1971 convertible rear frame rail

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett7

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible
Does anyone know the difference between the coupe/fastback frame rail and the convertible frame rail?

I am looking to buy the torque box and rail as one piece however, CJ only lists the passenger side for the vert.

Also, has anyone ordered from Mr. Mustang? they seem to be quite a bit cheaper than CJ

I'd like to know as well, just bought a 73 and am trying to piece everything out

I don't believe there is any difference - rear frame rails are rear frame rails.

As i suspected, the only difference between the rails is the torque box. The vert torque box is more narrow due to the width of the inner rocker. Therefore you can buy the fb/coupe rail and notch the torque box. This is what ill be doing as I'm going to make some custom inner rockers

I can't help but wonder if simply installing subframe connectors might not eliminate the need for inner rockers on the 'verts. That would surely open up the options available for exhaust systems and other things that the added underbelly superstructure gets in the way of.

I too, think frame connectors would do the job Eric. I'm going to design some inner rockers that will hopefully be stronger and more narrow than factory.

On the 6566 years there is another piece of metal that runs inside the rear frame rail. Its a right angle piece roughly 1"*2.5, and it's spot welded along the lenght. I don't believe the replacement has it.

Back