guage cluster

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

Have the gauge cluster out of my car and want to bench test it with some new LED bulbs with and without the blue globes inside the housing. Where do I attach 12V leads to power the lights on ? Don't want to damage anything... thanks

I just got my December Mustang Monthly. There is an article on gauge clusters. It covers earlier ones, but does have info on the 71-73's and does refer to LED's. Worth a look if you don't subscribe.

For what it’s worth, on the polarity issue, I have a printout that I received from Bill at HiPo Parts, when I ordered my Elite Series II led dash lights that show the correct polarity for the bulbs on the printed circuit (for both tach and non tach clusters).  Unfortunately it is copyrighted, so I don’t think I can post the picture here without ruffling  Bill’s feathers...perhaps have a look at hipo’s website ....or maybe someone else has previously posted a copy similar to it....or contact Bill directly....if needed.

I am not sure it matters either way, but for what it is worth, I left my blue diffuser domes in the cluster, when I replaced the bulbs with led.  I can see the cluster lights much much better as apposed to the stock incandescent bulbs at night with my old eyes.  But I didn’t compare with and without the blue diffuser domes....although I have heard that getting those domes out can be challenging without breaking the ~50 year old brittle plastic tabs.

perhaps have a look at hipo’s website

I am not sure it matters either way, but for what it is worth, I left my blue diffuser domes in the cluster, when I replaced the bulbs with led.  I can see the cluster lights much much better as apposed to the stock incandescent bulbs at night with my old eyes.  But I didn’t compare with and without the blue diffuser domes....although I have heard that getting those domes out can be challenging without breaking the ~50 year old brittle plastic tabs.

I'll check hipo website - thanks

Also, surprisingly, all my blue diffusers were in good shape, so I'm keeping them, too.

Don, I think several search items got dropped with the update. I did a post on this way back when this same question came up. Now it is no longer in my list of "content I started" as far back as it goes. 

For sure, Bill will be happy to help. I have had several email chats with him on questions concerning the complete LED light conversion I did on my car. I bought everything I needed from Hi-Po Parts.com including the recent LED headlight relays (but not the globes and LED bulbs). The relay upgrade will definitely increase the brightness of the interior lights. I would now recommend adding headlight replays regardless of the type of headlights you have.

As for the blue domes, if they're still good, keep them in unless you're after a total color change. 

A word of caution; if your car has idiot lights, the ALT bulb MUST remain a standard (94?) bulb. 

Back