Center dash bezel

IMG_20151010_195020_059.thumb.jpg.d4d068dcc3665ede3227670291d9d326.jpg Does someone have a picture of a stock never been painted center dash bezel for a 72 black standard interior Mach 1? This is what mine looks like What color black is the center dash bezel supposed to be, flat, satin or metallic black charcoal? It looks like someone painted it all some kind of black at one time. Looks like they sprayed everything. Is there supposed to be a chrome strip showing? Thanks, Ryan.

1973 Mach 1, Porsche Guards Red, 429/C6

1972 Mach 1, Grabber Blue, 302/C4, currently under construction

http://www.cjponyparts.com/center-dash-bezel-black-1971-1973/p/RB18/

Matte black with chrome or some had woodgrain decal in center to match door panel

inserts on deluxe interior cars.

Others here have more experience than I but hope that helps.

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

This custom mixed black by SEM matches. https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_interior_paint_spray_65_73_black-141634-2979.html

The dark charcoal metallic is used on the metal dash parts and the steering column. https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/mustang_interior_paint_spray_67_73_black_metallic-146355-2979.html

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. I did use the met.black charcoal on the dash and metal pieces. On the center dash bezel is the whole thing supposed to be black or is there supposed to be a chrome strip showing? This is on a standard black interior no wood grain.

I seem to think that the ones with smooth faces are supposed to have some kind of veneer on them (wood grain, specifically - although, I did mine in carbon fiber). The all black ones should have camera case texture where the veneer is supposed to go.

I can't remember if the camera case pieces have the chrome molding or not (I'm thinking not), but the wood grain (deluxe) panels do have the chrome trim.

I'm not the expert, so I could be wrong. When some of the purists chime in, we'll know for sure. ::thumb::

Since the one in the picture is showing chrome through the dings, and the center part is untextured, my guess is that it should have wood grain veneer and chrome accents.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Quote [since the one in the picture is showing chrome through the dings, and the center part is untextured, my guess is that it should have wood grain veneer and chrome accents.] The center part is actually textured. It's hard to tell from the grainy picture quality.

Quote [That chrome would be tough to fix. New ones are available for 200 bucks or so. Check on CJ Pony Parts, probably a picture.]. Yes, I seen where they are available. I'm trying to avoid buying a new one. The picture they show has the chrome strip. Since its a repro, I didn't know if its correct. I really hope someone will post a picture of an original that has not been painted. Thanks to all that have posted so far.Ryan.

The CJ bezel is correct.

http://images.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/b/rb18.jpg

A quick and dirty fix is to use Chrome mylar tape. Easiest place to get it is your local hobby shop, it's known as Monokote Trim Sheet. You'll need a straight edge and a razor blade to cut it to width. Takes practice, but if done correctly is very hard to tell.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHX87&P=ML

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try the mylar tape first before I spring for a new one.

They ALL had the chrome accents

Repro is correct - 3 areas have chrome trim

Before these were available tried silver paint - didn't look right

Then chrome pin stripe tape, it took hours to do, looked beautiful.

Then one day I got in the hot car and the tape was hanging down everywhere.

Good luck

Don

Here is a pic of the repro

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3056

Good luck

Don

Here is a pic of the repro

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3056

Sound like I maybe purchasing a new one sometime unless I can get it to work. Thanks Don.

All my pictures are on the old computer. If it has been painted previously you need to strip the paint off. Some of the liquid strippers will not hurt the plastic some will melt it. The build up of paint fills in the texture and it does not look right. The Camera Black or Flat Black is correct. I have not tried the chrome tape but when painting the dash trim I use a rotary scissors and a cutting board to make any width of masking tape I need to mask off the chrome. The radio bezel has lots of narrow areas. If you are real careful you can spray then wipe off with lacquer thinner that is how I do the verbiage on the radio bezel. You can have them redone by professional including the chrome but it cost more than a new one.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Good luck

Don

I attempted to use HVAC tape and polish it - decided to cave-in to Don's better judgment and just ordered a new set of dash plastics... it was a major PITA getting everything laid down trimmed straight. Of course, I removed the wood grain vinyl and went with carbon fiber instead.

attachment.php?aid=32490

Good luck with whatever you come up with.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

What about the wood veneer? Can you buy this separately and then glue/attach?

1971 M-code Mach 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes