Dual Exhaust for staggered rear shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Greetings

Looking for pre or post installation of factory dual exhaust pipes on a competition staggered rear shock 71 Mach 1.

I recently bought an exhaust system form Tony Branda that they say fits a comp suspension.. but after looking at it out of the box... it looks too symmetrical?

Like it fits non staggered shocks?

Any clues as to what it should look like before install?

Thanks!

Doug in Indy

IMG_2007.jpg

Unless there are flow indicators, I would say your mufflers are backward in that picture.

I don't have staggered shocks on mine, but looking at mine (symmetrical like yours) I don't see how it would fit a staggered shock set-up.

attachment.php

The driver side is where the 'staggered' shock goes [behind the axle], I believe. Unless the driver side tail pipe has provisions to clear the shock, and then clear the tank, it looks like a standard exhaust system to me.

What may make these work is the elongated section that goes ever the axle, instead of just a continuous curve. They are also configured differently after the axle.

Unless there are flow indicators, I would say your mufflers are backward in that picture.

I don't have staggered shocks on mine, but looking at mine (symmetrical like yours) I don't see how it would fit a staggered shock set-up.

attachment.php

The driver side is where the 'staggered' shock goes [behind the axle], I believe. Unless the driver side tail pipe has provisions to clear the shock, and then clear the tank, it looks like a standard exhaust system to me.
Yeah.. I kinda noticed the mufflers after I snapped the photo. Thanks for the pic of your standard Duals... I'm afraid that what I have here

A lot of vendors dont even know or understand what stagger shocks is?

Sometime ago I had a conversation with a rep at CJPony about the ebrake line and he did not understand or wanted to understand that some of these cars have staggered shocks.

1971 M-code Mach 1

What may make these work is the elongated section that goes ever the axle, instead of just a continuous curve. They are also configured differently after the axle.
True - you never really know until you try to fit it up in there. But I'm guessing these guys won't fit... or "just barely" if they somehow do.

Was there a brand name on the box or papers?
Yes, On the Tony Branda receipt it says: Exhaust system by Precision.

Greetings

Looking for pre or post installation of factory dual exhaust pipes on a competition staggered rear shock 71 Mach 1.

I recently bought an exhaust system form Tony Branda that they say fits a comp suspension.. but after looking at it out of the box... it looks too symmetrical?

Thanks!

Doug in Indy
image(323).jpegimage(325).jpegimage(326).jpegimage(327).jpegimage(328).jpegimage(329).jpegimage(330).jpegimage(331).jpegimage(332).jpegimage(333).jpegimage(335).jpeg

Above are pics of my original exhaust on my 73 convertible w/ staggered shocks and comp suspension. Which I ordered new so I know it is correct.

The tail pipes are a little different since they are on a 73 convertible. Larry

Not sure if this helps but here is the original dual exhaust from my 73 Q code fastback with staggered shocks.

snp66w.jpg

156spd1.jpg
Thanks, great photos... this looks a little more encouraging with the elongated arch

in the tail piles... mine might possibly work... much appreciated!

Greetings

Thanks!

Doug in Indy
Above are pics of my original exhaust on my 73 convertible w/ staggered shocks and comp suspension. Which I ordered new so I know it is correct.

The tail pipes are a little different since they are on a 73 convertible. Larry

Thanks Larry the pics are great... the shape of the tailpipes look to be very close to what I have... this is encouraging! Thank you! Doug

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Looks like you didn't have the mufflers backward after all. :whistling:

Hope it works out for ya! :cool: ::thumb::

I guess there are different ways to achieve it. Mine is not original but you can see a flat of 8-9" on the driver's side and a continuous curve on the passenger's.

Please let us know. I am really curious to know if yours works.

20151201_210739_resized (1).jpg

20151201_210857_resized.jpg

Back