My 73 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayh

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Here's my 73 Mustang. Imported into Australia late 70's and converted to RHD.
902668396985a8e024abaeed2caaebcd.jpg

Great color. I would love to see how the dash is done with the RHD. Did you use a donor Ford there to get all the parts? Always interested in the RHD cars. More pics please.

My son got his first job at BMW because he had driven RHD stick shift cars before. He took the cars off the line into test room then moved to go outside so you had RHD and LHD coming down the line.

Is it still a requirement that they be converted or can you keep them LHD?

I go to Africa and it is a little tricky driving on the other side for a while. I came home once after about 4 months there and caught myself driving on the left side of the road in the U.S., lol.

Ford only built a hand full of Mustangs in Australia in the 70's I have heard.

David

Great color. I would love to see how the dash is done with the RHD. Did you use a donor Ford there to get all the parts? Always interested in the RHD cars. More pics please.
Hi, I'll upload some photos of dash later in the week. The conversion was done before I received and it has been done very well. The only donor part that I can see is the Power steering box which is from a Ford Falcon XB (Australia's equivalent of the Mustang....google it). I'm in the process of tidying up the interior as I have my daughters Formal in a fortnights time and Dad is very excited to drive the Mustang :) Ps. Please excuse my poor forum skills if I'm not doing this right.

My son got his first job at BMW because he had driven RHD stick shift cars before. He took the cars off the line into test room then moved to go outside so you had RHD and LHD coming down the line.

Is it still a requirement that they be converted or can you keep them LHD?

I go to Africa and it is a little tricky driving on the other side for a while. I came home once after about 4 months there and caught myself driving on the left side of the road in the U.S., lol.

Ford only built a hand full of Mustangs in Australia in the 70's I have heard.

David
Wow, that would of been confusing for your son. I was in the US in 2010 and drove from San Francisco to San Diego with quite a few stops to enjoy the country. I can still remember the sheer terror when I first drove onto road with everyone being on the wrong side lol. It actually only took a couple of days to start relaxing. I can still hear the kids calling out from the back seat 'tighty righty - loosey lefty' every time I approached an intersection. I can recall a couple of wtf moments when coming across intersections controlled by 4 stops signs (not sure why they wouldn't be roundabouts). Anyway, I actually found drivers in the US very courteous.

In Australia, if the imported vehicle is over 30 years old there is no longer a requirement to have it converted to RHD and most people these days don't convert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back