454 build FYI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Just thought I would share my build here are the specs. Its nothing special should make ok power and not eat parts.

468, steel crank, eagle H beam rods, JE Teflon skirt pistons, 10.8:1 comp, main stud girdle, Pro systems carb small venturi big throttle plate style 4150 with a real wet flow of 830-850 cfm. ferrera valves, Pac springs, 7.2 roller rockers, true roller timing set, cam is a Solid flat tappet 248@50 595 lift with 294 duration. Ported Brodix race rites and a ported Brodix single plane.

My Arse is telling me its about 550-560hp anyone want to have a guess at the actual HP before it goes on the dyno this week.

Intake during porting

2j18ugy.jpg
[/img]

5laohx.jpg
[/img]

Brodix Race Rite ovals 270cc now 290cc

5xmxol.jpg
[/img]

2ij26q1.jpg
[/img]

didn't all go to plan bit of core shift here and broke through into the stud hole. Bronze sleeve because its a street car other wise could of left it

avbyf.jpg
[/img]

finished

346w26d.jpg
[/img]

2n9mjyh.jpg
[/img]

33o5z07.jpg
[/img]

ruff render of flow numbers will post up finished one later.

359agxu.jpg
[/img]

going in this about 3600 pounds with 112kg of me in it

25hpkjs.jpg
[/img]

Nice if you like chebbies...hey I resemble that remark.

635 HP on an engine dyno.

Great number for the heads. I bet it would be happy with a little more cam...a roller with around 260 @ .050 and about to .700 lift (Hey I don't have to feed it or live with it).

Nice if you like chebbies...hey I resemble that remark.

635 HP on an engine dyno.

Great number for the heads. I bet it would be happy with a little more cam...a roller with around 260 @ .050 and about to .700 lift (Hey I don't have to feed it or live with it).
Thought about more cam but this will do for now. There is a 4.5in bore short stroke 509 in my future will probably go for a roller then.

Will have lots of torque but I don't think it will make your HP goal with the oval port heads. If it had the LS6 or the aftermarket rectangle port heads then yes lots of HP. The LS5 was a truck engine the LS6 was strictly a racing engine and way under rated on H.P.. Came stock set up for dry sump from factory one of the better chevy engines.

You did upgrade crank and rotating and got some more C.I. so it might do it if you don't run out of fuel.

I was in Atlanta last week thought I had closed a deal on a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 454 that had been in storage since the 70's all original blue with white stripes. It fell through at last minute I guess someone offered him more. I was going to flip to buy more mustangs, lol. Less cost and easier to work on.

I will be looking for the results it will be a beast for sure.

David

Will have lots of torque but I don't think it will make your HP goal with the oval port heads. If it had the LS6 or the aftermarket rectangle port heads then yes lots of HP. The LS5 was a truck engine the LS6 was strictly a racing engine and way under rated on H.P.. Came stock set up for dry sump from factory one of the better chevy engines.

You did upgrade crank and rotating and got some more C.I. so it might do it if you don't run out of fuel.

I was in Atlanta last week thought I had closed a deal on a 1970 Chevelle SS LS6 454 that had been in storage since the 70's all original blue with white stripes. It fell through at last minute I guess someone offered him more. I was going to flip to buy more mustangs, lol. Less cost and easier to work on.

I will be looking for the results it will be a beast for sure.

David
LS6 is no 1 on my dream list. They have probably the coolest factory idle of all the top tier muscle cars lots of overlap sounds tuff.

Here are the finished flow numbers I think they are pretty good for non lifted port ovals,As you can see they have 700+hp potential in fact the same heads with the same port job made near 740hp on a 477ci BBC. Cam shaft is my limiting factor in this build. But as mentioned I will build a 509 on E85 over the next few years then use these heads and manifold on it. That should be good for high 600s and lots of torque.

2enb3bd.jpg
[/img]

This one is worthy of bigger cam but should a lot more fun in traffic with the one you're using. It's still going to fly.

How high do you plan to spin it?

When does it hit the dyno?

Hey Luke, looks pretty damn good to me. Your goal of 550-580 HP should be totally achievable with that combo, torque should be Awsome too, especially using oval ports, so it should lug that old Belmont around OK, I suppose, lol.

Should've been like the guy with a LH Torana with a 393 Clevo in it. I walked past it at Powercruise thinking it was just another Torana with a V8, but then the distributor at the front of the engine caught my eye. Had to have a better look and there she was, a CHI headed Cleveland in the bay. The thing absolutely flew too and best part I was there with some mates who are hard core Holden nuts. Made my day actually. Ended up being for sale and sold in the mid 20's. Bargain for a 650+ HP Clevo, transbraked C4, 9 inch all in a stocko looking LH, complienced and regoed. Spoke to owner at Powercruise and he said, done the quarter in 11.0's as he had to keep backing off because no cage.

Anyway all the best with it and undoubtably it'll put a smile on your dial, if not just remember that Torana with the Cleveland in it as food for thought, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is worthy of bigger cam but should a lot more fun in traffic with the one you're using. It's still going to fly.

How high do you plan to spin it?

