price check for a newbie!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefabg123321

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code vert
Beutiful car.....

I wonder if the spoiler is installed correctly. Some here should be able to point out any discrepancies.

Pricing seems high, but again some here are better qualified to give you a good range.

1971 M-code Mach 1

Very nice car if the rest looks like the pictures. Book value for "very good" is 30-45k, with 45 being pristine original.

Take off of that 20-30% for non-numbers matching, although it is a correct cleveland.

Take off more if the car wasn't black originally.

73 Q code did not come with ram air, just an FYI.

How much is it worth? Whatever someone is willing to pay :)

If you just want a good looking cruiser, you can find a cheaper car in my opinion.

It's beautiful. But I think it is overpriced. There is a lot that is not correct.

But I like to mess with my car. If your plan is to buy an gorgeous older muscle type car (and a convertible at that!) to have fun in than this might be a good choice. You won't get your money back and our cars just don't for the $$$ the Barracudas or other cars of the era go for.

If you want to take a car and 'make it your own' by doing some work to it then you can find a solid good looking driver for half the price and then do the upgrades as you go.

Either way is totally cool.

Very nice car but I think you could fine one cheaper if you look around. If you got that kind of cash and really like the car buy It. I would however have someone with knowledge inspect it for issues before you pay that kind of money for it.

Just my 2 cents.

John J

Pictures of the underside would be extremely important to make a decision. Wonder what the mileage is? Not having the original engine is not that big of deal as long as the engine that is installed was built correctly and runs as well as it should. Same for the drive train & chassis (transmission, rear end, suspension).

Let's face it, the pictures are glossed up and make the car look fantastic, so a personal inspection (or having a knowledgeable outsider look at it) would be critical.

These days it is becoming more difficult to build your own (with proper shop support as needed) in similar condition for that kind of money.

It would be a head turner since it is a nice looking car.

Thanks so much for the replys. I will look to get price down to mid to high 20's as i like the vehicle as it stands. I will look to add AC at a later date...any advice as to newer AC add ons for this? South Florida can be HOT! Thanks, Adam

Do a search for a previous thread on this car. Nice looking but lots of things to check like Marti report.
Hi there...thanks for the help. I wasnt able to find the posts you were refering to...any help in finding it? Thanks, Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was looking for my 71 Mach, I came across a car at American Dream Machines. Nice looking 70 or 71 that was reasonably priced. After talking to the salesman there, turns out it had been hit and had right side damage repaired.

You may want to ask them if this car has had any damage from an accident and if they have any paperwork / documentation on whats been done over its history.

Was the engine replaced because of front end damage, did something happen and now the frame is bent or cracked etc...Underside pictures would also be nice.

As a comparison car, here is a 73 Q code convertible thats a little cheaper..

http://grautogallery.com/vehicles/3257/1973-Ford-Mustang

Marti reports can be obtained here:

http://www.martiauto.com/

If it ALL checks out GREAT then that price is not unheard of. I think mid to high 20s would be a better price but it is a Q code and is a 4 speed so $32k may be ok.

Hello...first post here.Thanks ahead for all help!! I am looking to this forum to help price this vehicle. Id be interested to learn what a non matching engine really means for this year. Im just looking to buy a great looking cruiser...no shows for me!!:

http://www.admcars.com/1973-ford-mustang-convertible-triple-black-q-code-4-speed-c-193.htm?model=Mustang%20Convertible&sold=Available&

Thank you!!
I hope you did not purchase this car it has everything incorrect possible on it. I have looked at cars this company has put together at the Moline Airport in ILL. when I would go to work with John Deere. They are always done for eye candy not correctness or to high standards.

You probably do not know but Black was not an optional color in 1973. You could get it but it was a Special Order car. I have one of the Black Convertibles that is verified as being a Special Order by Marti. Marti cannot even tell you the color that the special order was for. They made 144 Special Order Mustangs in 73 of all body styles. I posted picture of the door tag for my black vert. There is also a picture of the Marti for it showing the Special Order status. You can see the black paint under the original door sticker and the inspectors stamp is on the door also. There are small pieces of the Argent side stripes on the door also.

If this was a special order the DSO code would be six digits instead of 2 and the door tag will not list anything under the color section.

I found the build sheet under the carpet on mine and it states to put an Argent Front Bumper on the car. They could not paint the rubber front bumper with just any paint and did not have the special paint in black color so they used Argent.

