Has anyone heard of the FiTech PAC EFI unit?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
I searched the forum and can't find anyone writing about the PAC FiTech EFI unit.

http://paceperformance.com/i-22321653-pac-30002-600-hp-efi-master-package-with-fuel-pump.html

It is said to be a self-contained and self-learning TBI. The ECU is built-in the throttle body so you need very few wires to install this thing. Overall seems very easy to install. Searching in the internet I read excellent reviews. The only negatives are questions in regards to reliability due to the ECU being exposed to the engine heat, specially when the car is turned off. In this case maybe a plastic spacer should help. Only time will tell on that one. The ECU unit could also be programmed to work with the timing.

I am not sold into the idea of running EFI, but after seeing this system at a decent price, a part of me is feeling more compelled. Not right now, but perhaps in a near future. It just sounds like a cool mod that gives you a lot of control of timing and A/F. I didn't find dyno information.

Here is a thread that shows the installation in a Corvette:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/3670852-fitech-go-efi-review.html#post1589890693

Edit: for whatever is worth I found one Dyno comparison and 441 LS7. The HP and Torque are very close except in the mid range where the EFI unit was a tad ahead. The low end appears to be a tad better too, which make sense due to what I expect to give better fuel atomization at the low end.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774336&highlight=Fitech%20(http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=774336&highlight=Fitech)

Last edited by a moderator:
I was actually looking at this unit yesterday as I was wondering how many new systems have come out and what improvements were made since I bought mine. This unit seems pretty good but you really don't know till you install it and see how it works on your setup. There is a definite learning curb that you go through when you start setting these up. Once you have them dialed in they are way better than a carb in my opinion. I can get in start the car up and head down the road without having to wait for the motor to warm up even on the coldest days, something that I couldn't do before. Also these can be set up to control timing and that the computer is always fine tuning the system (learning) to optimize the performance. What I have seen is that all the TBI systems are pretty much the same irt features and capabilities. It is best to go to the manufacturer forums to see what problems everyone is seeing when making your decision.

There are several threads on VMF from people who have bought that system. They all seem happy with it.

If I understand correctly, FI Tech is the manufacturer, PAC is just one of many distributors.

Holley is coming out with a new budget TB EFI called the "Sniper EFI" for under $1000.00. Supposed to be available in the spring.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/holley_introduces_sniper_efi_systems/

There are several threads on VMF from people who have bought that system. They all seem happy with it.

If I understand correctly, FI Tech is the manufacturer, PAC is just one of many distributors.

Holley is coming out with a new budget TB EFI called the "Sniper EFI" for under $1000.00. Supposed to be available in the spring.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/holley_introduces_sniper_efi_systems/
This one from Holley looks very similar based on the description. This is nice... i guess there is some competition going on, which is good for us...... maybe we have to wait a little until these units are debugged.

1971 M-code Mach 1

EFI is on my want list, nice to know there is another option. I like the cool factor of the Powerjection appearance, but cool looking isn't worth the $900 difference in the price tag between FiTech and Powerjection. However, I'll wait until the bugs are worked out and there are a lot of customer reviews about it.

http://www.fitechefi.com/

I love the #1 question in their FAQ section.

1 - Why are your systems so inexpensive?

We like to answer that with another question. Why are the others so expensive? It's a throttle body, 4 injectors, a few sensors and an ECU. Not much there when you really break it down. Our OE ties allow us to source components at a great rate and our engineering is spread over many projects so it is not all rolled into the price of one system. We have been designing OE systems privately for 16 years and believe that the only way the EFI will EVER replace a carburetor is if the cost gets more reasonable. We have been working to make that happen and this is the first step. Expect more in the future ! Go EFI!!

I am still looking at this EFI system. I am trying to figure out what distributor would work with it in order to incorporate the built-in timing control. I have a Pertronix III distributor and coil in a box. However, I heard from FiTech that the PIII doesn't work so I am considering selling the PIII.

That said, FiTech specifies that a 2-wire distributor should be used. Do you guys know of a 2-wire distributor with magnetic pickup that would work with the 351C? The Duraspark distributors are 3-wire, so it probably won't work. There are some MSDs and Summits that have 2-wires, but I wonder if there is an OEM or Cardone that would work. On the other hand one of the Duraspark wires is a ground, so maybe it can be considered a 2-wire. I am confused and FiTech's website is not completely clear on this subject.

Fitech really peaks my interest for when it comes time do get a fuel system for my car. Ive even considered it for my 94 chev 4x4 because the chevy tbi injection just doesnt support much power. Maybe one day ill get my hands on the system. I have heard nothing but good reviews

I am still looking at this EFI system. I am trying to figure out what distributor would work with it in order to incorporate the built-in timing control. I have a Pertronix III distributor and coil in a box. However, I heard from FiTech that the PIII doesn't work so I am considering selling the PIII.

