Power steering issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Once or twice my PS pump has pushed fluid back out of the fill tube past the dipstick. With enough pressure to spray it onto the back side of the wheel well.

The first time mine did it ...it was up on a lift in drive with the rear wheels turning at idle...hot day out. The mechanic was looking for some other issue. He checked the hoses and could not find any problem ... felt that it had come out of the fill tube. Today, cool day out... app. 40 degrees. Just put rebuilt carb back on car, it had not run in over a month. Started it at fast idle for a while ... finally warmed up and the rpm's slowed ... took it for a 5 minute drive, pulled it back into the garage, left it idling and then noticed a 8-10 inch puddle under the pump. Looked like it had sprayed out the fill tube and ran down the inside of the engine compartment between the wheel well and engine. Have never had any other issues with the car ... has never overheated. Any suggestions as to why this is happening ? Thanks

I doubt this its running out the drip stick

I had an issue with my vette when i first got it

It had sat for 5 yrs

so there was fluid every where which made figuring it out hard

I found the rubber return line leaking and change it

Then i found a pin hole on a cylinder hose tube section at the fitting and changed it

Then i found the cylinder seal linking and changed it

My point is that the fluid come out like a power washer and sprays everywhere and runs down everything

You should be able wipe every thing down then isolate the area were the leak is

I suspect two different issues. The first was an over filled reservoir and the heat expanded the fluid enough to overflow. The fan sprayed it around.

The second is due to cool weather shrinking seals, gaskets and hose connections, or a leak in a hose, with the fan blowing it around.

I suspect two different issues. The first was an over filled reservoir and the heat expanded the fluid enough to overflow. The fan sprayed it around.

The second is due to cool weather shrinking seals, gaskets and hose connections, or a leak in a hose, with the fan blowing it around.
Thanks, I will check all these area out !

If I may add my thoughts.. There may also be a bad spool valve seal inside the gear box.. Not knowing what model car you have.. I've seen p/s fluid spray out of the dip stick tube on the reservoir when the steering wheel was turned stop to stop like in a hard turn.

Back