What makes this 1 of 50?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conventional rear axle, standard interior, no 429, that seems pretty high to me though it is nice to see these cars going up in value according to appraisal values. That being said it is still a nice car.

John,

The reason this is 1 of 50 or whatever the exact number is...

It is a 1971 Q code which were extremely rare. Most were M codes in 1971 that came with 4V engines. The Q code uses the same 4V motor but adds Ram Air.

Nice car....but not at $42,500.00. If this was a 100% show quality Boss 351 or 429 Mustang maybe. This one being a 71 and a "Q" code would be fine, IF that was really what was under the hood!! Any of us who have ever turned a wrench on our cars knows the difference between a 351 C and a 351 Windsor. Not even taking into consideration what jbojo had seen wrong with it, the incorrect engine kills it. At this point it's just another Mach 1 with shiny paint and a "Lumpy" cam. What's bad is that someone will see that red paint, only 1 of 50, Cobra Jet and get glossy eyed and get screwed out of some hard earned money.

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

It is a 1971 Q code which were extremely rare. Most were M codes in 1971 that came with 4V engines. The Q code uses the same 4V motor but adds Ram Air.
Jeff,

Yeah I was doing some research on the Q code after I posted this and found that that option was put into production in May, so towards the end of the model year.

Also it looks to be a 351W vice C as Don mentioned. I asked the seller if this was a numbers matching restore just to see what they say.

They also say Ram Air but it truly isn't, I see they have one of the Tall MSD distributors so I am wondering if they removed the air cleaner base because of the clearance issues. I guess if it has a NACA hood it's Ram Air ;)

Lastly I agree that all the mods probably drives the price down in my opinion too. The car does look good though.

Not a 351CJ anymore, it has a 351W, so originality is out the window, not that that wasn't totally obvious with the interior and mono color body and chassis.

Ford built way more than 50 351CJ cars, the 1 of 50 probably after the color and trim code breakdown. Heck, you could make any car 1of1 if you drill down far enough or in the right sequence of options.

Nice car, not my cup of tea. $25 ~ $30k, tops.

hemi nailed it...

i opened the link, got excited. looked through the photos, half way through i was like NOPE.

John,

Jeff, ram air did not change the VIN in 351C cars - it was just an option like A/C or power windows.

The Q code replaced the M code late in the 71 production run.

There were only 135 Q codes made. From what I learned it actually was the 72 Q code engine.

Don

I find it disturbing. The first bullet is:

Factory 351-4V Cobra Jet V8

Not even close. And this is repeated in the Item Specifics:

Number of Cylinders 'Cobra Jet Ram Air V8'

Engine: Cobtra Jet Ram Air Induction 351 V8

And the tag line says "Functional Ram Air Induction".

Not even close. In addition to the wrong air cleaner, the vacuum lines are missing.

And it is misleading to say it is multiple show winners as some kind of verification of the claims.

If he was up front that the engine had been replaced it would be okay. Sure anyone looking at the engine would know it is not as it came from the factory but not everyone will know it is not really a 351C Cobra Jet.

I couldn't take it, I sent him this note:

"Hi,

Great looking car. I see you have an awesome reputation. Normally I don't message people about their auctions.

You represent the car as having a 351C Cobra Jet engine several times in the ad. That is not a Cleveland engine. You can tell by the radiator hose going into the intake, Cleveland engines went right into the block.

Again, it is a beautiful car but to be fair I would suggest clarifying the engine is not a Cleveland. It is probably a Windsor or perhaps a 302.

Thanks for listening and good luck with the sale. "

It really comes down to this, its a RestoMod, its no longer a 1-50 car.

that 1-50 should get thrown out the window.

As for Value, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Now its also a Buyer-beware car I hope who ever buys it, does his homework, and knows what they are getting.

I find it disturbing. The first bullet is:

Factory 351-4V Cobra Jet V8

Not even close. And this is repeated in the Item Specifics:

Number of Cylinders 'Cobra Jet Ram Air V8'

Engine: Cobtra Jet Ram Air Induction 351 V8

And the tag line says "Functional Ram Air Induction".

Not even close. In addition to the wrong air cleaner, the vacuum lines are missing.

And it is misleading to say it is multiple show winners as some kind of verification of the claims.

If he was up front that the engine had been replaced it would be okay. Sure anyone looking at the engine would know it is not as it came from the factory but not everyone will know it is not really a 351C Cobra Jet.

I couldn't take it, I sent him this note:

"Hi,

Great looking car. I see you have an awesome reputation. Normally I don't message people about their auctions.

You represent the car as having a 351C Cobra Jet engine several times in the ad. That is not a Cleveland engine. You can tell by the radiator hose going into the intake, Cleveland engines went right into the block.

Again, it is a beautiful car but to be fair I would suggest clarifying the engine is not a Cleveland. It is probably a Windsor or perhaps a 302.

Thanks for listening and good luck with the sale. "
Agree Will. What he is doing almost borders on fraud. They get away with it by selling a car 'as-is', let the buyer beware. I would wonder if the trophies are even for that particular car or just generic trophies they bought and include in other car sales, if they can really be used for anything at all.

Yeah, I thought of telling him and E-bay that the auction description needed to be reworded. They never did reply to me about whether this was a numbers matching restoration. I wanted to catch them if they did and then ask them about the motor.

Also checked on the guy that did the appraisal, wasn't too impressed.

"Inspected and Appraised by Chistopher Ingrassia, President of Mustang Restorations, Dundee, IL. (Appraisal Included with Sale)"

It really comes down to this, its a RestoMod, its no longer a 1-50 car.

that 1-50 should get thrown out the window.

As for Value, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Now its also a Buyer-beware car I hope who ever buys it, does his homework, and knows what they are getting.
My thoughts too, nice Restomod but nothing original or stock. That car would do well at Barrett Jackson.

I did get a terse response:

"Cobra jet. CJ Does it state Cleveland somewhere ?"

So I clarified for them as I am sure they want to keep their reputation intact.

"Hi,

Excellent point. The auction does state:

Factory 351-4V Cobra Jet V8 as a bullet point

In your engine and number of cyl's descriptions the 'Cobra Jet' term is used again.

That is not a Cobra Jet engine and defiantly not a 'factory 351-4v cobra Jet'. The Cobra Jet engines were part of the 335 and 385 engine series. The engine pictured in the car is part of the 'Windsor' engine series. There is no such thing as a Windsor series 'Cobra Jet'.

Thanks for letting me clarify. Good luck with the Auction, it's a great looking car."

But looking at one of the pictures in the auction it shows a showroom full of Shelby's. They also say they have experts who handpick cars. I am starting to wonder if they know it is not the original engine or even the correct engine.

Back