home made sandblast tool advice!???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang sportsroof
1970 Mustang Hardtop
1972 Mercedes Benz 350 SLC European Version
1950 Ford Custom coupé
Hey my friends!??

I was reading a thread and i started thinking... which is the best way to sandblast our projects ourselves in our garagges of frontyards??

I found out the sandblasters that we can buy in the market are too expensive and i saw some video in youtube of a guy who was using one of that 20 dollars sandblaster gun to work a hood or something like that...

Maybe if we exchange some ideas we can get to a process mixing paint remover first and this cheap guns and find a method to do this job safely and with no big investments...

What do you think?

pistola de arenar.jpg

Hey,

I bought a blasting pistol as pictured by you.

This is the one that is hanging in a bucket of blasting material.

When you only have to blast a tiny piece of metal this works fine.

But when you need to blast a whole undercariage from a car i would advice a blasting tool with a pressure tank.

i'ts easy to make when you have a pressuretank , put the blastingmedia in the tank , close it and put pressure on the tank. when you open the ventile the blasting media is comming out of the nozzle with pressure.

I did the complete undercariage from my stang with it , it works perfectly.

You can build one or buy one , i bought mine for € 130,- that's aprox $ 190,-

John

Hey my friends!??

I was reading a thread and i started thinking... which is the best way to sandblast our projects ourselves in our garagges of frontyards??

I found out the sandblasters that we can buy in the market are too expensive and i saw some video in youtube of a guy who was using one of that 20 dollars sandblaster gun to work a hood or something like that...

Maybe if we exchange some ideas we can get to a process mixing paint remover first and this cheap guns and find a method to do this job safely and with no big investments...

What do you think?
I have one like you have pictured that came as an accessory with the air compressor I bought. I used it once with play sand when I replaced my gas tank to clean up the area above the tank. It worked pretty well for that purpose. The body shop media blasted the exterior of my convertible. I bought one of those small blasting tanks with the gloves you slide your hands into to blast the small parts and used the glass beads with it.

The idea came to me because I have the 70 coupe i'm restoring to the bear metal already, but there´s surface rust in almost every sheet, specially on the engine bay you know?...

The exterior skins can be sanded normally with no problem but in difficult parts as in the engine bay, i know i have to sandblast... I´m not willing to invest on a good sandblasting tool and it is not comfortable, neither cheap to transport the shell as is, to a sandblast shop just to do the engine bay...

So, if there´s any way to make this little cheap guns to work, even if you have to invest twice the time, it is useful considering the economics and the logistics of doing it at home...

Hey my friends!??

What do you think?
I have this gun and it works ok, you just have to keep moving the the wand around in the bucket of sand and sand does not always come out.

I did make an open tank and have the hose on the bottom of the tank so I get better sand but still slow working. I think this would work good enough for you with out spending a lot of $$$ I am going to change what I have to a pressure system before I do the car more.

Hope this helped

Hey my friends!??

What do you think?
I have this gun and it works ok, you just have to keep moving the the wand around in the bucket of sand and sand does not always come out.

I did make an open tank and have the hose on the bottom of the tank so I get better sand but still slow working. I think this would work good enough for you with out spending a lot of $$$ I am going to change what I have to a pressure system before I do the car more.

Hope this helped
Great help!.. I think i´ll try it and then commment the results to you guys... There are several ways that cames to my mind on how to attach the gun hose to the sand deposit... That´s the only variable we can get...

Well.. in anyone have another idea, it is as always very welcome!

Hey my friends!??

What do you think?

Hope this helped
Great help!.. I think i´ll try it and then commment the results to you guys... There are several ways that cames to my mind on how to attach the gun hose to the sand deposit... That´s the only variable we can get...

Well.. in anyone have another idea, it is as always very welcome!
this was my quick fix I did last summer. It works ok.

sandblaster 001.JPG

sandblaster 002.JPG

I've been using this for most of cracks, crevices & small parts..Works very very well.

yes I remember seeing this video, I really need to get one!!!!!! thanks for reminding me!!!!

Great docweld! that was just the kind of tool i was planning in my head... It´s cheap as hell and maybe, if you are not sandblasting bondo and firm paint, it can work ok... what do you think?...

