What happened here?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
1973 Grande
Any guesses on how this happened? The rear half of the wheel well is pushed out by about an inch. Should I be concerned? It looks like the movement stopped at the brace that attaches to the top of the wheel well. You can see where the metal kinked (red circle). The outer wheel well needs to be replaced but up until now the inner wheel well looked pretty good except for one small area to be patched. Any thoughts on how to repair?

Thanks in advance!

wheel well.jpg

I guess your car got involved in an accident or so. The wide gap between inner wheel house and trunk floor could be an evidence for that. I would make sure that the chassis frame is still in its tolerances. Shop manuals provide all the chassis/underbody dimensions.

Here is a link to underbody dimensions:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/framedimensions1.jpg

First of all I would measure the underbody - in the worst case you need to get it on a car bench and straighten the frame.

cheers Wolfgang

That is definitely prior collision damage. Wolfgang is spot on about having the unibody dimensions verified before you do anything more on the vehicle..

Back