Dynacorn vs other Repop Panels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1971 Ranchero
Can any of you with experience in this area tell me if dynacorn panels are worth the extra money compared to the lower priced alternatives?

Specifically, I'm considering a tail light panel for my 72.

Thanks,

BT

I wasn't impressed with the Dynacorn tail lamp panel I bought. I took photos of the imperfections of the panel before I sent it back. The holes that were pre drilled around the fuel filler opening were off center by a lot. There was this strange outwards crease above the right tail light opening that wasn't on the left side. The metal looked bumpy and wavy across the flat areas. I thought it was a little rough. Would it work?, yes but you will have to put more time in getting it to look the way it should. Now most of it can be covered up if you chose to have a finish panel and mouldings.

When I bought the tail lamp panel I figured I would spend a few extra $$ to get the name brand given their reputation but it is a waste of the extra money. They are all made in Taiwan even the Dynacorn. Some may be made in a different plant with better or worse presses.

If you go to CJ Pony parts and look at the Dynacorn rear panel image and if you can magnify the picture by scrolling mouse over, you can see this strange bump in their photo too.

The other rear body panel that they offer seems to look better in the image and for less money.

fuel opening And in the reflection you can see what looks like sags in primer but it is actually the metal that is rippled slightly. More prep work.

e6ula9.jpg

Off center on left is 5/8" from drill hole to outer flange. Right side is about 1/4"

345zr4z.jpg

Strange bump above opening

20f9csy.jpg

Left side normal. No bump

2euistd.jpg

If you find two identical (key word - identical) panels for sale - one under the Dynacorn name, and one isn't, chances are it's the same thing from the same stamping.

Far as I know, there's only one repop of those taillight panels available, and they're the Dynacorns (and don't be fooled by the "new tooling" versions listed in some catalogs - they're identical to the cheaper one that's often listed right next to it).

That said, I bought an OEM, NOS Ford replacement panel (later production, EDP coated) for my '71 and it is likewise stamped offset in the center. However, I've also seen that the repro panels are much more prone to that bulge over the RH taillight due to tooling wear or a light stamp in that area. If it really bugs you, go to it with a body hammer and dolly and reshape the edge.

Once you have it out, the panel should be no better or worse than the OEM unit. If it fits, can be centered within your quarters and the gas filler lined up to match the old panel, allows your end caps and trunk to fit together properly, and sits more or less level, accept it - because it rarely was any better than that at the factory.

-Kurt

Sometimes the same tooling is used for stamping but each supplier specifies metal qualities, strength and coatings.

Dynacorn does not have the partial 71-3 floors stamped

Only the full floor.

To Basstrix question...

That depends on the part.

Don

Back