Heartthrob exhaust

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastorpat

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang convertible.
I ordered the heartthrob header exhaust system for the 71 mustang. Here has been my experience with it. It took me quite a while to install. But I am mostly happy with the results. My car has a 351 Cleveland with the 2v heads. I have hooker headers.

First the problems.

The problem that was not unexpected was that the headers do not just bolt up to the primary pipes. The kit clearly says for headers that exit parallel to the driveshaft. The Hooker headers do not. So to make this work you will either need access to an exhaust bending tool or you will need to cut and weld up the primary tubes. I chose to cut and weld the pipes. I used an angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. I marked the pipe with tape. Once the angle was cut correctly it was just tacking up the pipe. Then removed for a full weld up.

Unexpected problems:

The emergency brake cable is in the way on drivers side. I will need to relocate the cable just a bit higher.

The passenger side tail pipe was not bent properly. So it required cutting and welding to get it to fit. I have contacted the manufacture and will see if they send a replacement.

Things I learned:

Get the car up as high as you can on jack stands. And an extra couple of jacks really helps while locating the pipes and mufflers.

Take the extra time right when you start to debur the pipes. It will make the pipes slide together and apart so much easier. It might save you a cut or too as well.

If you have never done this, it is possible. But have a lot of time set aside and have a helper you like and can work with. It is a small area under a car!

Basic hand tools and a grinder and a welder was all I used. I will include photos as I get them.
fdba97b6fc87a9516126453437b9beac.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ef09d13a5c83da9c14a3d4d90d9feeef.jpg

9e4c75243c786b961737613d31dad443.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
eb53316c5658bb22ad31edc495888eb3.jpg

ea7609c8bc6fa1ddd7e4a05557b9b974.jpg
143530e076e7f488079d320e4d0f4382.jpg

Under gosh I did not know. On the 351 cleveland the 4v headers will bolt to the 2v heads. The big problem is that they will leak on the spark plug side. The headers I have were bolted on a 2v motor. After getting the exhaust all bolted up I found the header leaks. So I fabricated a pair of adaptor plates. I then put 2v exhaust gaskets in one side and 4v gaskets on the other side. That has cured the exhaust leak. I considered replacing the headed but that was $250.00 plus getting the one installed on the drivers side. Truthfully the pain of putting the header up in was the biggest influence. Here are some pictures of the adaptor.

bab7e10cc065bf68188adae919f5bb8d.jpg

fe71dbb9af55f193a867ec682a2a132b.jpg

Very nice job on the adapter and exhaust gasket comparison.

Earlier this year I posted a thread in the "Engine, Drivetrain and Performance" Tutorial with a couple illustrations showing the difference in 2V and 4V intake and exhaust gaskets. What you have done is much better than what I have:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-351c-2v-4v-manifold-gasket-comparison?pid=251662#pid251662

Maybe you can post your pictures there, too, so they are easy to find.

Thanks,

Don

Further reference material, for those who are still scratching their heads...

Back when I was trying to wrap my head around the differences in the 2V & 4V head's "gasket sealing surfaces," I put some lines in the pictures to help show the differences, as your eyeballs go back and forth.

351 2V - Stock.jpg

351 4V - Stock.jpg

Back