Media Blasting and the undercoat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 340

Reaction score
I cannot find a place that has a rotisserie (in Tucson, AZ if anyone knows of one) so right now all I can have blasted is the body and interior that are easy to get to when I wheel it into a blast room.

What should I do about the underside? I can't really see any rust or bubbles underneath, but there are areas I cannot see.

Am I better off waiting and trying to find a place that can put it on the rotisserie or move forward and then after paint, lift the car and blast on my own?

Thanks,

I cannot find a place that has a rotisserie (in Tucson, AZ if anyone knows of one) so right now all I can have blasted is the body and interior that are easy to get to when I wheel it into a blast room.

What should I do about the underside? I can't really see any rust or bubbles underneath, but there are areas I cannot see.

Am I better off waiting and trying to find a place that can put it on the rotisserie or move forward and then after paint, lift the car and blast on my own?

Thanks,
blast room???? I would say if you are blasting it your self like I am going to do, I was just going to get the car up on stands as high as I could and blast it. There are many others in here that can tell you better. but that is what I was thinking about doing. I would blast it!!

SKOT.. IM IN THE SAME AREA. NO ROTISSERY AND DONT WANT TO SEND OUT. BUT WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO..... DONT PAINT IT AND THEN TRY TO BLAST THE BOTTOM. EVEN IF YOU TRY TO PROTECT IT THE DUST IS FULL OF GRIT THAT IS HARD TO GET RID OF. MYSELF I'M DOING ALL OF THE STRUCTURAL REPAIR AND THEN GOING TO BLAST AS NEEDED BEFORE I GET SERIOUS ABOUT FINAL SANDING AND PAINT. AND LIKE DOC SAID GOING TO GET UP AS BEST I CAN AND DO IT MYSELF.

Thanks,
If there's no rust or bubbles you can do what i did on my 71 Camaro...Build a set of ramps or 2x4 boxes for each wheel to get the car up as high as possible..Wire wheel the bottom with 4 1/2" grinder..Use foam rollers & foam brushes to apply a coat of rust bullet..when dry apply a coat of sem chassis black (satin or flat) using the foam rollers & brushes..

2ro5onq.jpgDSCF2653.JPGDSCF2654.JPG

Scott, how does media blasting affect all the lines and wires and stuff? Would they have to be covered to protect them, or is the media forgiving enough that you wouldn't have to worry about it?
Typically you remove all that stuff if you can't remove it, then a double layer of duct tape should protect it..it also depends on the media used (glass beads ,black beauty, walnut shells etc)

If there's no rust or bubbles you can do what i did on my 71 Camaro...Build a set of ramps or 2x4 boxes for each wheel to get the car up as high as possible..Wire wheel the bottom with 4 1/2" grinder..Use foam rollers & foam brushes to apply a coat of rust bullet..when dry apply a coat of sem chassis black (satin or flat) using the foam rollers & brushes..
The undercarriage looks great, but I can't help but wonder what you looked like after laying under the car and doing all that grinding, how about a picture of that! :D

I was just starting a serach for Media Blasting. First on the undercoating issue. I used a heat gun and putty knives to scrape off most of my undercoating. It does a good jub and after a couple of minutes you get the hang of it and can get some good sized areas cleaned up fast.

Now my question is what media have others used? I recently bought a blast cabinet at Harbour Freight for $180 and I am ready to start cleaning and detailing all the parts I can. What media do others use to cleanup suspension parts, various underhood brackets, etc? I have been searching the web and have heard of Black Beauty, Star Blast and others. Any advice is appreciated?

Brian

I bought a Clark Abrasive Blast cabinet from Tractor Supply a few years ago and used the Clark AB2531 Glass Beads with it. It did a great job on the small parts. It even made the inside of my ashtrays look great!

Back