Lower Body side Bright Molding

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
An interesting note to pass on.

I have 73 yellow convertible with the bright molding down the side with black out on the bottom. I recently purchased a part car that had been crashed it is a 72 with the bright molding and black out. I did not notice until yesterday they are different:-/

When I got the 72 it came with the two front pieces NOS that go between the fender and the lower valance panel. They sandwich between the two and held by the three screws. They have 71 part numbers so I assume 71 & 72 are the same. D1ZZ-16C068-A & D1ZZ-16C69-A

I was looking at the 73 and they are not between the fender and valance they are fastened to the valance panel. The 73 is factory paint car so I don't think there was anything changed. Who else has one to verify that 71-72 and 73 are different.

I would be willing to swap the NOS trim pieces for the 71-72 for 73 NOS pieces if anyone has them. See pictures the gold car is 72 and yellow 73.

Another of the odd changes for 73.

David

DSC_1997.JPG

DSC_1999.JPG

it was done because of the different shape of the 73 5mph bumper.

I remember reading about it some years ago, great photo :D

My 73 is the same way. I purchased the reproduction Décor molding and it came with the 71/72 style pieces that go between the fender and valance. I reused my old pieces for the front after polishing them up.

Yes I remember this too. Great pics and discussion! I remember it looking funny and having a discussion with a guy showing his 73 convertible WAY back in 1980! Another one I remember was a 73 convertible and it had the Boss side stripe and the Décor Group lower body blackout. I tried to say the Boss side stripe was incorrect for his 73 convertible. The stripe looked VERY weird and very out-of-place in the front lower fender area!!!! But over the many years I learned Boss side stripes were offered optionally on 1973 Convertibles and Hardtops that were ordered with the Décor Group! ---Has to be on the invoice...

Learning all the time! :)

Ray

It does look strange, since it doesn't line up at all, but it is correct. Had to check my pics. LOL

David
No your car is correct just one of the many 73 only changes that make some difficult to restore.

One thing that hurts the 71-72 guys is the rear tail light panel. I was also different on the 73 but when Ford goes to service they pick a model that will work for any year. It might have a different form or extra holes but it saves the number of service parts they have to stock. Most of the NOS Ford panels you find will be the 73 and you have to work on them to make them look like a 71-72. Quarter panels were also another service part that went 73 and had a couple extra holes. Rear valance panels, 71-72 fit but not the same.

ALWAYS know what your parts look like before spending big bucks on one that is not right when you get it. I made an eBay seller mad when I told him his part would not be correct for all three years. He pretty much told me I was an Idiot that he had the Ford interchange part number book and it said they were the same. It was the rear valance and had eyebrows in it so not correct for a 73. That is how so much stuff gets off on these cars parts fit so people use them.

David

Here is a shot of my rear tail light panel purchased for my '71 vert. It is a '73 service replacement and in order to make it look like a '71, we had to cut out the licence plate light wire hole area and weld in the piece from my '71 panel. Also note there are no holes in the panel for future rear black applique and chrome trim installation. You have to add those. More then likely did not come with the holes as the Boss 351 did not need the holes... this '73 piece added additional expense to my restoration costs when you make the necessary repairs for the earlier '71 model.

Rear Tail Light Panel License Plate Hole Difference.jpg

Rear Tail Light Panel (NOS) .jpg

David,

Any pics showing the valence differences and tail light panels? It would be good to have a pic to better illustrate.

Thanks,

Ray

David,

Any pics showing the valence differences and tail light panels? It would be good to have a pic to better illustrate.

Thanks,

Ray
Ray,

Pastel Blue pretty much filled you in on the tail light panel differences. The rear lower valance in 71 and 72 had the eyebrows for the dual exhaust with the chrome tips to come through. In 73 that was another of the Ford cost reductions to remove the Chrome tips and the exhaust has turn downs and no eyebrows in the panel. I don't have a picture to show. You will see them on eBay for big bucks saying 71 - 73 but they are not. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1971-1972-1973-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-REAR-VALANCE-/390288746194?hash=item5adf05a6d2:m:mrskzdFjLs9b1nQNvEK0chw&vxp=mtr

He also has one without eyebrows for same price, crazy.

The license plate mount is also different on the 73.

I know of one MCA judge that says there were cars made in 73 with the eyebrows. He has one but I know the person that changed the rear panel on that car to a 72 because he liked it better than the 73. He then sold the car to a dealer and the MCA judge bought the car from the dealer and says it is original.

That is how things get screwed up on originality.

I will try to get some pictures of the different variations. For sure no 73 models had the eyebrows. Same panel for 6 cylinder or Q code 351. Big cost savings not having the chrome exhaust tips and multiple part number skews.

David

Here are the stripes that separate the lower body (Décor Group) contrasting argent or black for cars ordered with factory side stripes - aka hockey sticks etc. They used the bottom one to ensure a nice straight line over the color change from contrasting color to body color.

1971 1972 Boss lower body tape stripe_1a.jpg

Ray

Here are the stripes that separate the lower body (Décor Group) contrasting argent or black for cars ordered with factory side stripes - aka hockey sticks etc. They used the bottom one to ensure a nice straight line over the color change from contrasting color to body color.

Ray
Now you have confused me. The Mustang brochure for 73 says that the Decor group gives you the lower black or argent with the trim strip but not as you see a lot of them. I thought the paint on lower argent or black and the stripe was a Mach 1 think only for certain styles. You got the chrome on ones with out the side stripe with Mach 1 verbage but not ones with side stripe and Mach1.

Will we ever know?

David

Back