New to the site

lonely cruser

Hi, everyone! I am new to the site and new to owning a Mustang. I am not new to building cars, but I really didn't expect to take on one now at my age [63]. However, a good friend of mine had plans to do this car for years, but left this mortal coil before getting to it. After several months of negotiation [and a lot of pestering from my grandson], I finally bought the 72 Grande from the estate.

The plan is to build a tribute to our friend the way he would have. He was very prone to building sleepers, including an 82 Olds Cutlass with a maxed out 454. With that in mind, I just happen to have a 429 out of a 72 LTD that I have hung onto for many years looking for the right car. I'm sure my friend would approve.

As soon as I can, I will post some photos and hope to hear from some of you soon. Thanks for any input.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome from Arizona. I am sorry about your friend but and happy you are taking on his project. Thanks for saving an old mustang and you will like this site!

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Hello from Mississippi. Since your friend liked "Sleepers", I'm sure your 429 Grande' project will cause him to look down and smile. You'll find many friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, folks on this site, many who have done similar type engine swaps. When you get a chance post some pictures of your project car.

Welcome to your new Mustang home!

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

Nice Tribute!

Welcome from CA!!

Paul

73 Grande

351C 2v

Now 4v Carb/Cam/headers/T5

Gasoline is for washing parts.

Alcohol is for drinking.

Nitomethane is for racing!

Work in Progress photos here:

Last Update: 4/23/16

http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/therocket366/library/?sort=3&page=1

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Sounds like a good plan and I'm sure your grandson is excited. There are of lot of members here of social security age, so join right in.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Welcome from Oklahoma. Sounds like a nice project.

351w - Ford racing GT40X 178 cc aluminum heads - Ford racing(crane) 1.7 roller rockers - Comp Cams 280H magnum cam .544" / .544" lift - ARP hardware - hedman longtubes - magnaflow exhaust with X pipe - Duraspark - MSD digital 6al box - MSD TFI coil - optima red top battery - tuff stuff 140 amp alternator - weiand stealth intake  - edelbrock 1406 600 carb  - march pullies and brackets - Be cool fan controller - derale electric fan - FMX trans - motive 4.11 gears - traction lok - lakewood traction bars.                                            

Welcome from West Texas!

A very nice thing you're doing. I have an '85 Suzuki GV1200GL Madura motorcycle that falls into that same category. Good luck with it - you won't be disappointed when you get it all done.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Hi, everyone! I am new to the site and new to owning a Mustang. I am not new to building cars, but I really didn't expect to take on one now at my age [63]. However, a good friend of mine had plans to do this car for years, but left this mortal coil before getting to it. After several months of negotiation [and a lot of pestering from my grandson], I finally bought the 72 Grandé from the estate.

The plan is to build a tribute to our friend the way he would have. He was very prone to building sleepers, including an 82 Olds Cutlass with a maxed out 454. With that in mind, I just happen to have a 429 out of a 72 LTD that I have hung onto for many years looking for the right car. I'm sure my friend would approve.

As soon as I can, I will post some photos and hope to hear from some of you soon. Thanks for any input.

Between a 429, 454, and 460, what do you thing is best? My Cleveland w/somewhere @ a solid 350 hp, w/9.5:1 compression, solid lifter,....really loaded for some good ramming around on the back streets, might seem a little loaded down however to see her perform, a project in putting together a nice video at the track is a future project. Lookin fwd in seeing your Grande. I'm a modifier myself and always looked at taking a 71-3 Grande and putting a Targa Top on it.
1_12_09_14_11_07_03.png

Welcome from cold and snowy Iowa!

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg