Austin Vert Invents a Footrest for '71-'73 Mustangs.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
Hi to all,

Just wanted to post up my new invention of a footrest for the 123 Mustangs.

INTRODUCTION.

I guess i'm getting old, and want the comforts that modern day cars offer today. Let's face it, back in my twenties, i didn't care about footrests and comfort all that much, but now need and expect to have them when driving around.:p Most modern day cars now have footrests in them, and ivé gotten used to driving around with the left leg supported on a rest. So there's two things that have been bugging me when driving around in my '73 Vert and Mach 1. I really miss a footrest for my left leg, and also, the position of the high beam floor switch is annoying, because i find it stuck up into the far left hand corner, and is tricky to locate and use it when needed. I don't find it all that user friendly.

So i got to thinking of a better way to improve these two problems, and am very happy to say, i've come up with a brilliant solution for both. My invention is practical, works very well, looks great, is not expensive to get setup, is DIY friendly, and very strong as well. This setup is a big improvement for me, and i'm happy to pass on the deal to my fellow 123 Mustang Forum members, so they can take advantage of this idea if they want to as well.

PREAMBLE.

At my workplace, i work on a vehicle called the VW Amarok. I believe you folks in America don't get the car imported into your country as yet.(See my reference link below.) These Amaroks i work on, are right hand drive, and for the driver, feature a footrest for the left leg. Looking at the footrest, i noticed that the shape profile seemed to be very similar to the profile floor shape of our 123 Mustangs. I took a gamble, and ordered a 2015 one from VW. The part cost me $65.00 Australian. American folk can order the footrest through your local VW parts dealership. My gamble payed off, as the fit to the floor was very good indeed. I was on my way,and came up with another idea to incorporate the high beam foot switch into the footrest as well. I needed to do this anyway, because the position of the footrest would cover the existing foot switch. By moving the high beam switch to the footrest, it has made using the foot switch much more practical and easier. Using the foot switch now is a breeze.

Installation is not complicated, and i got a very good end result. The floor pan shape is different in the Mach 1, but will still accept the footrest without any dramas. I have not yet tried to install the footrest into my Mach 1. Also, i don't know what the floor pan setup and shape is like on the Grande, but would think my footrest would fit in as well for that model too. Also, i have installed speakers in my front Vert kick panels. My footrest sits about a quarter of an inch off the speaker grilles. If you don't have speakers, mounting and positioning the footrest will work out just as well.

The footrest is manufactured in a dark grey colored plastic textured finish. I think the finished look is pretty good, and therefore, i didn't do anything else to change the look of it. However, if you wanted to, you could glue on and cover the footrest with thin profile black carpet, or paint the plastic rest black if you have a black carpet like me. I think that any paint finish will eventually wear off though, and therefore is not a practical way to go. In my case, i decided to leave the footrest alone as the plastic finish should prove to be hard wearing and practical in the long run. I think the dark grey color looks OK to the rest of the interior. I also used stainless steel bolts to avoid any rusting probs down the track. The foot brake operation is not impeded either by the way. PART NUMBER. VW - 2H0864420A71N

INSTALLATION.

My pictures below should tell most of the story. Once you obtain the plastic VW footrest, get your Dremel tool and trim off the unwanted plastic mounting tabs located under the footrest. They're not needed. Next, mark out and position a circle where the foot switch is to be located, and dremel a hole in the plastic floor. Be neat and accurate here as the hole will be on show. You will need the foot switch itself to work with when setting up the install on the footrest. Remove it from the floor, or buy a new one if you like.

Next, Dremel grind and profile down the plastic reo walls where the foot switch will go to accept the plug.(See my pics) Once done, drill two mounting holes to anchor down the foot switch. Position and bolt up the foot switch. You can add a rubber knob on if you like. I did, and it works and looks good i think. Next add the steel right angle bracket to the under side. (see my pics) The steel should be about 2 ml thick for strength support. These brackets should be available from hardware stores and the like. Through trial and error, grind off a certain length of steel from one end of the bracket, and smooth round shape the corners so the bracket won't damage your carpet. I removed about 1/2 an inch of steel. This bracket acts as a support for the footrest to be firm and rigid when in position. Spray paint the bracket with black paint to finish off with.

You're now ready to install the footrest. The good news is that you won't have to modify the wiring or plug, as there is plenty of length provided in the factory wiring setup. It's plug and play. Just transfer the plug from the old switch to the new one. You can even replace the two bolts that held down the old foot switch to the floor, once you have removed the old switch. Next, finally position where you want the footrest to go, and using black colored, pan head, self tapping phillips head screws, drill and screw two holes to anchor down the footrest. (see my pics). Drill slowly and carefully, as you don't want to destroy the carpet when drilling.(carpet pile wind up) The position of the screws won't interfear with anything under the floor pan. You will see my choice of screw position does not drill through the vinyl floor pad as well. That does not get defaced. In the Mach 1 the factory vinyl floor pad is much bigger. Different screw positioning will be needed in this case to avoid floor pad damage. Two screws is all that is really needed for a firm install.

Once screwed down and in, the footrest is installed and ready to go.

REFERENCES.

PART NUMBER. VW - 2H0864420A71N.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2015/apr/19/vw-interest-0010us-pickupaccelerates/299131/

1 - 054.JPG

2 - 059.JPG

3 - 008.JPG

4 - 002.JPG

5 - 006.JPG

6 - 005.JPG

7 - 027.JPG

8 - 025.JPG

9 - 047.JPG

10 - 9 - 048.JPG

11 - 038.JPG

12 - 042.JPG

13 - 044.JPG

14 - 045.JPG

15 - 030.JPG

16 - 019.JPG

17 - 028.JPG

18 - 034.JPG

19 - 010.JPG

20 - 012.JPG

21 - 023.JPG

22 - 012 (2).JPG

23 - 007 (2).JPG

24 - 003 (2).JPG

25 - 005 (2).JPG

26 - 021 (2).JPG

27 - 026 (2).JPG

28 - 027 (2).JPG

29 - 013 (2).JPG

30 - 033 (2).JPG

31 - 038 (2).JPG

Many thanks,

Greg.:)

Thanks Guys,

Yeah Tim, i guess if you wanted to keep your Mustang very original as possible, then you would not consider adding something like this to your car, and a non American part as well. In my case retro fitting the footrest doesn't bother me, as i feel i haven't bastardised my Vert from an appearance point of view, but i hear what you are saying.

But it also has to be said that most of these aftermarket repro parts available today for our 123's, are made in Asian countries, not America, and it could be said that our Mustangs are part Asian and not full blooded American machines.

Oh well, i'm going for comfort in my arthritic old age!:p

But it also has to be said that most of these aftermarket repro parts available today for our 123's, are made in Asian countries, not America, and it could be said that our Mustangs are part Asian and not full blooded American machines.

Oh well, i'm going for comfort in my arthritic old age!:p

Hahaha, yeah, that's right - that's why I am using as less aftermarket parts as possible :D No - mainly because of the often poor quality! But you cannot avoid it and there are some good aftermarket parts out there, too. Ask Don... ;)

If I am getting that old :p once I will perhaps think the other way - and will drive an automatic with cruise control and TWO footrests left and right :D

Nice work though ::thumb::

Sweet!! Nice job! ::thumb::

How does it work with the e-brake pedal? Do you need to adjust it a little tighter to ensure it fully engages before bottoming out on the foot rest ("Dead Pedal" as we call it around here)?

Sweet!! Nice job! ::thumb::

How does it work with the e-brake pedal? Do you need to adjust it a little tighter to ensure it fully engages before bottoming out on the foot rest ("Dead Pedal" as we call it around here)?
Thanks Eric,

In my Vert, the foot brake does its job properly when i push the pedal down very close to the foot rest. However, i would imagine you would have to check that on various Mustangs as the foot brake adjustment would vary from car to car. So adjusting the pedal tighter would be an advantage for sure.

I really dig this mod.

One thing though:I think it would stand out less if it were black.

This way it is the only gray thing in an otherwise all black environment. Maybe after a while, when it looses its new plastic sheen it will blend in better.

As Greg said, you could also paint it black but that will probably wear off.

So I'd try and put some black carpeting on it or maybe that thick felt fabric that they use for backdrops in theaters or music stages. Or maybe Astroturf or something like that. Anything that's black and fluffy. (NO!! NOT the neighbor's cat!!!!)

Follow up: I will inquire with my local VW dealer if that footrest is shared with any other VW SUV, like the Tuareg or the Tiguan. (Or the Porsche Cayenne which is the same base as the Tuareg).

That may help locating the part in the US.

If that is not the case and the other parts are too different from this one I will offer to purchase the one Greg used for you and send them over to the US by parcel if anyone wants one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. Yes, car trimmers do deal and work with certain types of thin profile carpets these days. I have seen them in my travels many times. Many modern day cars are using thin profile type carpets as well because the material can be contoured to go in and around tight corners and recesses etc.

So that type of material could be bought and used and glued on my footrest if you wanted to. No doubt it would blend in much better if you did that. The choice is down to the way you want it to look i guess. I might even get around to carpeting the footrest myself down the track one day if i'm in the mood. As i said before, any paint sprayed on the footrest, is an easy way to decorate the part up, but be warned that the paint will wear away in time and start looking shabby - even 2Pack paints which are very durable.

In regards the particular shape of this footrest, you will find that this shaped footrest is only made and used for the VW Amarok car only. All other VW/ Skoda/Audi/ Porsche cars and models use different shaped and contoured footrests. I know this, because i work on all these cars and models in regards my day to day job. I see this first hand every day.

