How rare is this considered

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam_71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang grande
Ok i own a 71 mustang grande now ive seen the numbers for production and my car seems to be a lot lower number produced. How rare do people consider a grande? the only car with lower production numbers is a boss 351 and a convertible. Im interested to hear everyones thoughts on this and heres why. If its more rare than a mach 1 (a crap load less produced) than i might restore it all original since i have the numbers matching stuff for it BUT if its not that rare than ill just go my own way (keep in mind i have many cars so a mod car how i like it can be done with something else)

thanks for any thoughts

Post the numbers
PRODUCTION NUMBERS

Hardtop - 65,696

Convertible - 6,121

Fastback (Sportsroof) - 23,956

Hardtop grande - 17,406

Fastback (Sportsroof) Mach 1 - 36,999

Boss 351 - 1,806

thats for 1971 cars

Last edited by a moderator:
Its really a hard call. I see what you are sayin but for whatever reason right now the market is not there for our cars but its coming around slowly. I know this is not much help, but for me I am building mine the way I want it.

Its really a hard call. I see what you are sayin but for whatever reason right now the market is not there for our cars but its coming around slowly. I know this is not much help, but for me I am building mine the way I want it.
+1...we're still considered the black sheep of the Mustang community because a lot of people haven't come around to the big bodies yet. I agree with Roy, I'm going to build mine the way I want it. If I had a Boss then I would probably change my tune, but my Sportsroof isn't rare at all!

makes sense i figured i would ask before i did my own thing with it and someone went crazy because i modified a rare car lol time for stripes and ram air hood lol

That's the spirit...not only that, if you had a 1 of 1 car then it might be different, but the only way to tell would be to get a Marti report. And 1 of 1 cars are very rare indeed.
thats a good point to rare combo choice or something ill do that before i change anything on it

i think low production numbers is not allways a good thing if its not popular in the first place....fast backs allways got more attention than grands...and i think it plays into the whole..grande was a lux car version..and the sportsroof was the renagade looking car...what kids remmeber the most..all that flash and fins and stripes...grande were usualy plain a bit....plus now days production numbers are broken down..out of the sportsroof mach 1's...only 6,568 come with the 351 4v and c6 trans...and out of the red ones..only 4 had powerwindows..lol....i think alot more orders driven the production of the sportsroof over the grande....i would run the numbers..and if it turns out too be under 300 made like it i would restore it possibly...but if high numbers..i would do what ever you felt happy with.

you know we almost got a cheap grande for parts..was going to take the glass and everything..till we started to notice..the glass in a grande wont work in a sportsroof..lol..weird..we measured itfront glass and side windows...and it was a inch taller lol...and if you notice the sports roof has sharp corners on the top of the glass..were the grande has rounded corners...just thought it was odd that they made the grande roof taller..maybe for the lux part..lol

Another thought is that the Grande's were a high dollar option and therefore as many were not sold because of the expense. I believe they were going for the luxurious minded customer like the Mercury Cougar customers. I believe the Grande's are gaining more respect as the big body coupes are.

Suggested Retail with 302 engine:

2-Door Hardtop: $2,847

2-Door Sportsroof: $2,907

2-Door Convertible: $3,189

Grande 2-Door Hardtop $3,033

Mach 1 2-Door Sportsroof: $3,088

Then start adding options!

Last edited by a moderator:
Build it as you like it , keep us posted.

Like to see what you did with it.

John

There is "rare" and there is "desireable", many times the two don't come together in the same car. It also makes a big difference what engine/trans it came with.

A Grande that came with a 429, that would be rare and desireable, and is very collectable.

Origional 4-speed/v8 cars are pretty rare and desireable too.

A small v8/automatic Grande, fairly common. I'd say, build it the way you want.

my way so blower through the hood stripes on the side stick vs auto i got some plans for it sub frame connectors as well ahh gotta love cars when your "i want to do ...." turns into a black hole that only sucks up lots of $$$$$$$$ lol

since i have white paint ill paint it that color and i might paint the stripes on since i also have a satin black paint as well. The engine cant stay stock i did drive it down the road i like the power but i always want more than i have so ill see what its like its my first 351c

i figured so i dont really want it completely flat black so i think satin black would work best

has anyone ever blacked out like the bumpers and stuff like that ? i thought it might be an interesting idea since the chrome on mine is wearing out

Back in the early eighties, I drove a 71 Mach for 4 years as my daily driver. The front bumper was urethane - so no issues. The rear bumper chrome began to peel. Since I did not have any spare $$ in those days, I sanded it down and did a black out treatment.

1st step after sanding: self etching primer. 2nd step: light even coat of NAPA rubber coating. 3rd step: Satin enamel paint. It looked like a pebble grain finish when completed. Held up for years. It also matched the lower side panel treatment (which as I recall, we also used the same steps to create a 'factory-like' finish during one of it's three repaints in 18 yrs). Total cost was about $15 for the bumper. The only downside was if something hit the finish, it would nick it leaving the spot smoother than the rest of the textured surface.

That's the spirit...not only that, if you had a 1 of 1 car then it might be different, but the only way to tell would be to get a Marti report. And 1 of 1 cars are very rare indeed.
yes im keeping my grande totally original as its a 1 of 1!, LOL "its the only (1) i own!".

its strange ive owned 4 mustangs in my life here in Australia and i never knew about a grande until i got mine! and it really stands out in the car shows i go to as everyone else has fastbacks and standard coupes so to me its rare and special in OZ!!

Back