I checked for coil bind Before when i first installed the springs with the Engine on the stand, and it was not an issue what so ever. Now i dont remember exactly but the clearances were well in the safe zone.

I noticed on the bent pushrod that it had a Deep mark in it, looks like it has "hooked" onto like a "casting edge" in the head (do not know the English Word for this, i hope you understand what i mean). So maybe that pushrod was not straight from the beginning, i possibly missed that one somehow.

I put the new one in and rotated the Engine a couple of times, full revolutions. No problems there at least.

And the pushrod probably got bent immediatly at start up since i picked up the lifter and it is not broken in at all. So i need to redo the break in process now for this lifter.

Intake and Everything on, starting it up again today after work, well see what happens.

When there is no pressurized oil going to the lifters, they will bleed down to a certain extent. This means that the lifter will not open the valve as far (when bled down) as it will when pressurized. Unless you account for this difference, either mathematically or by using a solid lifter, you will not see the true valve lift.

What did you do to account for lifter bleed-down when you checked for coil bind?

If you show a picture of this mark on the push rod, it will be easier to interpret. It sounds like the pushrod was rubbing on the hole it goes through in the head. You're running all the same style of bolt-down non-adjustable rocker arm fulcrums, correct?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soo. New fired up and broke in the last lifter, runs amazing now. 18 vacuum at idle, smooth nice idling, really responsive throttle.

BUT... Im never running out of buts... It now has the tendancy to overheat, dont know if it was because i broke in the lifter inside the garage. Have to check later.

And also the blower motor ("you know cold/warm air, interior fan") has died, as well as the radio.

Both worked when i drove into the garage.

Edit: did not see your post basstrix. Actually i was not the one who checked the coil bind, my neighbour (who also builds and have raced a cleveland before) helped me. So i dont really know what he did :huh:

Yes im running the stock rocker arms.

1972 Mercury Cougar XR-7 2dr hardtop

Yes it feels good! :D feels like im just waiting for the next misfortune though :(

At least the radio/blower motor etc. Was just the fuse.

Will have to see about the overheating issue, was not a problem before so hopefully it was just because of me breaking in the cam in the garage.

I packed a big toolbox, some spares, a can of gasoline, 20 L of coolant etc. Etc. And im taking it to work tomorrow to give it some miles.

Win or lose :)

AWESOME NEWS!!!! So glad you got it running. What an ordeal!

I sincerely hope your troubles are far behind you now and you can go enjoy your ride.

Good luck and keep us up on progress.

Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Put about 75 miles on it today with zero issues, also booked an appointment for "inspection" of the car, MOT or whatever its called in the US. Or was that UK?

2 remarks only, front left brake hose and rear middle brake hose needs replacement. Not bad.

So now i drive legally for a month, and when i replace the hoses and inspect again o get two years

I just want to thank everybody here for all the help to finally get my cat back on the road, now im just going to enjoy it and hope that there will be no more mishaps in a while :D

All of you have been truly helpful in aiding me, and i am extremely thankful.

If any of you ever would end up in northern sweden i promise you i will buy you beer ::thumb::

Put about 75 miles on it today with zero issues, also booked an appointment for "inspection" of the car, MOT or whatever its called in the US. Or was that UK?

2 remarks only, front left brake hose and rear middle brake hose needs replacement. Not bad.

So now i drive legally for a month, and when i replace the hoses and inspect again o get two years

I just want to thank everybody here for all the help to finally get my cat back on the road, now im just going to enjoy it and hope that there will be no more mishaps in a while :D

All of you have been truly helpful in aiding me, and i am extremely thankful.

If any of you ever would end up in northern sweden i promise you i will buy you beer ::thumb::

That's great news, so glad you're running again. The other stuff is minor........... as long as you don't need to stop in a hurry!!

MOT is UK. Here in Ontario Canada, we only "safety" cars when they change hands, BUT we do have a stupid emissions test every 2 years unless the car is under 7 years old. A cash grab at best!! Not sure about the US and their rules.

Geoff

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

In Texas, we have annual vehicle safety inspections, which I think are warranted - there are plenty of unsafe 'farm trucks/ranch vehicles/etc.' on the roads in all sorts of shape with various things falling off them at any given time. It's only $15/year.

They only do emissions in high-population areas [in Texas], and the safety inspection/emissions laws vary from state to state. I think Texas is pretty lax, actually... but it's not the worst - New Mexico (no safety inspection at all) comes to mind.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

No safety or emission inspection Iowa either. And yes just like you a lot of non road worthy farm vehicles dropping parts all over the roads.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

In Nevada only the Reno and Las Vegas areas have emissions inspections, no safety. I believe all of California tests emissions, no safety. Only two areas in Oregon test emissions, Portland and Medford, no safety.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Safety inspection is a pretty good idea actually, but here in sweden they could take it a little more easy.

Question, do i need lead additive for this car?

And also, this tachometer issue, i read somewhere about some kind of filter to make it work?