I feel very sure that American people could order this Amarok footrest part from their local VW dealer around America and Canada. It would be shipped from VW, Germany. Although, any one who may have trouble obtaining the part could certainly contact you or myself maybe to help them out. Thanks Mike, it's very kind of you to offer. I guess living where you are, it would be a breeze to get hold of this part at a fair costing would it not. In Australia, we pay a premium for buying car parts because we are so isolated down here, and shipping/tax charges always bump our buying price up considerably.:mad:

Also, thank you every one again for your positive feedback. If you get around to installing my invention, i hope it brings you great comfort. I'm sure it will!::thumb::

Cheers,

Ok, I've just come back from my buddy at the local VW dealership. (In the Mustang, in early December!!!! :) )

First, as Greg said in the post above, there are no other cars that have that shape.

BUT!! I noticed something important: The driver side footrest for an Amarok is different from the one Greg used. When we looked at the parts catalog I saw that it is actually a passenger side footrest!

Then it dawned on me, Greg's in Australia, so Greg's Amarok is probably right hand drive. The footrest he used is the one for the passenger side (!!) of a right hand drive car. Isn't it, Greg? :)

Because it's mirror inverted it will fit the driver side of a left hand drive Mustang.

So if you order you need to make sure you order a PASSENGER SIDE footrest for a RIGHT HAND DRIVE Amarok. My dealer had no problem ordering one for me.

Ok, I've just come back from my buddy at the local VW dealership. (In the Mustang, in early December!!!! :) )

First, as Greg said in the post above, there are no other cars that have that shape.

BUT!! I noticed something important: The driver side footrest for an Amarok is different from the one Greg used. When we looked at the parts catalog I saw that it is actually a passenger side footrest!

Then it dawned on me, Greg's in Australia, so Greg's Amarok is probably right hand drive. The footrest he used is the one for the passenger side (!!) of a right hand drive car. Isn't it, Greg? :)

Because it's mirror inverted it will fit the driver side of a left hand drive Mustang.

So if you order you need to make sure you order a PASSENGER SIDE footrest for a RIGHT HAND DRIVE Amarok. My dealer had no problem ordering one for me.
Hey Mike,

NO, NO, NO!!!

The footrest you MUST buy, is for the driver's side WHICH BELONGS TO A RIGHT HAND DRIVE AMAROK ONLY. The Amaroks we get here in Australia do NOT have any footrests for the passengers side of the car.

So again, GET A DRIVER'S SIDE FOOTREST FOR A RIGHT HAND DRIVE AMAROK. It is designed to support the left leg only.::thumb::

If there is any confusion to this, place your order to suit an AUSTRALIAN AMAROK - then you won't go wrong.

Hey its not just for the old guys. Im 34 and have been wanting to do this. My left foot feels homeless driving my 7173 around. I've always wanted to do a metal box under the carpet in a similar way you have done. Just didn't find the time yet. But great job I'm sure it helps the driving pleasure.

Hey Mike,

NO, NO, NO!!!

The footrest you MUST buy, is for the driver's side WHICH BELONGS TO A RIGHT HAND DRIVE AMAROK ONLY. The Amaroks we get here in Australia do NOT have any footrests for the passengers side of the car.

So again, GET A DRIVER'S SIDE FOOTREST FOR A RIGHT HAND DRIVE AMAROK. It is designed to support the left leg only.::thumb::

If there is any confusion to this, place your order to suit an AUSTRALIAN AMAROK - then you won't go wrong.

Hmm, weird.

In the parts catalog the part doesnt look anything like the one you used.

The depiction of the one for the passenger side looks exactly like yours.

I'll know more when I pick up the part.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Hi Mike and all Forum members,

I will give the actual part number of the footrest part i bought off my local VW dealer's parts department, here in Brisbane, Australia, to help clarify the part that you will need.

PART NUMBER. VW - 2H0864420A71N

My story was, that this particular part was out of stock here in Australia. Nobody had one on the shelves so to speak. On that basis, my VW parts man had to send overseas and put an order in to get one for me. It took about 2 to 3 weeks to come in from overseas.

Hope that helps,

Ok, I got my PASSENGER SIDE footrest for a RIGHT HAND DRIVE VW Amarock and it is exactly the same part with the same part number!

This is actually the part that Greg used.

I guess that for the right hand drive cars maybe they use the same footrest for both sides as the driver's footrest is against the middle console and maybe the standard one for left hand drive cars would be too wide.

I dunno but this is the part.

DSCF4012.JPG

DSCF4013.JPG

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your feedback, pics and info.

Well yes, that certainly looks the same part as i purchased here in Australia, and of course, the part numbers match up perfectly too.

As you mentioned above, this particular part seems to be produced for a multi usage concept for around the world catering for different left hand/right hand vehicle applications.

I would go ahead and use the part you have purchased with confidence that it is the same part that i used for my '73 Vert setup. You should be fine. Please let me know if you encounter any problems with your install.

Yes, it is a confusing world we live in it seems.:-/

Cheers,

Back