2V Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2v
Ok. So I figured out some of the noises my car was making. Squealing was the power steering pump bearing (replaced pump) other noise is a crack in the passenger side exhaust manifold. Since it is cracked I am going to bite the bullet and go with a set of headers. Any suggestions? 73 Grande with Power steering, FMX Auto, 351c 2V. Thanks in advance. If you have a set that fits and are looking to sell them let me know as well.

Hooker Competition headers. I have the ceramic-coated headers, but the painted ones are less expensive. Mine fit fine with an AOD (which is slightly wider than an FMX) - you should have no problems with them.

Bracket not needed on our cars. only earlier cars with the slave hydraulic cylinder on the drag link attached to the chassis, they need a drop bracket.

I have hookers with a 351 but my tranny is a 4r70w. I had the same headers with my old FMV that fit too. I personally regret getting the hookers. They set very low and my go curbed on the very first test drive. I think FPP would be a better option. Maybe Hedman

headers.jpg

Wow - mine sits stock height, and there's something like 6 1/2" of clearance to the headers. Hedman's hang down really low from my understanding.

Here's mine on a smallish set of 14" rims with 195/70 may-pop tires with questionable air pressures.

headers1.jpg

The bottom edge of the metal piece across the lift represents the top surface of the lift, which the tires are on as they would normally sit on the ground (drive-on lift):

headers2.jpg

Of course (and I just realized) that's measured to one of the tubes - the collector hangs down another 3/4" or so. So, call it 5 1/2" - just to be fair.

These are Hedmans:

6-ford-mustang-mach-1-1971-back-view.jpg

I don't know about FPAs - someone else will have to chime in on those.

Hope this helps.

Wow - mine sits stock height, and there's something like 6 1/2" of clearance to the headers. Hedman's hang down really low from my understanding.

Here's mine on a smallish set of 14" rims with 195/70 may-pop tires with questionable air pressures.

The bottom edge of the metal piece across the lift represents the top surface of the lift, which the tires are on as they would normally sit on the ground (drive-on lift):

Of course (and I just realized) that's measured to one of the tubes - the collector hangs down another 3/4" or so. So, call it 5 1/2" - just to be fair.

These are Hedmans:

Hope this helps.
Eric those are Hooker Super Comps on the lime green Mach 1. I had a set. I can tell by the long collector tubes.

I had Hedman's on my 71 351c 2v Grande. They fit very well and had no bottoming out or leaks. The hooker comps are way to close to the trans pan for no apparent reason as you can see in sdstangs pics. I just helped my brother install FPA headers on his 70 boss 302. These headers are quality but not cheap.

IMG_1426.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hooker Comps worked fine for me. I only bottomed out my first set because I was tearing down a bumpy road and the front suspension in that car was in dire need of a rebuild. Subsequent cars also had Hooker Comps with zero issues, I also tend not to drive like an a-hole anymore either.

FWIW, I've never been a fan of Hedman headers. The ones I helped friends install on various GM and Ford products just never had the same quality as a Hooker. Flanges were thin and the unwelded collector flange usually resulted in leaking collector gaskets.

I think I might go with the Headmans, based on the dimensional drawings I was able to find on both them and the hookers it looks like the hookers would sit about 3/4 to 1" lower than the Headmans. The FPA's look like a great piece but wow, $715 for a set uncoated is a little steep.

These are Hedmans:

Hope this helps.
Eric

I have a 1" drop both in back and front spings and at my lowest I'm about 4.5". I'm going to go with a 225/70/14 tire which will bring it up .5". I went with them because I know they would fit with 4r70w. They look great and had no fitment issues.

Jim

I think I might go with the Headmans, based on the dimensional drawings I was able to find on both them and the hookers it looks like the hookers would sit about 3/4 to 1" lower than the Headmans. The FPA's look like a great piece but wow, $715 for a set uncoated is a little steep.
I didn't realize they cost that much. I guess I would have passed too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric those are Hooker Super Comps on the lime green Mach 1. I had a set. I can tell by the long collector tubes.

I had Hedman's on my 71 351c 2v Grandé. They fit very well and had no bottoming out or leaks. The hooker comps are way to close to the trans pan for no apparent reason as you can see in sdstangs pics. I just helped my brother install FPA headers on his 70 boss 302. These headers are quality but not cheap.
I'm happy to take your word for it, Mike - I know you know your stuff, after all. ::thumb::

I just remember reading in the article (High Yield, Mustang Monthly Apr 2010 http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-1005-1971-ford-mustang-mach-1/ ) that they were "long tube Hedman headers." That's why I use that picture so much when it comes to headers hanging down. I must've read that article a hundred times, since it was the actual inspiration for me getting my '71.

I know mine are pretty close to the tranny pan as well, but it's because mine's an AOD now, rather than the stock FMX.

Anyway - I'll see if I can't get some specific 'driveway pics' and new measurements sometime this week when I have the car backed out again. I have 245/60-R15s up front now - those measurements will probably change a bit.

Back