Glossy or flat side stripes???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManniB

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Hi all,

I know that a week ago, there was already a thread about side stripes. Apparently, stripes are sold in glossy and in flat finish.

I have my hood and rocker blackouts painted in (semi) flat black. The stripe kit I have purchased years ago is glossy (yet to be installed).

In what finish did the original stripes come from the factory back in the '71?

What finish did you use for the stripes on your car?

My car is a '71 Mach 1 in yellow.

Regards, Manfred

well..i did a little recearch on that my self..cause my car has a painted on hood stripe simi gloss..no sticker at all...i thought it was wrong...and come to find out..ford did paint a few of the nice special older mustangs with a painted on hood..lol..they didnt use sticker on some of them...this is on the mustang monthly mag....{But sadly, accurate information on the black-painted hood has been minimal. This has caused many to end up with Mustangs that sport oddly applied or highly glossy topcoats} and i talked too my mustang restorer about it..and he seen a few factory high gloss mustangs...that he knows still had original paint...so its all up too you..you can paint it on..or use the stickers..both can be correct and right for your ride. here is one link about it..and shows how to paint it on..or a good idea atleast..lol http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mump_0006_how_to_paint_on_71_73_mach_1_and_sport_hardtop_hood_stripes/index.html

After looking at 3 unrestored Mach 1s/Boss 351 as well as personal recollection of the 2 I owned back in the day, and having Don at OMS confirm the above, the stripes were a "matte" finish.

Chuck

Back