Is it too much mess to work with the sand at open sky??... Do i need to tell the neighbours we are NOT on the beach?? jeje

Thanks again!!

Scott... that´s a great tool! unfortunatly i dont have access to this particular tool or any other great products and tools you do have over there...

But is this one work, for instance if you want at least, to clean a difficult to access corner that you cant clean another way? Maybe it is just a sandblast gun that works spot by spot..

Last edited by a moderator:
Great docweld! that was just the kind of tool i was planning in my head... It´s cheap as hell and maybe, if you are not sandblasting bondo and firm paint, it can work ok... what do you think?...

Is it too much mess to work with the sand at open sky??... Do i need to tell the neighbours we are NOT on the beach?? jeje

Thanks again!!

Scott... that´s a great tool! unfortunatly i dont have access to this particular tool or any other great products and tools you do have over there...

But is this one work, for instance if you want at least, to clean a difficult to access corner that you cant clean another way? Maybe it is just a sandblast gun that works spot by spot..
It will take the paint and bondo off it just takes some time. It is messy, the next time I do it I will put plastic under the car to catch the sand. then you can just sift it and use it again.

now WARNING!!!!! make sure every thing is covered VERY WELL for the sand like the windshield!!! I taped a blanket on my winshield but the wind blew it off while I was blasting part of the engine bay and when I stoped and looked I found pits all over my shield. Yes I will have to get a new one!!!

also it will work on just small spots too, but Scott's would be better for spots and there is no mess!!!

I used a pressure system to blast the frame on my son's F-100 and then had it powder coated. It work great!

On my other son's 71 Maverick we sand blasted the engine compartment with a cheap siphone system. At first I thought it was going to be worthless but we then shortened the hose to about five feet and kept the plastic container tilted toward the hose and it worked well. Not as good as the pressure system but a great tool when it was impossible to have the other.

I used a pressure system to blast the frame on my son's F-100 and then had it powder coated. It work great!

On my other son's 71 Maverick we sand blasted the engine compartment with a cheap siphone system. At first I thought it was going to be worthless but we then shortened the hose to about five feet and kept the plastic container tilted toward the hose and it worked well. Not as good as the pressure system but a great tool when it was impossible to have the other.
Great Steven!!.. So if you have to give an advice to try the cheap method, you can say the shorter the hose is, the better and if i didn´t understand yoku wrong, if you place the sand container avobe the horizon of the sandgun, gravity helps too??

that´s great Steven... I´ll try to do it this way first and then we keep exchanging ideas...

Maybe wa end up "designing" both tools... One like this cheap one and another one, a pressure one that we can make it ourselves too... It it not too difficult neither expensive to build a pressure sandblaster.

that´s great Steven... I´ll try to do it this way first and then we keep exchanging ideas...

Maybe wa end up "designing" both tools... One like this cheap one and another one, a pressure one that we can make it ourselves too... It it not too difficult neither expensive to build a pressure sandblaster.
Steve is 100% right about using it!! That is what I did first before I used the tank I showed you. I am also going to build a pressure system, just make sure you use a PRESSURE TANK not just a tank, when a tank explodes it is not a good thing!!!!!!!! I am going to use and old but good 30 gallon air tank to make mine.

Steve is 100% right about using it!! That is what I did first before I used the tank I showed you. I am also going to build a pressure system, just make sure you use a PRESSURE TANK not just a tank, when a tank explodes it is not a good thing!!!!!!!! I am going to use and old but good 30 gallon air tank to make mine.
Great then.. we can share ideas and sharing to the guys so we all can advice and give ideas to make the cheapest but yet better sandblaster we can make ;)

Hey guys!!!...

Just wanted to ask the following:

Thinking about the sandblaster fabrication, the idea of using an air compressor tank to fabrcate the machine came up...

I found this in Ebay Uruguay for 50 dollars more or less...

It is a 50 Liters tank that came from an air compressor... it even have some joints, manometer and wheels!

Would this work??

s_MLU_v_O_f_25082824_5846.jpgs_MLU_v_O_f_25082824_7234.jpgs_MLU_v_O_f_25082824_7982.jpg

Back