new to the forums! got a few questions.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973Grande

Reaction score
My Car
I have a 1973 Mustang Grande, ( Work in progress)
Hi guys! Im new to the Forum and have a few questions for those of you who have "been there, done that"

I recently bought a 1973 Mustang Grande! when i bought it it was running and driving,I am not sur on the original engine, but it had a 460 Swapped into it.

(I will get vin code and find out later today what the original engine was)

Anyway, the engine has seen better days so im going to go for a 302/351.

Im just wondering what the easiest method would be?

I was thinking of buying a donor car ( grand marquis or something) and just use the engine and trans as a combo. ( as i have found it is easier said than done )

In my area it so much more common to find trucks. So my question is: Can i find say a f150 and swap the engine and trans with the exception of maybe (from what ive heard the manifolds or headers wont fit as well as id need a front sump oil pan?)

Or would i still be better off finding a donor car ( grand marquis, lincoln etc..)

basically i want a transmission that i can bolt right in without welding anything.

anyways, Thanks in advance

2ug17pj.jpg

2hfj7ye.jpg

:thankyouyellow:

the engines and trannies are interchangeable with the exception of the shift linkage on the trans. . you will need the piece on the trans that the shift rod mounts to and the trans valve boy has to be removed to access it . . you also need to determine if your car takes the long or short tail shaft housing . . most mustangs use the short one and a truck and big cars like a fairlane and galaxy use the long one . . you could use the long one even if it takes the short one if you shorten your driveshaft.

Thanks for all the welcoming replies.

As for which trans is in it right now i am not entirely sure.

I pulled the engine and trans a month ago and have the car in storage for now.

Im just trying to find some of this stuff out so i can buy parts and have them all in order before i start doing more work.

I would love to just rebuild and use the 460 ( I know it would be more fun. However i do know it was not originaly a big block and i dont like the way it sits in the car( front end sags a bit, and it doesnt fit in the bay the way id like it to.)

Im not sure if any of you have been following AutoEdits Build on Youtube of his 73 but this is along the lines of what im going for as far as all the suspension and brake upgrades.

For now, as i said id like to put in a 302/351 just to have it driveable for the summer. ( Id like to cruise it for the summer months) During this time, i will be buying suspension and brake upgrades to hold the added weight and power of the 460 and also rebuilding the 460.

Im not going to be building the "Temporary engine" just wanna pull it outta another vehicle and drop it in for summer fun, Hence why i wanted to know what trans i could use without modefying any crossmembers etc. just to make it go smoother when the 460 goes back in.

Anyways, Thanks again for the info guys and sorry for the long post lol

Cheers!

Howdy from Phoenix. Nice looking car. I like your idea of keeping the 460.

Your best bet for an easy swap will be to find one of our mustangs that is being parted out or sold cheap because the body is a wreck. That way you can get everything you need including: radiator, accessories, exhaust manifolds, trans mount, linkage, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want it to be a auto or manual trans? I would think a fox body with a 5.0 (302) with AOD auto would be cheap and easy to find. Easy swap too. Would need to change oil pan to front sump.

Thanks for all the welcoming replies.

As for which trans is in it right now i am not entirely sure.

I pulled the engine and trans a month ago and have the car in storage for now.

Im just trying to find some of this stuff out so i can buy parts and have them all in order before i start doing more work.

I would love to just rebuild and use the 460 ( I know it would be more fun. However i do know it was not originaly a big block and i dont like the way it sits in the car( front end sags a bit, and it doesnt fit in the bay the way id like it to.)

Im not sure if any of you have been following AutoEdits Build on Youtube of his 73 but this is along the lines of what im going for as far as all the suspension and brake upgrades.

For now, as i said id like to put in a 302/351 just to have it driveable for the summer. ( Id like to cruise it for the summer months) During this time, i will be buying suspension and brake upgrades to hold the added weight and power of the 460 and also rebuilding the 460.

Im not going to be building the "Temporary engine" just wanna pull it outta another vehicle and drop it in for summer fun, Hence why i wanted to know what trans i could use without modefying any crossmembers etc. just to make it go smoother when the 460 goes back in.

Anyways, Thanks again for the info guys and sorry for the long post lol

Cheers!
Welcome from Chatham, Ontario.

I'm not sure if you know, but you have a very good parts supplier in Calgary, The Mustang Shop. I have dealt with them for my suspension upgrade parts and was very satisfied with their knowledge, products and service. They even refunded money on a suspension 'kit' that had the wrong springs supplied in it. They didn't have to do that. Besides it saves the hassle of cross border ordering.

My thoughts on the engine; I'd look for a 429 as it should just bolt up to the tranny already in there. At least a 429 was an option engine for the "big" mustang, after all that was the engine the 71-73's was designed for. Stay with an auto as swapping to manual is costly unless you have a donor car with all the parts. Other than that, I'd look for a 351C 4V from a 70-71 before May of 71 when it went to open chamber heads. Quench heads are what you need. That's just my humble uneducated opinion.

Good luck with it,

Geoff.

I agree with going with the 429. The 460 and 429 mount the same but the 429 is shorter stroke and build more HP. As far as suspension I owned a 71 429 CJ and the springs were way bigger but are available. The 71-73 will handle the torque of the big block. Like was said above they were made for it. Also I agree to stay with an auto. The manuals in my opinion aren't as good with the torque of the big block. (again MY opinion ) I have owned both.

Welcome and good luck.

Back