Coupe Window and Rocker Moldings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Well guys. I went to restore my moldings only to find out that they have a finish from the factory that prevents you from polishing a spot without stripping the anodizing off. So I am thinking about buying reproduction pieces but I am hearing that they are not so good. Does anyone have any experience with these exact moldings and how they fit and what do you think it will cost just to have a local professional to strip them, take out some small dings and rechrome them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent hours polishing my stainless trim with a wheel and white rouge

and it took off all the milky nastyness and looked awesome! but now

the pieces look like S maybe I should have clear-coated them... balls

Paul

Now I have another issue. Scott Drake and Dynacorn make them. Which company has the best reputation for doing it right?
Scott Drake does not make them

He does now. They just started selling them out of Summit Racing. The windshield trim is still only Dynacorn. You should have seen me tearing up my attic above the garage. I thought I had already ordered the rocker panel molding but all I had ordered were the clips.

:angel:

He does now. They just started selling them out of Summit Racing. The windshield trim is still only Dynacorn. You should have seen me tearing up my attic above the garage. I thought I had already ordered the rocker panel molding but all I had ordered were the clips.

:angel:
They are Dynacorn with a Drake sticker on it

I spent hours polishing my stainless trim with a wheel and white rouge

and it took off all the milky nastyness and looked awesome! but now

the pieces look like S maybe I should have clear-coated them... balls

Paul
The trim pieces are bright dip aluminum. You can remove the anodizing with sulfuric acid, but obviously that's not for the faint of heart. The polished pieces need to be protected afterwards, either by being re-anodized, or possibly coated with an automotive clear.

Honestly, the best way to handle these is to simply replace them. The rocker trims get beat up over the years and the repop windshield trims do fit pretty well, at least the one for my Mach did.

Sounds like the plan. I ordered them yesterday because all of my local chrome guys wanted 2 times the cost of me buying them new.

Well the short story on what happened. I did buy the Chrome parts from Dynacorn. They were pretty much a disaster so I sent them back and took my window trim and rocker mouldings to a local shop that the local body shops use. They did my window trim for $10 less than the dynacorn parts and the rocker mouldings for the same cost as dynacorn. No more dings and polished to a chrome finish. So now on to painting and clear coating. Anyone have a suggestion on how I should do that?

Next question. I remember when I took the vinyl roof off there were a few screws on the front edge of the window that had to be taken off. They pretty much just add security to the vinyl roof. Does anyone have details on the screws and where they go. My roof guy covered them up and I cannot find the holes. THanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back