Dynacorn 71-73 Ram Air air cleaner assembly

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeZapU

Reaction score
My Car
12 GT
73 Mach 1
85 GT
66 F-100
With my new engine combination I needed some more clearance for my air cleaner because of the taller Blue Thunder intake manifold.  I was not about to cut up my original air cleaner so I purchased this Dynacorn replica to do the cutting on.  I figured with some work I could pass it off as original and most people would be none the wiser.  

After receiving it I thought I would post up a review as when I was researching this air cleaner there was no significant detailed reviews or pictures.  Not sure exactly where a post like this should really go so I decided to place it into the product reviews.  I hope this helps people in the future when they decide to make a informed purchase, or see one installed on a car at a show.  Hopefully the owner does not try to pass one off an a true original.  

First impression is that it is not too bad of a reproduction, but it lacks some quite important details that make it easy to identify vs an original.  I'll try and describe differences picture by picture.  Hopefully my pictures are clear enough.  Photobucket was being a pain as usual with flipping some pictures so bear with me.  

New black parts vs my original Blue ones.  

image_zpscw88uuru.jpg

Note the metal bracket to the left that retains the vacuum lines going to the snorkel actuator and from the temp sensor to intake vacuum tree.  

image_zpslgjcfzgu.jpg

Not sure if my air cleaner got crunched a bit on the 5:00 position.  the metal there is very firm so I'd think the damage would be more extensive if it was truly smashed.  

image_zpssvdx1fbc.jpg

Note the crinkles in the steel around the perimeter of the carb inlet.

image_zps98erxovg.jpg

Note the carb inlet area is completely smooth.  Also the locating tangs are not as precise as the original allowing the air cleaner to be rotated several degrees more vs the original when it is installed.  

image_zpso3bgkvws.jpg

Note the missing bracket to the left.

image_zpsnlhazmug.jpg

This is one that I removed from another air cleaner that I will be welding onto this one when all my modifications are complete.

image_zpsfrsqq5qw.jpeg

image_zpslpzodfzk.jpeg

image_zpsaoo18gr8.jpeg

The original air cleaner has this notch at the very front.

image_zpserhaeewz.jpeg

The repo does not have the notch.

image_zpswosn5o6y.jpeg

The snorkels seem a close match at first.

image_zpscgbijlja.jpeg

My original is slightly longer and has a bit that angles it down away from the hood.  The Repo is a tad shorter and it's oriented to come straight 90deg out of the side of the mounting surface.  

image_zpsadbn4cyb.jpeg

The original outer lip has some larger but stubby tangs that are visible.  The repo does not.

image_zpssiaxcbbk.jpeg

The outer flared lip is much more precise on the original than the repo.  The repo has some parts that do not even line up.  

image_zps1r7obtfw.jpeg

image_zpsz5djucdi.jpeg

The original flapper closes up tight.

image_zpshib2sr7r.jpeg

The repo has a big gaps and is generally lousy in execution.  

image_zpssestsfqc.jpeg

image_zpsiov52uvz.jpeg

image_zpszgzxorz6.jpeg

Air cleaner lid new vs old.  I do not know where they got the drawings for this repo part but it is contoured quite a bit differently than the original.  

image_zps4ysxv2my.jpeg

image_zpsyci3nntp.jpeg

The original has detents for the washered wing nut to mate with to resist loosening.  

image_zpsh43axfr8.jpeg

Repo is smooth at the center hole.

image_zpsz8tv34fs.jpeg

Left is a totally original snorkel vacuum pot.

Middle is a repo vacuum pot that I purchased back in 2002 when I restored my original parts.

Right is the unit that Dynacorn had installed in the snorkel when I received it.  

image_zpswwjnurci.jpeg

Note the Dynacorn unit on the left is not correct.  They installed this repo vacuum pot that is supposed to fit into the right flapper door in the hood plenum.  It "worked" for the snorkel but was not centered in the correct orientation.  Looked shady.  

image_zpsrcj99bmo.jpeg

Note the hook styles from the original on the left, repo 1, and the not really correct unit one the right.

image_zpsw755zgcr.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting a fair and detailed assessment of the repo part. It sounds like it will work for your intended purpose but wouldn't pass a concur judge. It interesting how some of the smaller things, like the angle of the inlet, were not done as original.

Other things are easier to understand. The smoothness of the base at the carb for example. Probably better tools.

Do you mind including how much the product cost? I think this would be helpful for the review. Also, are there alternative after market products?

If I was in the market for creating a functional ram air system for my driver I wouldn't pass up on this reproduction.

The original sale price is listed in the header of the review.

Great comparison for sure. I was an automotive tooling engineer for over 25 years and I do not know how they get the parts so far off. They probably did not have prints to go by just a sample to copy. I doubt that the tooling was built in the U.S.. I see lots off draw marks on the parts telling me the tooling was soft steel. In today's tooling world you laser scan a part and generate a 3-D model of the original. The laser will pick up anything there down to a piece of tape over a hole.

I am about to take off on my first repo part for 70 - 72 Mustang power windows and hope I can do better than this. I will put together a thread of what and how I do it for all to learn.

David

I am about to take off on my first repo part for 70 - 72 Mustang power windows and hope I can do better than this. I will put together a thread of what and how I do it for all to learn.

David
Make some quality a-pillar trim pieces. Seems like the market would support the hassle.

MeZapU,

Great review. My take on the reproduction aspect, Make it right and fit right. Why bother with the expense if you are not going to put out a good quality reproduction part.

mustang7173

Good comparison review, thank you ::thumb::

I made my own experiences with that a few months earlier but with no comparable original assembly I couldn't notice such details as you mention here.

All in all I am very satisfied with the complete set, it needed only rework on the flapper and vacuum pot. It closed not really good to the snorkel so I had to have the hook on the pot to be rebent like a "z" to work as expected. Noiw it works and looks good. I am satisfied with the price-achievement-relationship - my experience with all the repro-parts is that you ever to have to do some rework so it was no surprise. But overall it is some of the very better reproductions out there!

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Back