gas choice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
Following conversations from recent posts related to damage that ethanol gas causes, what is the better choice for my 351c 4v if I have a choice? Non ethanol 91 octane (Noname brand) or 93 ethanol (Sunoco/ Mobil)? Will there be any performance difference between 91 and 93?

Thanks

In everything vintage I've tried, non-ethanol 91 performs better than E10 93 octane juice.

Following conversations from recent posts related to damage that ethanol gas causes, what is the better choice for my 351c 4v if I have a choice? Non ethanol 91 octane (Noname brand) or 93 ethanol (Sunoco/ Mobil)? Will there be any performance difference between 91 and 93?

Thanks
Unless your running a high compression motor over 10:1 you don't need "high" octane gas. just find the stuff without corn squeezin's in it.

you will find out depending on your engine and its internals.

you put 91 in and if she starts to ping then you go with 93 and cross fingers.

you can run an engine on anything but lower octane means you need to dial back the timing or introduce more fuel down the intake manifold.

the octane ratings have dropped since the 1970s even after lead was phased out there was 106, 109 at the pumps over time they dropped the octane down.

my opinion is use the highest octane you can reasonably afford and don't go crazy looking for race fuel. non-ethanol is better but even i don't go out of my way to find it. i setup my engine for 87 octane but i use 93 octane.

ha for fun i checked my area, closest place is over 100 miles away.

:D

ooo Maine has 100 octane

Back