Instrument Panel Light Sockets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsbcats

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Fastback 351C
Ok, so I decided to try to replace some of the bulbs on my instrument cluster so I could actually see the speedometer at night. In the process of taking some of the bulbs out, some of the sockets just disintegrated on me. I've seen them on several Mustang sites for $3 each, but found some on Amazon for $6.29 for 10 of them. They did not say they were for our Mustangs but thought for that price I would give them a try. I installed the first one last night and it was a bit snug, but it went right in and that light is working! I plan on replacing several others this weekend and will post an update when I have them installed. The following is a link to the sockets.

Instrument Panel Dash Light Bulb Base Sockets

I'm also giving these LEDs a try.

LED Lights

thanks for the info, it's something I'm planning to do soon.

There have been several discussions about LEDs on this forum, polarity problems, problems with the blue diffusers blocking the light from the new LEDs, and ability to dim them. Do a search in the search box in the upper tight of this page for LED lights to find them.

Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Was finally able to finish with what I was going to change out today. The dimmer still works fine with these. FYI, most of these you can change without pulling the instrument cluster. You can do it from the top with just the dash top removed. Here are the promised photos.

22749661134_1643245484_o.jpg

23269628192_9d9f69a444_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Was finally able to finish with what I was going to change out today. The dimmer still works fine with these. FYI, most of these you can change without pulling the instrument cluster. You can do it from the top with just the dash top removed. Here are the promised photos.

i have thees and not dimmible
Both of you: pictures are nice but which LEDs did you use at the end?!? Which color and did you used the original blue difussors or did you get rid of them?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Both of you: pictures are nice but which LEDs did you use at the end?!? Which color and did you used the original blue difussors or did you get rid of them?

Thanks!
All I changed out were the lights and sockets, nothing else. Here is the link to the LEDs I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGI60RQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Thanks!
All I changed out were the lights and sockets, nothing else. Here is the link to the LEDs I used.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MGI60RQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Thank you ::thumb::

Tim, I got a set from Mustang project and they can be dimmed. Much brighter. I got white ones so the light is actually blue with the original caps in place instead of the usual green light.

Just for info.

anyone know where I can get the sockets for the center cluster and clock? they fit in a 5/8" hole and have 2 wires for the 194 bulb.

can you remove the plastic gauge covers to clean the inside of them?

anyone know where I can get the sockets for the center cluster and clock? they fit in a 5/8" hole and have 2 wires for the 194 bulb.
I have been looking for 6 years without results. I've had to swap out to a two wire socket from 1965 for a 1895 bulb. The plate that the sockets twist is much thicker than all other applications, which means that the normal twist sockets won't hold.

Back