chain on the spare tire under the trailer and steal it while at the light, lol. Hey if I was hungry I would do that.

Just like the side stripes are shown in the brochure and most think they were 71 - 72 but you could order on 73.

What sucks is that you special order different color and say side stripes it will not show up in the Marti. I am going through this right now with my Black 73 vert. Marti cannot even tell me what color the car was painted but only that it was special order. The Build Sheet that was under the carpet has special instructions to "Install Argent Bumper". I also says something about the Hood and another special instruction that I or Marti could not make out along with engineering or part numbers.

So from the build sheet I have the car probably had argent side stripes, argent painted stipe in hood and Argent bumper but since it is not on Marti MCA would laugh at the car even though I was built that way. People are so narrow minded when things are not normal they think that it has to be incorrect. Ford would do about anything you wanted as long as it did not have to go through government approval such as the ram air on a 4V for 73.

I have not given up and hope that somewhere in Ford that here is still a file with the Special order info still alive.

David

Back