T56

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
Just got my 532 done last year and the C6 is holding up fine so far but drivability is crap. 3500 rpm at 60-65mph isnt even fun to cruise around in. (not sure speedo is off till i get my gear reducer, have 4.30s in the rear)

Anyway, im dreaming of a T56 swap. Heres my question:

Is the T56 out of a Vette the same as the T56 from a Viper??

Ive seen new T56's for around 3k, but have seen some used ones for around 1000+/- but there out of a Vette. im hoping there the same thing and I can just get the bellhousing to fit the 460. If the Vipers T56 is different how can a guy tell? Certain model numbers?? Thanks

As far as I know the T56 from the Viper has larger input and output shafts, apparently its much stronger as many OE T56s are only rated for just shy of 500ftlbs.

well finding one out of a viper is not going to happen where im from, ha. It would probobly be my best bet to order a new one from d&d, I think its 2700 ish. (as if I don't have enough money in this car already I might as well) where does the floor need to be cut, im guessing shifter area?

Why not a TKO-600?

It has a 5th gear OD of .64 and can handle 600ft/lbs torque.

Plus it's only $2100 new.

Fits right in a 1971-73, no cutting.

I don't know what kind of power im making but at 55mph I can break my 29x12.50 slicks loose and set the car sideways. (girlfriend hates it, she says time stops when I hit the throttle, haha). Im guessing 650 horse and at least that in tq. Do you think the tko 600 will be enough? I hear the t56 is good for 700 but will take more... Can the tko 6 handle much more than its rated? I really dont have a need for 6 gears I don't need to go 200 mph haha

I don't know what kind of power im making but at 55mph I can break my 29x12.50 slicks loose and set the car sideways. (girlfriend hates it, she says time stops when I hit the throttle, haha). Im guessing 650 horse and at least that in tq. Do you think the tko 600 will be enough? I hear the t56 is good for 700 but will take more... Can the tko 6 handle much more than its rated? I really dont have a need for 6 gears I don't need to go 200 mph haha
Sounds like a blast! I hope to join you in the 540 range one day... kinda wanted to go AOD route, but cost will probably be close to same.

... Can the tko 6 handle much more than its rated? I really dont have a need for 6 gears I don't need to go 200 mph haha
Don't know, my 351 is probably only slightly better than stock 370ft/lb.

I can't believe a stock C6 is rated for more than 500 though.

Wow, 650hp, that 532 have a blower?

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the TKO 600 is rated 600 ft/lbs--hence the name. There are two different TKO 600s as well, with the overdrive ratio being one difference. There is the .64 and I think the other one is .80 or so. I went with a TKO 600 in my '69 and it was a bolt in swap except the upper crossbrace--I had to clearance that a bit.

Yea, just one more gear would be nice! Aod would be cool, ive seen c4s built to take 1000hp, im sure an aod could be built similar. Maybe i should get dynoed first to see where I'm actually at

No blower, roller cam with a comp cams custom grind. Slightly worked over kaase p51 aluminum heads, forged scat internals 12:1 comp. Harlan sharpe roller rockers ect ect. My brother had his dynoed at 530 with 69 worked iron heads similar cam and mine is definately faster. 650 is my estimate:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back