Penny's 73 Q Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73MACH1WV

Reaction score
My Car
1973 MACH 1 Q CODE, BLUE GLOW IN COLOR 4 SPEED
I JUST STARTED A RESTORATION AND WILL BE EAGERLY VIEWING AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE DURING MY BUILD.
This is a grapevine find we heard about during one of our car cruse outings this summer, we found out that this car was for sale and grabbed it up before someone else did.

this is what we have done so far,

112d99s.jpg

289d4xi.jpg

fthgya.jpg

2hhgoap.jpg

10dwi87.jpg

33xk96r.jpg

2drjmx.jpg

30t3zsx.jpg

f1jih0.jpg

2e51jdf.jpg

35a86bs.jpg

Here is an example of what we are going for in the end,

24zj8u1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool project and good progress ::thumb::

Happy to see one more 71-73 to be rescued!

Don't forget the hood locks if you will go that route with the tu-tone hood - that makes it more... authentic ;)

I ever liked that blue-and-argent-paint-scheme...

Looks like I need to grow some more money on my money tree. I need to convince my wife that I really do need one of every color that was offered on our cars. I really like my red and pewter money pits, but there is just something about that blue/argent combo. Looks as though you are making great progress on your Mustang. Good luck and keep us posted. Lookin' good!!

Are those new parts Dynacorn? How's the fit?

Looks like a nice car to start with. Ryan.

Are those new parts Dynacorn? How's the fit?
yes I bought the doors from CJ PONY Parts the dynacorn doors fit really well, the fenders are original ford replacements that came with the car still in the box, they fit realy well also.

I'm also replaceing the lower quarters in the next few weeks, and the back tail light panel as well. The radiator core support will also get changed out.

I have not pulled the motor yet i will do that after all my panels and body work is complete to make sure my alignment stays relativley close. I hope to have it out by the end of December.

The wife wants the car by next summers car show season so evenings and weekend are full,

thanks for the interst ill post more pics in a few weeks

Wow, great progress ::thumb::

FortunatelyI could see your progress on your photobucket account more detailed and I got excited about one thing especially. Yes - dhis:

IMG_9827.jpg

I have exactly the same thing to do the next weeks - on both sides. It seems you have the same spare parts of sheet metal used that I have here also.

My question now is, did it worked out good? My lower quarter panels are rusted and the outer wheel arch lip. The easiest way to do this would be to cut the same style as you because the repro-stuff isn't as exact like the original measures are, for example the wheel arch - I think you couldn't get them right buy cutting it in half and weld old and new half together. What fitting issues did you had, if so? Did you have problems by welding it with warpage of the new and old sheet metal on your spots?

I didn't want to highjack your thread in a big manner so I will post you a pm with more details.

Thanks for helping - it would be important for me...

Tim, I cut the new outer wheel house lip off then left enough of the old on the car which allowed me to underlay the new outer wheelhouse to the existing then cleaned all the remaining wheelhouse down to bare metal and spot welded everything together including of course the outer wheelhouse flare to the replacement lower quarter flares I got some advice from my body shop buddy.

It was a good clean fit. I did use some all metal to smoot over the seam and shot it with undercoating. I know some people wouldn't dare do this but it save me a whole lot of work. I was able to treat all of the surface rust present with chassis back so I'm confident that I won't have any issues.

:goodpost:

Ooops, thank you very much for the fast reply ::thumb::

I already have wrote you a pm with some detailed questions. You could perhaps read that too and shoot me back an answer, if you like.

But what you have posted up there sounds very good. I summon up some courage now, thank you ::thumb::

I already have wrote you a pm with some detailed questions. You could perhaps read that too and shoot me back an answer, if you like.

But what you have posted up there sounds very good. I summon up some courage now, thank you ::thumb::
Tim, I just took a look at your thread build and you are doing great work! What you have done up to this point proves to me you have plenty of skills to do those lower quarter. Keep the faith my friend!

Tim, I just took a look at your thread build and you are doing great work! What you have done up to this point proves to me you have plenty of skills to do those lower quarter. Keep the faith my friend!
Yeah, my friend! With all your good explanations and your pictures I now have an exact idea to do this! Thank you for encouraging me in such a good way!

Keep up you good work, buddy!

Well tomorrow I will be shooting high build primer to the entire car then more blocking work ahead for me... the hood front fender and the trunk have had one blocking session this should be the final for those.

I must admit after much thought and family debate we are going in a different direction on the paint scheme. The car will not be for sale and will stay in the family. soooooo it looks like a dark gunmetal gray with satin black hood and stripes. staggered 5 spoke wheels in gunmetal centers with some polished aluminum accent.

now if someone wants to talk me out of this I'm listening or if you think that would be Bad A$$ chime in please.

Back