Need adapter for d1ze-9425-bb intake for edlebrock carb

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 1
Hello, start by saying im not that technically savy so bear with me please. I just went to install my new Edlebrock 1411 on my Mach 1 and relized that the spread bore adapter I purchased does not line up with the 3400d intake. Any idea where i can purchase an adapter? When i looked at the holley i took off there was a square bore gasket under the wrong adapter plate! I cant belive it ran as week as it did. Any help would be appreciated. On another note would the car benefit in performance and drivability with an aftermarket aluminum intake over what i assume is the stock? Car is very original so if there are not significant gains Im happy to keep the stock intake. Thanks for you help.

This might help you, I believe the 4350 & 4300d are similar.

http://www.drbob.tqhosting.com/tech/carb/4350_compared.html
Thank you very much! I found it on Jeggs and Summit for around $70. Any advice on weather I should spend the extra $200 and get the edlebrock performer intake for $270. Is it very hard, time consuming to remove the original intake and install the edlebrock? I am not very knowledgable about motors but willing to try. Would there be significant HP and drivability gains with a new intake? If not im gonna order the Trans-dapt spacer. Thanks ahead of time for any help. Michael

It's not that hard, especially on a 351C because it's a "dry" manifold, you don't even have to drain the radiator. It can also be done without removing the distributor although is much easier with it removed. As to the power gains, they will likely be minimal, compared to your existing manifold with the correct carburetor or adapter. You'll probably get more noticeable gains with the correct adapter. Check out this previous thread:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-edelbrock-intake-351c-4v

One word of caution, 351C intake manifolds are notorious for being difficult to get on straight and square and not having them leak around the gaskets. If you decide to replace it you'll be able to find several threads on this website that discuss it. At a minimum you'll need a good torque wrench, proper bolt tightening is crucial.

IMG_8351.jpgGot the new carb and adapter installed. She started easier than ever before. Something else is wrong because shes backfireing and poping. when i get it up to 2500-3000 rpm and let it stay there it seems to start missing or loading up or something. If i then pump the pedal a little she runs better for a bit. Im gonna try to include a pic of what i took off my manifold. Cant believe it even ran like it was. Thanks guys.

Got the new carb and adapter installed. She started easier than ever before. Something else is wrong because shes backfireing and poping. when i get it up to 2500-3000 rpm and let it stay there it seems to start missing or loading up or something. If i then pump the pedal a little she runs better for a bit. Im gonna try to include a pic of what i took off my manifold. Cant believe it even ran like it was. Thanks guys.
I had the same issue in that when I removed my Edlebrock 1406 from the stock manifold I found the secondaries blocked off by the same type of gasket you have and because the carb was sitting on a stock Ford 73 EGR spacer that too would not allow the secondaries to open. However, I have a 73 and there is a J channel adjacent to the bores on the manifold side which there is no adapter currently made to cover correctly. Better men then me have tried to find one and most change the manifold.

I do not think you are in the same boat with your 72 in terms of the manifold and hopefully the new adapter you purchased will work fine.

I took a beat up stock 73 EGR spacer plate and "custom" ground it so the Edlebrock secondaries would clear the bores in the plate. That is working great for now until I change the manifold - if ever.

The popping etc, could be a lot of things but first I might check the installation of the carb for a vacuum leak? Good luck and post pictures.

Back