Power Steering Gear Box Installation

Does anyone know the standard number of revolutions, stop to stop, of the input shaft on a 1971 power steering gear box? Just had mine rebuilt through NAPA, and am trying to make sure the gear box is centered between the stops before installing. I'll be honest that I did not check what it was before I sent it out for the rebuild. The shop manual says it should be 4 turns, lock to lock. But, mine is less than 2 turns. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

Does anyone know the standard number of revolutions, stop to stop, of the input shaft on a 1971 power steering gear box? Just had mine rebuilt through NAPA, and am trying to make sure the gear box is centered between the stops before installing. I'll be honest that I did not check what it was before I sent it out for the rebuild. The shop manual says it should be 4 turns, lock to lock. But, mine is less than 2 turns. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

The variable ratio box is approximately 3 1/8 turns lock to lock, the fixed ratio box is approximately 4.0 turns lock to lock. Chuck

It doesn't sound tight. Even the quick ratio boxes are 3 turns. I would see how far the sector (output) shaft turns. I believe it needs to turn 80 to 90 degrees while the input shaft is turned lock-to-lock.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I have the variable box and looking at the elbow or bend in the pitman arm, its about a 90 deg. move from lock to lock. Or from 8 o'clock to 5 o"clock at the end of the pitman arm looking from the front of the car.

Jay

73 mach1

• 5 weeks later...

So, now I need to ask a crazy question ... when we're talking "turns" from lock to lock, is a turn 1 complete revolution of the input shaft? So, 4 turns is 4 complete revolutions, as opposed to say 4 half revolutions?

Four full revolutions (American, French, Russian, and Dominican Republic).

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg