grill molding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blblack

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertible
Question about 1973 grill molding installation. Got 4 replacement chrome pieces for the perimeter of the grill. Got the plastic clips into the grill. Now what? Any advice on how exactly to get the chrome pieces on to the clips?

Question about 1973 grill molding installation. Got 4 replacement chrome pieces for the perimeter of the grill. Got the plastic clips into the grill. Now what? Any advice on how exactly to get the chrome pieces on to the clips?
if I remember correctly.....you need to have the clips in the chrome before you snap the plastic clips in the grille

if I remember correctly.....you need to have the clips in the chrome before you snap the plastic clips in the grille
+1
My 72 came with no grill molding, just the grill. I ordered molding for a 72 and had a hell of a time installing it. It was just supposed to snap on the grill (was told 72's didn't use the clips). My grill had several raised areas where I thought the 72 molding should snap onto. I got them all on but with lots of grief. Were the 73 grill and the 72 grill different? Did I possibly force 72 molding onto a 73 grill?

+1
My 72 came with no grill molding, just the grill. I ordered molding for a 72 and had a hell of a time installing it. It was just supposed to snap on the grill (was told 72's didn't use the clips). My grill had several raised areas where I thought the 72 molding should snap onto. I got them all on but with lots of grief. Were the 73 grill and the 72 grill different? Did I possibly force 72 molding onto a 73 grill?
71-2's do not use clips the molding is crimped on with angled tabs

I'm trying to install my grill molding. The clips insert fine into the end pieces as the have folded over edges. The longer piece don't have this so the clips fall out. Do I have to crip the molding once in place?

1454249713789-1888607564.jpg

Good timing on this one I just ordered clips from Don and will be putting the trim on this coming week. I polished the stainless and it really pops now.

David
I answered my own question. I put the clips in the end pieces and started at one end. then slowly added the clips and moved along. I think the top and bottom clips really only catch on one side but the tension on the whole grip molding assembly keeps the upper and lower pieces in place.

Back