Correct Rear Spoiler Position

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biskit73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 Q code cobra jet.
After reading some threads and looking at a lot of mach 1 pics I'm still 50/50 on which way the spoiler should be mounted on the deck lid. In my opinion it looks good either way but I'm wondering which way it came from the factory. I've had my car for about 2 months now.

20150920_144511.jpg

Well... it 'looks' backward from that angle. Need to look at it from the profile and determine if the angled edge is toward the front (backward) or toward the rear (correct).

Here is a picture of one that's mounted incorrectly (backward)... and what happened to it as a result.

Photo-0027.jpg

Hope this helps.

This is some great info. Thanks guys. Wolfgang great link. Lots of good stuff. Looks like my spoiler was put on incorrectly by the previous owner. Hopefully it will be easy enough to unbolt and swing it around.

Thanks Greg,

I wondered if there was another thread out there that talked about the spoiler position. My search just didn't bring any up. Thanks for the link.

Chad

I have seen so many mounted backwards. I ordered a Mach 1 new and still have it with 12,000 miles. The thick edge goes forward just like an airplane wing. I hear many say they have no effect. I do not see how anyone can say that just put you hand out the window at 100 mph and tilt at different angles and see the force applied. Same with the front it does apply down force. The spoiler on the rear does more good to break up the air behind the vehicle than down force. Drive one of these cars at 120 without the front spoiler then put one on and you will feel the difference in the wheel much more solid.

David

Did you guys ever consider the possibility that the spoiler was placed correctly and someone mounted the car backwards???
lollerz

So, are you proposing that they pick up the spoiler, turn the car around, and set the spoiler back down? Priceless. ::thumb::

We keep telling them the spoiler is backwards but say nothing about the pedestals. They can also be installed backwards with the spoiler facing the correct way. I do not have pictures on this computer so I cannot post a pedestal picture showing the correct direction.

I also have a 72 vert that came with a PO installed spoiler that was not on the car but he had put the holes in the trunk. When I looked at the trunk inside he had butchered up the inner reinforcement so he could get the nuts on. I looked at the spoiler and thought that the pedestal spacing look funky. He had mounted a 69 - 70 spoiler on the 72 and trashed a rust free trunk lid. I do not have the measurements handy to give them so you don't purchase the wrong spoiler. The wing looks pretty much the same but the pedestals spacing is inches different.

I think only Boss cars came with spoilers in 69 but do not know about 70. Does anyone need one I would trade for a good 71 -73.

It would also be my guess that a spoiler could have been ordered Special on a vert but you would need the Special instructions on the build sheet to prove it.

If it is like other special items they do not show up on the window sticker just the charge for the transportation to the Special shop.

Food for thought.

David

Did you guys ever consider the possibility that the spoiler was placed correctly and someone mounted the car backwards???
lollerz

So, are you proposing that they pick up the spoiler, turn the car around, and set the spoiler back down? Priceless. ::thumb::
::thumb::

I'm going to need some help holding on to the spoiler while I rotate the car. What size wrench would that be? I don't think they make 1/2-a-car sizes.

Back