Newbie style question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyostang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 notchback 351c 2v
Ok, so I wonder if I can put a rebuilt Rochester quadrajet onto my 351 c, what would a guy need to do to make that happen? New intake manifold and what else? Is this a bad idea?

It seems that most intakes (performance anyway) are of a square bore design (same size primaries as secondaries). Any reason you are looking at a quadrajet?

Well, I found one and my old Haynes manual lists it as a stock component for the 429, Just thinking it could be a fun modification and I was curious if a guy could juice up the 351 C with one? If you had a manifold that would accept it and then fit the thing. Maybe I should just get 4300 automate/motorcraft. There is always holly too. Just trying to get creative (maybe not a good idea).

Last edited by a moderator:
Quadrajets such as those Ford used were not that great of a carb. A buddy of mine has a 70 Torino 429 SCJ and has battled his Quadrajet year in and year out to get it to run properly. They also have a very unique choke pull off, but I suppose a thermal spring choke cap could work as well. They were only used for a year or so until Ford stopped using them.

The quadrajet spreadbore pattern and size is also a unique configuration (like the 4300D). Best bang for the buck is to go with a new square bore Holley or similar and tune it for your engine.

Quadrajets such as those Ford used were not that great of a carb. A buddy of mine has a 70 Torino 429 SCJ and has battled his Quadrajet year in and year out to get it to run properly. They also have a very unique choke pull off, but I suppose a thermal spring choke cap could work as well. They were only used for a year or so until Ford stopped using them.

The quadrajet spreadbore pattern and size is also a unique configuration (like the 4300D). Best bang for the buck is to go with a new square bore Holley or similar and tune it for your engine.
Thanks Bill,

Your advice supports some further research I did after posting. Im going with something else.

It seems that most intakes (performance anyway) are of a square bore design (same size primaries as secondaries). Any reason you are looking at a quadrajet?
Hey Cazper,

I think I am going with a different set up, thanks for posting!

Last edited by a moderator:

what do you currently have?

what is your goal?

you can most likely increase power and throttle response some by simply curving your ignition timing . . it is probably less than optimum for your engine.

what do you currently have?

what is your goal?

you can most likely increase power and throttle response some by simply curving your ignition timing . . it is probably less than optimum for your engine.
I am having a hell of time trying to get set on a system for a little power boost I am up for trying a new carb and intake I don't wanna change heads or cam.

Back