When does it hit the dyno?
should be on the dyno tomorrow or Saturday. It goes on free of charge so I have to wait until the paying customers are done how rude lol.

Cam is done at 6500 so will turn it to 6800 at the track or maybe 7000.Should be good for mid to low 11s all day with the 3.5 gears I am running. Got to drive 160km to nearest track and 400+ to the next closest all in mid 30 degree c heat so going deeper in the rear set isn't a option. Looking forward to seeing a time card could be a bit of mph involved

Hey Luke, looks pretty damn good to me. Your goal of 550-580 HP should be totally achievable with that combo, torque should be Awsome too, especially using oval ports, so it should lug that old Belmont around OK, I suppose, lol.

Should've been like the guy with a LH Torana with a 393 Clevo in it. I walked past it at Powercruise thinking it was just another Torana with a V8, but then the distributor at the front of the engine caught my eye. Had to have a better look and there she was, a CHI headed Cleveland in the bay. The thing absolutely flew too and best part I was there with some mates who are hard core Holden nuts. Made my day actually. Ended up being for sale and sold in the mid 20's. Bargain for a 650+ HP Clevo, transbraked C4, 9 inch all in a stocko looking LH, complienced and regoed. Spoke to owner at Powercruise and he said, done the quarter in 11.0's as he had to keep backing off because no cage.

Anyway all the best with it and undoubtably it'll put a smile on your dial, if not just remember that Torana with the Cleveland in it as food for thought, lol.
Thanks Jason. My mate told me about a clevo LH at power cruise with a full ford drive line he couldn't stop laughing about all the pissed of people haha. As for a cleveland powered project, mate the next ones just got to be a XA. I want a tubbed version of this with GT guards and bonnet same colour too. Better start looking now because I haven't seen a good ute shell for a very long time.

xautea3.jpg

xautea2.jpg

Yeah mate good X series ute body's are like rocking horse crap. Without doubt the XA's were the best looking of them all, in all forms, hardtops, Utes, vans, GT's, sedans and wagons. Just sold a pair of original XA GT guards with grilles that came off my XA GS project car to a guy in Sydney restoring a GT hardtop. Actually the XA is being moved in the morning to the big shed down the back with the concrete floor. Over the break it'll be finished being stripped down bare and on the rotisserie. If I hear of any decent Utes I'll let you know, probably a better chance in finding that rocking horse crap though, lol.

Yeah mate good X series ute body's are like rocking horse crap. Without doubt the XA's were the best looking of them all, in all forms, hardtops, Utes, vans, GT's, sedans and wagons. Just sold a pair of original XA GT guards with grilles that came off my XA GS project car to a guy in Sydney restoring a GT hardtop. Actually the XA is being moved in the morning to the big shed down the back with the concrete floor. Over the break it'll be finished being stripped down bare and on the rotisserie. If I hear of any decent Utes I'll let you know, probably a better chance in finding that rocking horse crap though, lol.
finding a good 1 I can afford will be the trick then mini tubbing it seems wrong but there's no other way for me haha same with the engine I would use iron headed 4v for proper old school cranky. Not going for the gt look on yours now? Just doing an ugly old GS hey hahaha. Hope it's white with the Gold stripes. Super sleeper ::thumb::

finding a good 1 I can afford will be the trick then mini tubbing it seems wrong but there's no other way for me haha same with the engine I would use iron headed 4v for proper old school cranky. Not going for the gt look on yours now? Just doing an ugly old GS hey hahaha. Hope it's white with the Gold stripes. Super sleeper ::thumb::
Yeah that's it isn't it, finding a good body that's not overpriced, but they do pop up here and there. One a few years ago, there was one very good rust wise, but needed a quarter panel as she had a decent hit in it. I think he paid $800 for it and should be near completed by now (have to catch up with him)

No not going the Phase 4 GT look now, especially after I got the verification from Ford stating she's a genuine GS. A factory 351, 4 speed GS would be a rarer car than a GT I suppose. The original colour is Ultra White but I suspect that it from the factory with black stripes (got a NOS set too) considering factory black trim. If I can't locate the original block, a 4V headed engine will be going in and keeping it looking like grand dads car. The only other options from factory besides being a GS are dual exhaust and a LSD. I just love bare bones cars. She's now in the big shed waiting to be finished fully stripping it down.

Yes it is rarer than a GT. It's got the right options someone wanted a budget go fast car. White and Black that works nan's car with a bite.

Got a lead on a Black Gs ute suppose to be a K code. So will go see. Summertime Gold is my choice of colour for Utes and Sedan's

Yes it is rarer than a GT. It's got the right options someone wanted a budget go fast car. White and Black that works nan's car with a bite.

Got a lead on a Black Gs ute suppose to be a K code. So will go see. Summertime Gold is my choice of colour for Utes and Sedan's
Used to be a mechanic where I worked at and he worked at both Ford and Holden (was a mechanic on the HDT rally cars) and he said a lot of bare bone cars most times would end up in the workshop or a performance shop when brand new to hotted up.

Good luck on the lead for the ute, if it's a factory black, that would be extremely rare and being a K code would just top it off nicely. As for colour yellow fire is terrific colour especially on GT's, but don't mind Ultra White either.

Back