16" Wheels

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

14jaskew

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang
302ci V8
Just wondering if anyone is running a 16" wheel setup. I'm considering making the switch, but im concerned I wont like the stance as much as current setup. I'd love to see some pics of a 71-73 on 16's at stock ride height.

Thanks

wheel diameter doesn't change ride height. Tire diameter does. Typically, I think our cars have tires that are roughly 26 inches tall. When you go to a larger diameter wheel you also go to a shorter profile sidewall to maintain the same stance. But let me ask you a question, have you compared the price and availability of 16" tires to 15's or 17's? In a suitable size for our cars the 16 in sizes are not as numerous as you might think.

I'm running 16" Crown Vic police rims.

WP_20150510_001.jpg

Jeff, I mentioned stock ride height because thats where my car is sitting. In my opinion the larger wheels look a lot nicer if the car sits low. I haven't looked a whole lot into rims, but i know tires run about half the price of the radial t/a I need to put on my current 14'' wheels. I couldnt find anything besides the t/a's for 15's either.

I went to 17's to clear my back disc brakes. Compare availability of tires and then consider that 17's 18's and 19's are now the norm and that odd tire sizes are hard to find and more expensive. I don't dislike 16's, I actually think it is a nice looking size rim on our cars and that the extra sidewall looks good. But I think from a value perspective a 15 or 17 rim size is more versatile. 16's are very uncommon on new cars and future availability will go down, not up in all likelihood.

All,

I agree with Jeff73Mach1 on the 16 inch wheels. They are the odd ball size and would I suspect the tires would be more expensive and not many options available. I am using the GT Mustang 17 Mustang wheels and their are many options out there.

ap9rnd.jpg

mustang7173 :bravo:

mustang7173, do you have any other pics of your car with the 17's. I absolutely agree that 17 and 18 inch wheels and tires are more abundant, but im worried they'll look goofy on my car.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to information gathered by the Rubber Manufacturers Association the 215/60/16 was the most popular passenger car tire size in 2011. 2012 saw the 215/55/17 take the lead and it continued into 2013. Even then the 215/60/16 was still ranked 5th. They also show that the top 3 replacement passenger tire sizes and 6 out of the top ten were 16" tires in 2013.

15 front and 17 or 18 rims in back......or 26" dia (235 - 255) in front and 27 dia (275 or 295's) in back. 71-73 Stangs look anemic with little OEM 25.9"/ 26" diameter tires on the back even worse they tend to droop sag down and squat in the rear. Man-up and fill those huge rear wheel wells with some righteous big fat rubber and deep wheels. Get that sagging sad looking rear up to level or better a slight raked stance. Some new 4 1/2 leaf springs with HD shackles well get the saggy rear up. To many wimp out on 71-73 wheels and tires. You are blessed with some of the largest OEM wheel wells please fill em up. You go up to 28" diameter in the rear.

Cut the outer flange off the rear bump stop rubber mounts then either roll the wheel well lip or trim the flange back to 1/8 or 3/16" width then tack weld a bent 3/16 on top of it. Take heavy mallet with a 4" long 4x2 board and beat the inner corner wells inward. I scrap off all the old under coat then heat the well corners (back seat and carpet pulled back) with a torch then I place a wet 2X4 piece against it and slam the heck out of it with a heavy mallet.

I also cut one coil off new 620 or 720 front springs to get the front down some.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the most economical tire wheel size combo is 15 inch as shown in this thread by "Austin Vert"......Looks awesome, gets the rear of car up where it should be. This combo will save you $ over going to 16, 17, 18 rim and tire combo's and you get the raised white letters which look correct and truly belong on classic muscle cars. I go with the low cost Pacer 177C wheels which have the really deep set wheels but the negative offsets will cause issues with the sizes below to be dealt with. Stick with wheels that offer zero offsets (centerline BS) as listed below and you can avoid all the extra work of shortened differentials relocated bump mounts and rolled fenders.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-sunday-afternoon-cruise-glamour-shoot

Sizes are ...................... Front: Wheels- 8x15 inch - 4.5" Backspace

Back: 10x15 inch - 5.0" Backspace

..................... Front: Tires - 245/60 Mastercraft Avenger GT

Back: - 295/50 "

KT,

The stance on that 73 you linked is absolutely perfect. I may end up going with something similar if I can get a good deal on wheels. The reason I want to go with 16's is because higher performance tires are far more available. It is my understanding that the Mastercrafts and the BFG's for a 15 inch rim are really just wide passenger tires with an S speed rating. It would be ideal if I could find 16" magnum 500's, but I dont think they exist.

Back