Carb problem EDELBROCK

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Carb is about a year old now and has worked well until today. it died on me today when I was driving it. Started to run rough at idle and then it stalled. It hard to start now and will not idle long. I noticed some fuel dripping in one of the bowls and I can smell gas when I starting it. I guessing that some dirt got in the carb. Not sure where to start. :huh:

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sounds like needle & seat are letting excessive fuel such that the fuel level rises enough to let it drip through the venturis and into the intake. I'd check for debris in the N/S, Leaking/Sunken Float, damaged/worn N/S.

Crazy question, but do you have a fuel filter installed??? It should have caught most of the sediment from the tank.. Also, it's possible the float setting has changed because the float may have a leak or absorbed some fuel making it sit lower in the bowl.. Just a guess.

Yes I installed a fuel filter when I put in the new carb last year. I guess I am going to have to take it apart to see what the issue is. I am PO because this carb is not even a year old and I am having issues.

John J

Carb is about a year old now and has worked well until today. it died on me today when I was driving it. Started to run rough at idle and then it stalled. It hard to start now and will not idle long. I noticed some fuel dripping in one of the bowls and I can smell gas when I starting it. I guessing that some dirt got in the carb. Not sure where to start. :huh:

John J
My vert did the exact same thing out on a club cruise over a couple of years ago and I only just made it back home. When I got around to looking at it, everything looked fine, so I cleaned everything and put a new kit through it. It ran ok but not like it did before hand. So after trying everything, I called a carb guy I know and asked his advice, he said everything sounded like there shouldn't be any dramas and had him beat, he said I could bring it down to him if I wanted too. So I ended up doing the best thing for it, I put on a Holley 750 vac, sec and has been great ever since. The thing is though, when these carbs were made by Carter (AFB) they were really good carbs and I had no real trouble with them, even on some decent horse powered engines. Since they've been made or recoed by Edlebrock that's seems to be when the real problems with these carbs began, I don't know if they've done something different to them or it's just the parts they use now. If your carb is only a year old maybe try getting on to Edlebrock and describe the problem to them and also tell them that your car isn't driven very much either and see if they come to the party, if not, the put on a Holley and don't look back.

Hey, HEY, HEY!! Quit hatin' on Edelbrock! :mad: :D

attachment.php

But yeah, sticky needle valve. Bad gas, fuel additives, schmootz in the fuel system, etc... it can all cause any needle valve to hang up, get stuck, not seat properly, or whatever - in any carb (not just Edelbrocks ;) ).

Besides, Edelbrocks won't leak all over your intake manifold because the gaskets between the bowls and chassis go to crap... since there are none, unlike some of the others (cough - Holley POS - cough). :whistling:

Are you certain it is a carb problem? An ignition problem could cause similar symptoms (backfire carb) -- odd that it was running fine and then all of a sudden not. I would check your electrical connections, verify voltage is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
The above advice is good, I messed with the fuel system on my Galaxie for a week before someone told Me to Change the condenser, that solved it!

The above advice is good, I messed with the fuel system on my Galaxie for a week before someone told Me to Change the condenser, that solved it!
Yes! Condenser for me twice! Who could think something so simple can make such a big difference.

And recently with short/poor connection at ignition coil causing voltage drop.

Yes I installed a fuel filter when I put in the new carb last year. I guess I am going to have to take it apart to see what the issue is. I am PO because this carb is not even a year old and I am having issues.

John J
I ran the Edelbrock 1406 on my Cleveland when I first converted to a 4 barrel (20 years ago) you will be much happier with a 600 cfm Holley 4160. I converted my 4160 to a 4150 by adding a secondary metering block. The Holley functions much better(response and idle) and the throttle linkage needs little or no modifications. I sold my Edelbrock to a friend with a 383 67 Polara. The Edelbrock is a Carter AFB used mainly on Chrysler products. Good luck.

attachment.php

But yeah, sticky needle valve. Bad gas, fuel additives, schmootz in the fuel system, etc... it can all cause any needle valve to hang up, get stuck, not seat properly, or whatever - in any carb (not just Edelbrocks ;) ).

Besides, Edelbrocks won't leak all over your intake manifold because the gaskets between the bowls and chassis go to crap... since there are none, unlike some of the others (cough - Holley POS - cough). :whistling:
Edelbrocks don't leak because the fuel evaporates out too quickly.... :p

attachment.php

Edelbrocks don't leak because the fuel evaporates out too quickly.... :p
Took ya 5 whole days to come up with that one? :bravo:

Nah - it was a good one... really. :whistling:

lollerz

I had an 650 eddy and the problem i had was the fuel fliter and lines that ran from the pump to the carb. I'd take em off and at least blow throw the fuel fliter and if you cant change it out for a see threw inline fliter. Solved my problem plus my choke was way out to lunch too lol. Good luck

Sticky valve needle IMHO. I had this one 1 Edelbrock and a Chevy 4 bbl stock 84 Carb.

Just take it apart and clean it up. I'd also check the float height. I've had to adjust 3x Edelbrock 1405/1406 out of the box because it was too high and I'd flood when hitting turns. I love Edelbrock carbs personally.

Back