1973 MACH 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prmlmbr

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 (I hope)
Restoration project
VIN tag gone
Engine gone, but found 8 pistons in the trunk
Auto Trans in it
I got the remaining numbers off the frame
3F258973
It has the mirrors on both doors
I believe it is a mach 1 that came with the F code 302
Hey Guys,

Just bought a 1973 Mustang from a scrap yard, no title, no VIN plate on dash. It is already semi restored, but gutted. No engine, windows, trunk or interior. The rest is already sanded and primed. So, I got the vin from under the fender, but its missing the engine code and body style. I know its either a fastback or a mach 1. It does have mirrors on both doors, anything else to give it away? BTW, it has a auto trans in it, and there were 8 pistons in the trunk. I'm thinking a 302?

Any help would be appreciated. 3Fxxx258973 Thanks

Couple things to try...

Look on the drivers side door for the sticker which contains the full VIN

Look on the radiator support for the buck tag which has the VIN

Contact martiauto.com and order their basic report for $18 and I am sure they can look in the database to figure out the missing codes

Order the Marti report on the VIN you have. There is only 1 consecutive unit with that sequential VIN code and it'll tell you the missing information

Get the Marti report

I have lots of glass, probably most of the parts you need used and new

Don

staggered rear shocks will tell you its a Mach.
Not entirely true. That would indicate the competition suspension package was ordered on the car.
Staggered shocks in a '73 would mean it was a 351-4V CJ car, regardless of model.

Ditto on the Marti report.

staggered rear shocks will tell you its a Mach.
Not entirely true. That would indicate the competition suspension package was ordered on the car.
Staggered shocks in a '73 would mean it was a 351-4V CJ car, regardless of model.

Ditto on the Marti report.
Agreed. Good info!

Ray

According to several sources of literature I have around...

Competition Suspension which included staggered shocks was standard on all Mach 1s in 1973 regardless of engine...

I'd question that literature. I have a 73 Mach I 351 2v Cleveland car with standard rear shock mounting and I also have a 73 351CJ Mach I with staggered shocks / competition suspension. .I've worked on a good number of these cars thru the years and the 73's only had the competition suspension optional on the Q code cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd question that literature. I have a 73 Mach I 351 2v Cleveland car with standard rear shock mounting and I also have a 73 351CJ Mach I with staggered shocks / competition suspension. .I've worked on a good number of these cars thru the years and the 73's only had the competition suspension optional on the Q code cars.
Here are the two sources was referring to...the first is an Eminger invoice which lists it as standard, the second is from the Mustang 1973 price list that was effective 9/1/72. Maybe I am missing something?

34ewzh2.jpg

mvsoex.jpg

It was always my understanding that competition suspension package is heavy duty springs and shocks.

...and the staggered shocks and sway bar was just a standard configuration for 4V cars. I read a lot, doesn't mean it's true :)

Here are the two sources was referring to...the first is an Eminger invoice which lists it as standard, the second is from the Mustang 1973 price list that was effective 9/1/72. Maybe I am missing something?

34ewzh2.jpg

mvsoex.jpg
Competition Suspension was a component of the Mach 1 package and was available on any model except the 250-6, but the contents of that package varied by engine. Only the 4V engines received the staggered rear shocks, rear sway bar and beefier front bar. All CS equipped cars received stiffer springs and shocks, as well as the variable ratio steering box if it was a P/S car.

CS was also a "required option" for various engine options 71-3, ie: it was required for for 429 cars.

Back