I own a Sprint Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clonetroop211

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Sprint Sportsroof
351C 2V
I wanted to post and let everyone know about the convertible 2f03184285. When Rex originally posted about the convertible possibly being for sale back in 2014, I emailed Joe to talk to him about buying the car. I never received a reply from him and I didn't have his phone number to call so I gave up on it. Then earlier this year when Rex posted his phone number here in the forums and saying it was for sale, I immediately called, and I mean immediately as I saw his number on here. I was able to talk to Joe for the first time about the convertible. He did say he had already spoken to a guy about buying the car and if that deal fell thru, I would be next in line to buy it. I never made an offer on the car or try to convince him to sell it to me first. We talked a while about the car and he was letting me know the history of the car and he also mentioned he had started doing some research about it. I know there was a lot of discussion on the forums about this and I've spoken to a few people on here and let them know as well. I didn't know that it was a guy on here who was going to buy the car until after finished reading all of the posts about this convertible. I hope everyone knows that I did not cancel any deal that was previously made. I kept reading all of the posts about the convertible and the supposed shady deal I had made and decided to keep out of it because that is not what happened. I was waiting for the original buyer to buy the convertible and then I was going to contact him to see if I could actually buy the car from him. After reading his post about Joe not wanting to sale the car to him anymore, I was curious to see if he was going to call me or if he found another buyer for the convertible. I waited around 2 weeks and never heard anything from him so I decided to call back and see what was happening. When I called him, his response was I've decided to keep the car and I'm having it transported to New York to my house. So after hearing this, I gave up again on this one. Right at 2 months went by and I receive a phone call on a Thursday night and it was Joe calling me about the convertible. He decided he wanted to sale it. I'm not sure if the called me first or second about buying it this time. We spoke for a while and I agreed to buy it. There was a catch in being able to buy it this time, the car had to be delivered to me before it made it back to Florida. When he got the car to New York to restore it, his mechanic/body guy said it was too much for him and it wasn't worth it. He said he was sending the car back to Florida to either his sister's or mother's house, not really sure. The car was already on the car transporter on it's way back to Florida and if I couldn't make arrangements for delivery and it made it back to Florida, it would not be for sale again. I got in touch with the driver of the transporter and made arrangements to have the car delivered to me. Thankfully, my friend's house is right off of I-95 and he was able to help in the delivery and unloading of the car. We worked on the car some that weekend and couldn't get it running so I decided to pull the engine and transmission and have them both rebuilt. After working on everything and having plenty of help from friends and family, we were able to crank it for the first time last Friday. After working out a few leaking issues and tracing down wires, I drove it last night. I'm not sure how many know this, but I already own a Sprint Coupe and a Sprint Sportsroof so trying to find a convertible is something I've been working on. Last night, being able to drive this for the first time was really special.

I know there may be questions or comments about the convertible. Please ask away and I'll respond as quickly as I can. As you can see in the pictures, it is going to need a lot of body work.
24l4uhj.jpg

Sometimes it being in right place at right time and having repor with seller. I have Sprint coupe and sportsroof. Probably never get chance at Sprint vert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats,

I have always wanted a Sprint Convertible, when I first saw the post from Rex I was interested, but then the thought of rebuilding an other car set in and I changed my mind.

Good luck, and keep posting pictures.

Congrats one of 50 that's special. The Sprints have really come into their own. It wasn't that long ago you couldn't give em away now they have a real following and I can totally appreciate why. Personally I have always loved them especially the interior colors although I'm sure they were and still are difficult to keep clean.

Back