Another of these Black Verts was on eBay last week and I don't think it went over $7,000 and it was confirmed to be special order with a Marti.

Never purchase a car without you or someone you can trust going and reviewing the car. The numbers not matching is a big hit to price and can reduce the price by half if a true collector is looking. Most will not even consider a car that is not numbers matching.

My car came with 351 H code, C-6, Gages, AM/FM, Deluxe Interior, Tinted Windows, Console, Three spoke wheel, PS, PDB, New top. It had been painted but not to a show standard. I paid a little over $4,000 for the car running driving, not rusty and I pass them up pretty often for low prices.

I bought a Q code 72 vert one of 320 made that had over $16,000 in receipts for $5,500 off craigslist last year. I do not sell cars I collect them so telling what I paid doesn't matter to me. These cars just do not bring big money. You can go to eBay and check the Sold prices I don't think one has sold for $30,000 ever on there. I have seen 73 verts with just a few hundred miles on them only ask in the $40's and not sell.

Always do research the big companies are not restoration shops but Used Car Dealers that are just trying to take your money and put as little in the car as they can. Lots of members here do much better work than the Big Classic Car dealers do. They are flippers not restorers or collectors.

It is good that you joined this Forum there are lots of cars here and lots of knowledge.

David

DSC00142.JPG

DSC00124.JPG

Hello...first post here.Thanks ahead for all help!! I am looking to this forum to help price this vehicle. Id be interested to learn what a non matching engine really means for this year. Im just looking to buy a great looking cruiser...no shows for me!!:

http://www.admcars.com/1973-ford-mustang-convertible-triple-black-q-code-4-speed-c-193.htm?model=Mustang%20Convertible&sold=Available&

Thank you!!
I hope you did not purchase this car it has everything incorrect possible on it. I have looked at cars this company has put together at the Moline Airport in ILL. when I would go to work with John Deere. They are always done for eye candy not correctness or to high standards.

You probably do not know but Black was not an optional color in 1973. You could get it but it was a Special Order car. I have one of the Black Convertibles that is verified as being a Special Order by Marti. Marti cannot even tell you the color that the special order was for. They made 144 Special Order Mustangs in 73 of all body styles. I posted picture of the door tag for my black vert. There is also a picture of the Marti for it showing the Special Order status. You can see the black paint under the original door sticker and the inspectors stamp is on the door also. There are small pieces of the Argent side stripes on the door also.

If this was a special order the DSO code would be six digits instead of 2 and the door tag will not list anything under the color section.

I found the build sheet under the carpet on mine and it states to put an Argent Front Bumper on the car. They could not paint the rubber front bumper with just any paint and did not have the special paint in black color so they used Argent.

Another of these Black Verts was on eBay last week and I don't think it went over $7,000 and it was confirmed to be special order with a Marti.

Never purchase a car without you or someone you can trust going and reviewing the car. The numbers not matching is a big hit to price and can reduce the price by half if a true collector is looking. Most will not even consider a car that is not numbers matching.

My car came with 351 H code, C-6, Gages, AM/FM, Deluxe Interior, Tinted Windows, Console, Three spoke wheel, PS, PDB, New top. It had been painted but not to a show standard. I paid a little over $4,000 for the car running driving, not rusty and I pass them up pretty often for low prices.

I bought a Q code 72 vert one of 320 made that had over $16,000 in receipts for $5,500 off craigslist last year. I do not sell cars I collect them so telling what I paid doesn't matter to me. These cars just do not bring big money. You can go to eBay and check the Sold prices I don't think one has sold for $30,000 ever on there. I have seen 73 verts with just a few hundred miles on them only ask in the $40's and not sell.

Always do research the big companies are not restoration shops but Used Car Dealers that are just trying to take your money and put as little in the car as they can. Lots of members here do much better work than the Big Classic Car dealers do. They are flippers not restorers or collectors.

It is good that you joined this Forum there are lots of cars here and lots of knowledge.

David
I'm curious. Please explain.

