Windshield Trim seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I just finished polishing the stainless windshield trim on my ragtop. That was secondary to why I had the trim off. My purpose was to attempt to weather proof the windshield. I found some adhesive backed bulb seal @ my local Autozone and thought that may work. Upon installation it turns out to be a little too thick and holds the trim up slightly. I am planning to take the top pieces of the trim back off and trim the seal down slightly to reduce the height. I think it will work well.

Here are some pics.

downsize.jpg

0423111616a.jpg

0423111619.jpg

I just finished polishing the stainless windshield trim on my ragtop. That was secondary to why I had the trim off. My purpose was to attempt to weather proof the windshield. I found some adhesive backed bulb seal @ my local Autozone and thought that may work. Upon installation it turns out to be a little too thick and holds the trim up slightly. I am planning to take the top pieces of the trim back off and trim the seal down slightly to reduce the height. I think it will work well.

Here are some pics.
Jeff..look here for the size u need

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=c0kj5d

Looks good! I've never taken mine off, but I have no plans to drive in the rain and haven't even washed it since it was painted 13 months ago. But maybe one of these days I'll replace the seal.

cool and messy?
Really not that messy Roy, I applied some silicone to seal some gaps under the seal.

Here are some pics.
Jeff..look here for the size u need

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=c0kj5d
Thanks Scott, they have some that look like they'll work well. I want to see if what I have will settle down (I really don't think so).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yessir, Mr Ken that's it. Mine was really dingy, especially where the top seals against it on top. There are 5 studs and nuts across the top and 4 screws per side to get it all off. I was luck as the 2 screws at the bottom end of the side pieces were slightly loose and there was no need to remove the fenders.

I used the bulb seal between the trim and windshield frame. I have the original top seals. They'll be replaced when I re-do the top.

The polishing is not difficult. I used my bench grinder with an 8" spiral sewn buff, some gray compound from Harbor Freight and about 5-6 hours of patience. Work slow and let the compound and wheel do the work. It's kinda messy but not too bad.

I used the bulb seal between the trim and windshield frame. I have the original top seals. They'll be replaced when I re-do the top.

The polishing is not difficult. I used my bench grinder with an 8" spiral sewn buff, some gray compound from Harbor Freight and about 5-6 hours of patience. Work slow and let the compound and wheel do the work. It's kinda messy but not too bad.
See I said cool and messy

That looks real good!

Too bad I pumped mine full of silicone as water leaked into the interior from everywhere underneath the trim. Now I can´t get the trim off without breaking anything.

No more water leaks though! :)

I tried sealing the trim to the windshield with silicone too. I guess I didn't use enough!
I guess I will find out about the trim seal when I replace my windshield after I pitted mine from sand blasting the engine bay and the cover blew off...... That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I got caught in the rain last night. It did not leak from the windshield. It wasn't a heavy rain but a good sign so far. Now I need to get the wiper motor I bought from Tim (ponypastor) painted and installed so I'm not dependent on rain-x. :D

Back