How much power can a stock 72 handle?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpdj61

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang mach 1
I apologize if this has been covered before. I used the search box but didn't find what I was looking for. That being said, how much power is safe to put into a stock mustang before things start getting hairy. My mustang is a Q code 72 Mach 1. 351C HO with a 3 speed C6 tranny. Everything is stock from the engine back. I was looking at adding power through either a crate motor or a rebuild and wasn't sure how far I could go before other parts of the driveline need to be upgraded.

Thanks

Scott

about 300-350 HP on a stock tranny.

if the trans had a bad rebuild or never touched then the rating is 200-250HP before it grenades itself.

the original trans isn't that strong as it has basically 3 clutches per drum.

you can build up a C6 to take over 2000hp

remember the power loss is like 55-65hp in a stock c6, so on a 300HP engine making it at the flywheel you would get about 235hp out the rear tires.

if you want more performance on the same horse power, just change to a higher stall torque converter.

The rear is usually good unless you get carried away with wide drag slicks. The 28 spline axles might break but no big deal if they do then upgrade to a 31. NASCAR used the stock Ford 9" rear for many years with little failures. The GM boys even use the 9" because their 12 bolts just were no good. If you are going to put some HP down be sure to put a front drive shaft loop under the car. If you break the front joint that can do some damage without one.

David

Back