There is no doubt that is a beautiful car. I'm not here to point out the incorrect things. I have watched alot of these cars sell and I've rarely seen one go for this kind of money. I do have a special coupe for sale, and there are other 123's for sale at this dealership. My car does have all matching numbers running gear and it is loaded with options. The Marti verifies it is a one of one. Its a great car. It has been listed with this dealership for almost 3 months for $18,750. They have had lots of interest but no real buyers at that price. At my request they have lowered the price by $1K. I'm not trying to make any money, for financial reasons i just need to sell it.

My point is selling one of these cars for $32,900, it would gave to be a very exceptional car. I'm talking about a numbers matching Mach 1 that is either a low mileage time capsule or a beautifully restored complete car.

I really do wish you the best of luck in your search. As another member said, mid twenties would probably be a good price for this car. Good luck...

http://auto-quest.com/index.php?content=inventory

My car is the blue/argent 1973 T5 Coupe.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thank you!!

David
Explain what part?

David

David
Explain what part?

David
What you think is wrong with it.

Explain what part?

David
What you think is wrong with it.
Ok with the pictures on their web site I can see the following that would not be correct for a 1973 Mustang Convertible to my knowledge.

1: Headlight frames should be black with shiny around the edge with the honeycomb grill. They would be bright like on the car with standard grill.

2: Argent paint on the hood not flat and shape is wrong around the radius. The attached picture is of an original Ford car never painted.

3: If you got an Argent or Black hood you also got the hood locks they were now sold separate but as a package.

4: They would have to show Special Order status with a Marti to have black paint. It was not an option for 73.

5: The side stripes were available but also a Special Order item but no proof.

6: Since magnum 500 wheels were still an option on I think Torino in 73 it could also have been part of the special order but no proof.

7: Air cleaner body might be right but the lid is wrong, never came in this configuration. Heat riser would not work nor the charcoal filter without the full lid.

8: Valve covers and oil filler cap incorrect.

9: I do not see the charcoal filer on the right shock tower nor the hoses.

10: The shock mounts are painted should be Phosphate finish.

11: Plug wires incorrect.

12: Coil incorrect.

13: No heat riser to air snorkel.

14: Shock tower braces not Slop Grey.

15: Door speakers’ aftermarket not Ford.

16: Lock buttons incorrect.

17: Gear shift knob should be black not white. Aftermarket Hurst is white. I have a NOS one in the box.

18: Center gage cluster not Deluxe Interior no wood grain and no chrome ring around the gages.

19: Radio aftermarket.

20: Has Big Ford car horn button center emblem wrong.

21: Cracks in steering wheel.

22: Pop open gas cap not an option on 73.

23: Honey comb rear panel incorrect should be textured on convertible.

24: Panel below the rear bumper from 71 or 72 there were no cut outs in 73, eyebrows over pipe.

25: No spoiler on verts unless special order can be shown.

26: Wrinkles in the top, to the right side of the rear window, bad install.

27: They state the numbers do not match. In my state if someone comes up with the title to an engine or transmission in your car with his number he can take it. In N.C. you have to have BOS for the replacement engine or it can be an unmarked service block. They do check cars at some shows in N.C. and even an open title will get you arrested. If a car comes from out of N.C. the DOT comes and verifies the serial numbers before you can get a title in N.C..

28: They never show a door tag or a Marti so that tells me lots of things changed or they would want to show it is right.

29: Hood hinges look to be painted not phosphate, cannot see the hood latch good enough to see if paint or phosphate.

30: Grill brackets do not look to be Slop Grey just a brief look in the video.

31: The fender bolts have paint on them so the car was not painted as in the factory with the fenders off.

They show nothing under the car so it is a pretty good bet that it is not right there either. A car priced over $30,000 should be pretty darn correct and a total nut and bolt restoration on rotisserie to MCA rules. Documentation of the special order options that would not show on the Marti or window sticker are not there.

Like I said before I looked at cars in person that were done by this shop and they were just flippers trying to make a quick buck not restoring a car. That always throws up a red flag when I see that. This shop is a used car dealer pulling all the quick fixes and make her shiny tricks to get a quick sale.

We have several members that have done much better on their restorations than this shop.

In my opinion this would be a restomod with all the non-factory items on the car and for sure I would not pay more than $5,000 it is a driver not a show car or a collector car and does not command the high price.

That is just my opinion and we all have different tastes in cars. Someone out there loves this car and will someday buy it but I bet not for the asking price.

Did that answer your question? Now back to polishing stainless grill trim.

David

100_2208.JPG

Back