blue wire with white stripe by fuse box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fonzogt25

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 w/ 1971 351c
what is the blue wire with a white stripe that is by the fuse box? it is taped to a ground wire that has two black wires going to a spade connector. im not sure if they are related or not.

also, i had a parasitic drain on the battery, when i unplugged that blue wire with a white stripe from the post ( i believe its the accessory post) on the fuse box, the drain went away. does anyone know what that wire is and why it was draining the battery?

Sounds like someone put an accessory device in and powered it from that post. I don't believe that anything was attached to that post from the factory. What year is the car?

Sounds like someone put an accessory device in and powered it from that post. I don't believe that anything was attached to that post from the factory. What year is the car?
The car is a 73. It was draining the battery but i have no idea what it was powering

The car is a 73. It was draining the battery but i have no idea what it was powering
Connected to the accessory post correct. I believe that that post is switched power so anything connected should not drain the power. I lent out my multimeter but when I get it back I'll verify whether the post is switched or not. You might want to follow that wire and see where it goes.

ok, do the ground wires connect to somewhere by the fuse box as well? they were always detached so im not sure where it should be connected to.

ok, do the ground wires connect to somewhere by the fuse box as well? they were always detached so im not sure where it should be connected to.
Do you have a picture and I will check it out in my car. It'll give me a better idea what to look for.

ok, sorry it took me so long, but i heres a pic of the fuse box. the blue/white wire is coming at the camera and so is the ground wire. the blue/white wire was attached to the post that the pink/orange wire was hooked to

hSo6y1G.jpg

It appears that someone has attached a flat blade connector to that post. I checked my car and my fuse box only has the post and I don't have those wires in my car. Your best bet is to try to trace those wires and see where they end up. By the looks of them they appear to be wires that were added on.

That blue/white wire and the spade lug black wire are for your cigarette lighter. Power for the blue/white wire comes from lowermost left horizontal fuse.

Now I can tell you why you had a battery drain. The blue/white wire is always hot (fused), but when you attach it to the ACC circuit (putting it on the ACC post, for example), anything in the ACC circuit is now powered by the battery through that fuse.

ah, well that explains that! thanks for all your help guys!

Back