That said, FiTech specifies that a 2-wire distributor should be used. Do you guys know of a 2-wire distributor with magnetic pickup that would work with the 351C? The Duraspark distributors are 3-wire, so it probably won't work. There are some MSDs and Summits that have 2-wires, but I wonder if there is an OEM or Cardone that would work. On the other hand one of the Duraspark wires is a ground, so maybe it can be considered a 2-wire. I am confused and FiTech's website is not completely clear on this subject.
You are correct in your assumption that one of the three Duraspark wires are a ground. It is not needed. Countless MSD ignition boxes are wired to the two functioning Duraspark wires. Even on my 1985 Mustang has been that way for almost 10 years now.

You are correct in your assumption that one of the three Duraspark wires are a ground. It is not needed. Countless MSD ignition boxes are wired to the two functioning Duraspark wires. Even on my 1985 Mustang has been that way for almost 10 years now.
Good point, so if these distributors are used with MSD ignition boxes and FiTech indicates that their unit is compatible with MSD 2-wire distributors, then it would make sense that the Duraspark type of distributor works. Then the question would be, can the Duraspark module be used with FiTech and is there any advantage to using the module in combination with the ignition control of the EFI unit?

I just looked at the installation manual and it will work with a MSD distributor without a ignition box. For the atomic you need to use an adjustable rotor that is set 15* at retard in addition to locking out the mechanical advance. There is no mention of this in their instructions so that would be the first question that I would ask their techs.

I just looked at the installation manual and it will work with a MSD distributor without a ignition box. For the atomic you need to use an adjustable rotor that is set 15* at retard in addition to locking out the mechanical advance. There is no mention of this in their instructions so that would be the first question that I would ask their techs.
It will also work with the MSD CDI box. Look at page 10 of the instructions.

http://paceperformance.com/attachment/128382-.bin

Here they give the instructions for adjusting the distributor:

http://fitechefi.com/virtualoffice_files/QuickStartGuideFinalV5.pdf

The mechanical advance needs to be locked as you mentioned and the rotor has to be phased.

They talk about locking the mechanical advance, but what about the vacuum advance. Is that typically locked as well?

Yes, it would appear the ECU has a built in ignition module. I am wondering the same thing about using a duraspark module. I wonder how the duraspark 1 module compares to the built in unit.

Yes, it would appear the ECU has a built in ignition module. I am wondering the same thing about using a duraspark module. I wonder how the duraspark 1 module compares to the built in unit.
Exactly. That's what I am trying to figure out. If the Duraspark I module can be hooked, and if it is an improvement or it becomes redundant once you use the FiTech EFI ignition module.

After doing some research I don't know how the Duraspark module can be connected. If you look at FiTech's instruction with external module, they show a "points" trigger wire output. This trigger would work with MSD CDI boxes because they are designed to work with either magnetic (2-wires) or points (1-wire) triggering. however, the Duraspark has a two-wire magnetic trigger so I can't see a way to connect the FiTech to the Duraspark module. I am basing all this on the wiring diagrams, but not on experience. Maybe someone here that knows more about this stuff can clarify. In the mean time I have emailed FiTech but their response time is slow.

The more I read about this system, the more I like it. They claim to use all GM OEM sensors and a Bosch O2 sensor. I would be happier if the warranty was longer than 1 year.

I sent them a few questions...some regarding the duraspark 1. From what I read, they say the timing control doesn't work with HEI...not sure if that's GM specific or HEI in general (I think duraspark 1 is considered high energy). I also wanted to know if this would work with a Mallory Unilite distributor I picked up, recently.

I wish they were more explicit in regards to ignition compatibility (hint!! if you guys are reading). In their literature they talk about ignition control, so I assume this is only controlling the ignition advance. The Duraspark module changes the dwell angle in addition to amplifying the signal for more coil power. Based on this, I think there will be a value of using the Duraspark module on top of the FiTech ignition control if they are compatible.

The FiTech instructions show a diagram to connect with CDI ignition where a points style trigger wire is connected. This is great for the MSD CDI box that works with either 1-wire points trigger or 2-wire magnetic trigger. However, the Duraspark module seems to need a 2-wire magnetic trigger instead. So it may not work, but I hope they let us know soon.

In my info request, I specifically noted the part about DS1 having variable dwell and asked if the built in coil trigger has similar capabilities. I'll post up their response when it comes.

The more I read about this system, the more I like it. They claim to use all GM OEM sensors and a Bosch O2 sensor. I would be happier if the warranty was longer than 1 year.

I also wanted to know if this would work with a Mallory Unilite distributor I picked up, recently.
Basstrix, did you ever receive an answer concerning the Malory distributor? That's exactly what I have. Thanks.

The only thing I've received was an immediate response (probably automated) that they'd received my message. Kinda bummed they haven't responded yet.

Back