First car!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

15-73finally

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang
image.jpegAt least 15 years old in the state of Utah (where I reside) you van get your drivers permit, I got mine on November 17 and since then have been looking for a classic car to buy and fix up(restore). I saw 2 cars that stood out, a 1973 mustang limited edition fastback, and a 1963 Chevy corvair. I went straight to the Mustang. I looked the car over and saw no rust through, no rot, or anything visible. The body is straight, And it is perfect. I asked the owner and he said that is for sale but it has a siezed motor, he said he got it to restore but didn't have the time to do it, the interior is what he said was a custom interior, all black and red leather. I don't know if I should send the engine to a machine shop because it was siezed, or if I should just et a new one! Any help would be appreciated!

Pictures:

2a0jhmx.jpg

i6fn2s.jpg

18m6g0.jpg

keeur7.jpg

2nb906w.jpg

Its being sold for 2500$, is this a good deal? has a 351w huge rear tires, and I mean HUGE, ill see if I can get some pictures on it, and its a manual, I don't know how to see if the engine is seized because of lack of oil or what, some help would be appreciated.

Also, what does the Limited edition stand for? I was looking it up but couldn't find anything relating to a 73.?????:huh::huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

I can't comment on the price but I don't think the "Limited Edition" badge has anything to do with the car. It seems like the same guy that did the mods on the car put it there. Those (and similar) badges could be bought at the auto section of any supermarket.

Welcome from Sarnia Ontario Canada

It looks like the body is in decent shape, but the guys has done some some custom work, judging by the picture you have a 69 hood scoop and mirrors of something else

If the guy has huge tire on the back he may have tubbed the wheel wells which i would think means he planned bring this to the strip

These aren't bad thing if the work was well done

The most important thing for you to check is the condition of the frame rails and under body if that's in good shape then you have a good starting point

As for the motor goes, if this guys was dragging this car he could have allot into the motor

I think you need to dig a little deep on the motor to figure to rebuild it or swap it

Take some pictures under the car and show us so we can help you on this

Pic of the wide tires and rear end

transmission

frame and floor pans

engine bay

If the frame is good i would thing 2,500 is a good deal

As others have suggested

Post up more pics , door tag info and the vin here, so we can get you some better info on what the group sees.

First thing I see it the tail panel trim held on with ??? rubber type studs. Was the guy to cheap to spend 75.00 on the trim strips ?

It has a 71-2 front valance

Missing interior trim

Get some pics of the engine compartment, trunk and under the car.

Being 15 we all want you to get a good car and not get burned

3 - 4 or 5 speed manual?

In negotiations - since the motor doesn't run, you cannot check the trans, rear end, fuel system or brakes.

You need to look at this as you are buying a body and interior for 2500.00

Whatever else turns out good would be a bonus.

Good luck Don

Welcome from Oregon.

You will be able to find out a lot if information on this forum and folks are always willing to answer questions and offer advice.

You can find out what engine and transmission came on your car, as well as other information, from the VIN (vehicle identification number), data plate, and buck tag. Decoding information is available at the top of the page under the Data tab

http://www.7173mustangs.com/misc.php?page=1973

Welcome from Phoenix. I also purchased my first car (a green 73 Mach 1) when I was 15. Of course, at the time that car was only 7 years old...

As said, the "limited edition" was not an official model or trim package.

A seized engine can be a lot of things. If you buy the car pull the engine and take it apart! Start with the intake manifold and then the heads. Keep track of where you remove each part from. Depending on what is wrong and how much of a rebuild you end up doing there are some parts that need to be kept together. For example, you want to put each lifter back into its original place. Rocker arms too.

I agree with the assessment on price for the car.

It will be a fun project but keep in mind you may end up spending much more than the original cost to get it drivable.

The transmission is not the original, has a 5 speed engine. After decoding the bin I found out the car was originally a straight 6, and now it has a 351 Windsor. Was restored around 5 years ago as a drag car, and the cars body is fiberglass, not metal.

2w5oapi.jpg

Not he best picture I'm sorry, going out there again today, will get a Bette dpi tyre for you guys?

The body is fiberglass?

If so then this is not really a Mustang anymore. Very hard to turn into a comfortable and safe street car. With it not running you are looking at $$$ to turn a cut up race car back into a daily driver.

I am not saying a 15 year old should not start with a project muscle car as a first ride - all of my kids did it and my grand kids are doing it now. You just have to get some guidance as to what is the right car to get.

Share with us:

Your exact location

Your cash in hand to buy a car

Your incoming cash from jobs or other sources

Do you have a garage or shop to work in?

Friends and family members who own tools and work on things

I have also helped several of my sons friends find old Mustangs and will do the same for you if you want. Several people in this group will join in and maybe even be close enough to you to assist in person.

If I was looking for a car for my grand daughters first project today (she is 13) this would make the list.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/5345584712.html

This one is extraordinary.

http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5340621031.html

Let us know what you think.

Let the adventure begin!

- Paul of MO

Sorry let me rephrase that, , the hood and front fenders are fiberglass sorry, just asked the original owner, said he used it as a tourer but put the big engine in it so that he could go to the track once in a while, said engine seized because he didn't use it for roughly 2 years. I have 1500$ cash in hand, and was trading my 327 v8 extra intake manifold, crank and camshaft. I have all the tools needed, dad has a lift, I have engine stand and engine crane, also have a golf cart to take it places:)

Hello from Mississippi. Great that you've picked a 71-73 style Mustang for your project car. You'll find lots of experience, knowledge, and genuine desire to help on this forum. As the earlier posts stated, when you try to "undo" a car that was destined to be a race car, sometimes things can be a little discouraging. Just be patient and ask a lot of questions. We need people your age to keep the interest cultivated in not only 71-73 Mustangs, but all Mustangs prior to the 79/ era.

Good luck on your project and welcome to your new Mustang home!

Sorry the front fenders and hood are fiberglass

I have roughly 6600 $ total to spend on this project, I've been looking foR a job but no luck

Sorry the front fenders and hood are fiberglass

I have roughly 6600 $ total to spend on this project, I've been looking foR a job but no luck
That is even better than what I thought you had to spend.

For 6600.00 you can get a very decent and cool collectible car that can be driven while you work on it.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-article/10+Budget+Classics+You+Should+Buy+Now-192973.xhtml

Anything on the link I posted is within your 6 grand budget. (Leave a little for taxes, title, and insurance)

Now from an old guy who has hired a lot of young people:

Dress up a little bit - even for a fast food job. Easy way to show you care a little more than the rest.

Be proud and honest with them that you do not know anything. That is how it is supposed to be.

Tell them that you will absolutely show up on time and happily do what you are told - simple as that. They do not want to hire drama - promise them no drama.

Be willing to try something different - there is a lot more to do than flipping burgers. If it sounds like a no fun job then it probably will be a lot of fun.

My first job was hoeing strawberries. I was the only kid and the only non Mexican in the crew and had an absolute blast.

- Paul of MO

Back