Wire harness under driver seat 1973

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmqcode

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed.
mach 1 wires 048.JPGmach 1 wires 049.JPGmach 1 wires 050.JPGmach 1 wires 051.JPGHi all, I hope someone can help me identify these wires under my drivers seat. I searched the forums and could not find an answer. It is 3 black factory wires with a factory connector. There is nothing to connect it to and it has power all the time. The other green connector goes to the auto seat back release under the seat. I tried to trace them but no luck. Any help would be appreciated! Gary

Hi all, I hope someone can help me identify these wires under my drivers seat. I searched the forums and could not find an answer. It is 3 black factory wires with a factory connector. There is nothing to connect it to and it has power all the time. The other green connector goes to the auto seat back release under the seat. I tried to trace them but no luck. Any help would be appreciated! Gary
That's the plug that goes to a power seat motor.

Cougars had power seats - don't think it was a mustang option

I may have a 73 with the auto seat I can look at- that wiring rings a bell - just don't remember which one yet

Don

I had that plug too there but I cannot remind about if it was connected before disassembling. Now I cannot look after it because my interior is taped against exterior for protection against sanding dust and paint.

I have automatic seat release and seat detection with seat belt warning buzzer and lights. Perhaps it is the connector for the second...

I think there was no option for Mustangs for power seats! And also no heated seats ;)

There are three set of wires on that section on harness

Purple goes to the seat belt re-tractor

P-W-H is the seat belt sensor

BK is the Automatic seat back latch solenoid

The Seat back relay and seat belt buzzer is above the glove box

Thank you for your replies! I did some more research and I believe Autoedit is correct. It is the connection for power seats although mine never had any. This would also account for the constant power. Found one source that says a power drivers seat was a very rare option for 71-73 Mustangs. Of course Mustang being in the same stable with the Cougar, which has a power seat option. Anyway I feel better that there is nothing missing and will just tuck the wire under the carpet where it was. Once again thank you all! Great Site!

My 73 convertible has that extra wiring under the seat. It also has a switch shaped hole in the steel of the seat base that looks ready to accept a power seat control. A planned option that was never offered or just Ford/Mercury using the same seat bases & looms as Cougars? I suppose you could swap in Cougar power seat base parts for a factory appearing upgrade?

Back in the late 70's my wifes 1973 Grande had every possible option factory available except the 4V 351.

One of the options was driver side power seat. It was the same a the Cougar part and was definitely a factory installed item.

It was a DSO 89 car meaning it was used internally by Ford for "something". We got it from the original owner.

This was before Marti Reports and the like and after 300K miles on it we sold it to a high school girl who drove it for several more years. It finally just crumbled into dust.

I have seen several very late 1973 Mustangs that had the opening for the power seat switch in the drivers seat bottom frame. I don't think they intended it to be an offered option but more likely they were running low on parts and used some cougar inventory to get the model run finished.

- Paul

Paul, you are probably pretty close to what actually happened. These connectors seem to be showing up mostly on the 73's who were playing the final song for the first generation Mustang. Detroit assembly was preparing for the launch of the new 1974 Mustang which shared nothing component wise with the previous Mustang. A lot of parts for the Mustang were probably being depleted at a faster rate than the slower selling Cougar. Since they both shared the same assembly line and chassis it would be easy to substitute what Cougar parts you needed to "Get them out the door". The Ford parts catalog does not list a power seat switch, seat motor, or power seat tracks (which would have the transmissions for seat movements) for any 71-73 Mustang. A DSO option would certainly be possible with the Cougar parts. If that is the case, normally there should be four numbers after the DSO # on your door label. Tracking down that info now can be very hard as David can tell you in trying to find DSO info on his black 73 Vert. I think it would be great to end up with a car that was internally ordered by Ford. There would be no telling what kind of "One of" or special goodies you would find on your car!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My 73 Mach with a June build also has the power seat wires/connector and is part of the same harness as the seat back release.

15p5on5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mach was built in May and the factory wanted to change my car to automatic. I told them no way go pull one from parts or something it had to be 4 speed.

I broke 3 yokes on the rear in like 5 months. I told the dealer that something had to be wrong the 73 version of a 351 4V did not have that much power. They called in a Ford rep and as soon as he walked under the car he knew what was wrong. They had installed the small U-joint 9" rear and driveshaft and had to order a new drive shaft and change the rear again. The took it to a 3.50 also. But try to convince MCA that happened.

David

That is for the auto seat release solenoid

Should only have power when one of the doors is open

71 - 3's did not have a power seat option listed.

Don

Cougar had the power seat option and the seat frames were common parts. Might be a 73 only change where they started using up parts in expectation of the '74 MII introduction.

Well if it is the only wires under there, I'd say it is for the automatic seat latch release.

If is has those wires, plus others - then the door is open for best guesses.

Remember - a lot of these cars were modified in some way right after they left the dealer - just as they are now. Just look at the newer Mustangs on Facebook. Very rare to find someone that doesn't modify something - even on a Shelby.

Neighbor had a 71 Mach 1 back in 1974. He installed a power seat unit out of a wrecked Cougar.

I remember the car also had satin/flat black side pipes. Car was LOUD and he drove the Hell out of it!

Drugs and alcohol were his motivations... Oh yeah - he had a crazy aftermarket stereo 8 track setup and had a pair of headphones wired in he hung from the rear view mirror. (--Probably due to the loud side pipes!) sorry - memories...

Ray

Back