BOSS 302 install in a basic 73 Convert

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndt1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 white/white/white convertible, 302 V-2
If I install a Boss 302 with dual quads in my standard basic 73 convert with a C-4 tran with a 9" 273 rear end. Will it work or will I blow everything out?

Which Boss 302 engine and built to what level of tune? There are several different versions and meanings when you start throwing around words like Boss.

I know its apples to oranges but I run a 429 dual quad set up in a 71 coupe. Believe me it don't bog lol. And it torques the stuffins out of the coupe but don't blow anything out. I tried it out and it runs in the mid 10's with a 391 rear. I cant get it to hook up or it might flex the body to the point of no return. I am going to make a pro-tour out of it rather than a quarter mile car as I first intended to do. And thinking about tying the front and rear frames together also.

Thanks all, the reason I asked: I did a favor for someone and he offered me this Boss 302. He built it for someone else and they reneged on the deal so my friend reclaimed the engine. (the engine was paid for) Supposedly the engine was Dinoed and driven for approx 500 mi.

WOW, wish I had that in my 70 4 speed car instead of that mammoth 351 C. You cant even change the plugs on the drivers side with out lifting the engine! If you were closer I would trade lol. The 351 fits mush better in the bigger bodied mustang.

Thanks

Don

UPDATE-- I got the Boss 302 with screwin freese plugs but it only has an Edelbrock 650 4 bbl. If I just do a basic swap with my C-4 tranny an 9" 273 rear end will it work? Improve performance?

I think you will have to change the rear gear to utilize an engine with the torque curve of a Boss 302. You will probably need a higher stall torque converter to work well with it, as well. Boss 302 engines were not delivered with Auto transmissions or gears anywhere as high (numerically low) as what you have-and Ford did it that way for a reason. That combination is not going to perform well.

Consider taking the Boss built Boss 302 and sell it to an actual Boss 302 owner looking for a motor. Then use that money to build a complete driveline that is designed to do what you want!

Good luck.

Ray

Hey you have the engine and all the stuff put it in and see what happens. Don't you need a specially balanced flex plate for that combo? Was the Boss flywheel not weighted different for the balance. Since there were not automatic Boss cars I would ask some questions of those who know the Boss 302. You could do one mean burn out, lol. Nobody could touch you at top end speed.

David

You will need to run at least a 3.50 gear for that no torque Boss 302 to perform.

The 650 carb is a good choices for a street Boss 302 over the original 780. I think you will surprised what that Boss motor is worth.

Back