'73 Headliner Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Happy Holidays!!!

When I purchased my '73 the headliner looks as though it was unceremoniously ripped out. Since there was a TMI headliner in the package I'm assuming the previous owner had planned to replace it.

As I started looking at I doubt what is left was an original install, it looks like short cuts were taken. Here are my questions:

1. When I did my 1970 Stang's headliner I took out the front and rear windows - what I consider a proper installation. The bit of headliner that remains in my 73 shows that the windows were not removed. The rear appeared to be glued just behind the inside rubber and the front was glued to inside metal and then sealant applied and the inside molding. I'm assuming that was a short cut and not standard...correct?

2. I plan on covering the roof with sound and heat matting - but that will leave a lot of space between the roof and the headliner. Should I fill that with insulation?

3. For the roof application is there a better adhesive that would stand up to the temps down here in Southern Az?

4. Sides of roof near the sail area have teeth that grab/snag the headliner - any tips on handling that properly?

Thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

I just finished up installing mine on my 73 Mach 1 so here are some answers...

1. When I did my 1970 Stang's headliner I took out the front and rear windows - what I consider a proper installation. The bit of headliner that remains in my 73 shows that the windows were not removed. The rear appeared to be glued just behind the inside rubber and the front was glued to inside metal and then sealant applied and the inside molding. I'm assuming that was a short cut and not standard...correct? Should be removed for proper install and wrapped into window channels.

2. I plan on covering the roof with sound and heat matting - but that will leave a lot of space between the roof and the headliner. Should I fill that with insulation? I wouldn't worry about having a gap there as long as you have the sound barrier. I installed Dynamat and had a big gap and it came out great.

3. For the roof application is there a better adhesive that would stand up to the temps down here in Southern Az? I used 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive which after reading seemed to be the best choice. Just follow directions exactly as they say.

4. Sides of roof near the sail area have teeth that grab/snag the headliner - any tips on handling that properly? This part is pretty easy and forgiving since will be covered by sail panel. Just pull tight down over and press into spikes. You can pull off and move if needed.

One other comment, the top of the sail panel material glues to the UNDERSIDE of window ledge. This is so the weatherstrip can cover it.

Put screws back in for things like visors, seat belts etc so you can feel for them after install. Otherwise it is difficult to locate them.

2nitwdz.jpg

izwy9l.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Perfect!!! Thanks Jeff.

Hi Tim,

I just finished up installing mine on my 73 Mach 1 so here are some answers...

1. When I did my 1970 Stang's headliner I took out the front and rear windows - what I consider a proper installation. The bit of headliner that remains in my 73 shows that the windows were not removed. The rear appeared to be glued just behind the inside rubber and the front was glued to inside metal and then sealant applied and the inside molding. I'm assuming that was a short cut and not standard...correct? Should be removed for proper install and wrapped into window channels.

2. I plan on covering the roof with sound and heat matting - but that will leave a lot of space between the roof and the headliner. Should I fill that with insulation? I wouldn't worry about having a gap there as long as you have the sound barrier. I installed Dynamat and had a big gap and it came out great.

3. For the roof application is there a better adhesive that would stand up to the temps down here in Southern Az? I used 3M 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive which after reading seemed to be the best choice. Just follow directions exactly as they say.

4. Sides of roof near the sail area have teeth that grab/snag the headliner - any tips on handling that properly? This part is pretty easy and forgiving since will be covered by sail panel. Just pull tight down over and press into spikes. You can pull off and move if needed.

One other comment, the top of the sail panel material glues to the UNDERSIDE of window ledge. This is so the weatherstrip can cover it.

Put screws back in for things like visors, seat belts etc so you can feel for them after install. Otherwise it is difficult to locate them.

2nitwdz.jpg

izwy9l.jpg

Thanks

Tim

Back