brake line flaring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhunter83

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
First question can someone tell me the size of our brake,gas and transmission lines. Second do they require a single or double flare?

the brake hard lines are 3/16 and are double. The fuel lines are 3/8 and have the ends flared for rubber hoses that connect the different sections. transmission, I don't know. I have a manual. Hope this helps

Ok thought I posted on this but it never came up.

As far as I know all brake lines are double flare. I do not think gas lines have anything. The transmission has flares for sure but I don't know if they are double.

If you are going to try to do brake lines get a very good flaring tool and bender. Also order Cerro from this site. http://www.boltonmetalproducts.com/

Cerro is a low temp melting alloy that you fill the brake line with then bend it and then melt it out. They have specific alloys for tube bending. I will melt in boiling water. The benders have the springs you slide on but the tube still collapses some. The Cerro expands in the tube when it cools to support the walls.

I have only seen hose stops on the gas lines and never worked on automatic lines.

Myself I would buy the lines bent if you can it is a pain and takes some practice like doing conduit.

David

First question can someone tell me the size of our brake,gas and transmission lines. Second do they require a single or double flare?
Don't waste your time with brake lines, especially if you've never done them before. The new line kits are so cheap you cannot save any money making your own, nor will they fit as well either. Fuel lines are pretty much the same way.

This is coming from someone that did this stuff professionally for many years and has all the tools....

Back