MSD and RAM AIR

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommy

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1 Q code 4 speed
I know i went through heaps of sites etc to see if the MSD dizzy 8577 would fit with the ram air any way mine does with scott cook intake (same height as stock intake) and 1 inch spacer under the carb

and this is it now with the 393 stroker going in

022.JPG

073.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the hood closing easily? The seal most be compressing more. I would also expect that the plastic flange on the hood may be flexing some. Did you modify anything else to help with fitting?

1971 M-code Mach 1

i dont think they sit in there tight from factory obviously the rubber is making contact with the flange and compressing a bit but your welcome to come over and see for your self hahaha and scat stroker kit solid cam CHI 4V heads plus all the arp bolts studs etc torker 2 was machined so as to fit with the ram air hooker headers twin 3inch exhaust mmm i think thats it

i stand corrected just went and messured the old spacer plate it is 16mm about two thirds of an inch

I think that in the 73 the motor sits a little lower than the other years which is why it works but no data to confirm this, might be because the motor mounts are different. Instead of adding a 1 inch spacer on mine I modified the air cleaner by raising the indentation in the air cleaner by about a inch. Since I was using the BT intake which has a slightly higher carb base height I didn't have room to add the additional spacer too. I did a lot of research on a lot of sites on this and others said the combination would not work but it clears just fine on mine too.

that makes sence with the different engine mounts

Wow that is one beautiful engine 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Well it looks so good with those CHI heads! Just love them! Mine are the 4V.. But hopefully you will make a video of it running?! Regards Lars 😎

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 😎

thanks Lars ive got a video we did the other day im just trying to work out how to put it on here do i need to put it on youtube first so i can get it on here ?

Well My pleasure My friend [sMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] Haven't tried to get a video on jet.. But I guess it would be the best way to get it done 😀 But I Am inspired by your photos! They just are so awesome engine's Clevelands 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

Thanks. That makes sense that the 73 may have more space. When i measured mine I figured i could install a 1" spacer as well, but needed to remove or modify the seal so all fits under the hood.

1971 M-code Mach 1

scat stroker kit solid cam CHI 4V heads plus all the arp bolts studs etc torker 2 was machined so as to fit with the ram air hooker headers twin 3inch exhaust mmm i think thats it
Have you dyno the engine yet? It sounds like a beast.....

1971 M-code Mach 1

no dyno yet but i put it on youtube yesterday thats the rev limiter kicking in at 6600 and no traction in first or 2nd

dave

Wow that is so awesome video! Wow that sounds so awesome ? [THUMBS UP SIGN] Big congrats on your engine ?[WHITE SMILING FACE] Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 ?
thanks Lars it still needs some tuning needs bigger carb running 780 holley but will fit and 850 dp after xmas and bigger fuel lines and electric fuel pump then i can dyno it

then we ll see what it s putting out im really impressed with the cam in it as it idles nice and sharp and lumpy and then the engine rev s its nuts off as you can see

Dave tommy

Tommy sounds the business mate what do you reckon it's making.

Just a tip you can buy a prosystems carb built for your engine for near the same dollars as a new holley ultra HP mine only cost 21 bucks more and you get billet metering blocks and a few other good bits all wet flowed for your combo only took 8 days from order to delievery here in Qld.

thanks Luke and my mate Lars

i just checked out the pro systems stuff and it looks good i may go E85 as its on tap a mile down the road but i need to look more into that

as for HP its at least punching out 500plus but thats easy to say without it being dynoed ive driven and lots of good cars in my nearly 50 years (far out man im old) but this thing blows me away every time i drive it great engine built by PLR engines

those CHI heads flow great and the stroker kit etc and 10.7 ;1 comp but i think its real power is topped off by the custom solid cam that CROW CAMS did it just has heaps of torque down low then when it hits 3500rpm it takes off like a missile to 6600 when the limiter kicks in and it starts to run out of fuel (hence the bigger carb needed) id love to go for a funnel web high rise or similar but that means cutting a hole in the hood and losing the ram air but i think it would look awesome with a big double pumper sitting up in front of you as you race down the road mmmmmmm

Well I agree with Luke that you should look at the pro version [WINKING FACE] when you have all that power. But when E85 is so hard on parts! You have to be careful with that stuff! Corrosion is a Big deal. Regards Lars

Back