9600rpm 620hp factory clevelands

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Blue Glo Mach 1
Ok so I am building a new shed. So last night was the pre event beer and bullshit session. These super falcons come up forgot how monstrous these things where in 1970. Fragile,bad mannered, cool and fast as f$ck hope you enjoy the link.

21jn387.jpg
[/img]

http://www.bowdensown.com.au/collection/ian-pete-geoghegans-super-falcon

Last edited by a moderator:
That's correct Allan Moffat was campaigning a Boss 302 very trick car in its own right and very heavily modified. Bob Jane was racing a ZL1 Camaro at that time too. Was a pretty cool time in Aus circuit racing lots of interesting stuff in the mix but I think the only other thing that went close to the development in these falcons was Norm Beechies Monaro. Was all going on before I was born but far more interesting than super car racing is today in AU

That 351 Cleveland in the old Geoghaen super falcon sounds awsome, heard it at Bowdens years ago and that Lucas constant flow injection doesn't like anything under about 3500-4000 RPM. Ford Aus built two of them so there were Austraian built Fords running in the series, as it was mostly US and European cars battling it out. This car for Geoghegan and the other for Moffat. Ford Aus spent a fortune on these two cars, where stories abound of $100 000 each, a lot of money back in the early 70's, but all that money spent for not much return. They were both fragile and unreliable, so much so that Moffat hardly ran the car and preferred to run his Mustang instead and Geoghean was basically begged by Ford to keep running the car instead of going back to a Mustang. The only two major things this car was known for was the 620 HP Cleveland (not even Janes ZL1 quite made this power) and the 72 Easter Bathurst win in a ding dong battle with Moffat's 69 Boss 302 Mustang, which unfortunately there is no vision of that race, otherwise the car would've went down as the most expensive lemon in Australian Motorsport.

They were definitely the best days ever in Australian Motorsport. The Allan Moffat Car-Craft 69 Boss 302 Trans-Am Mustang (one of only 7 built) is still probably the most recognised car to race in Australia. Bob Jane brought in two ZL1 Camaro's, the one he ran in the series and winning it in 71,72, the other being an auto car was ran by his brother in drag racing, after they finished with that car, pulled the engine out as a spare and then sold off the rest. Plenty of other Mustang's and Camaro's as well as European stuff like Porsche's and Alfa's. It was cars like these that Holden with Norm Beechey did a Monaro (70 series winner and first time for Australian built car) and Ford Aus with the two super Falcons, built local cars running against the imported stuff. As you said Luke, this racing is far superior than today's V8 Supercars racing, or should I say snooze a car, as it is so boring to watch. I'd rather watch the ute races and most definitely the Biante series with all the old muscle cars, just like the good old days, only they have brakes these days, lol, or replays of these old races as they really were the best racing ever in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that is so awesome stuff Luke! That looks so awesome 😎 But it's not always paying off. When car company is doing thise Cars. But they learn the hard way to I guess 😎 But Dame it's looking so awesome!! 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Thanks Luke for sharing this with us all [THUMBS UP SIGN] 😎 Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 😎

Wow that is so awesome stuff Luke! That looks so awesome ? But it's not always paying off. When car company is doing thise Cars. But they learn the hard way to I guess ? But Dame it's looking so awesome!! ?[THUMBS UP SIGN] Thanks Luke for sharing this with us all [THUMBS UP SIGN] ? Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 ?
No it didn't always pay off. But to have the might of the factory behind you for development was very cool.

Hi Luke now but it is still a hot engine [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][THUMBS UP SIGN] But it is a RPM range!! Maybe they get too far as I guess it was the reason why it would not last long. But yeah it would be great to have a big company behind you 😎[THUMBS UP SIGN] Regards Lars

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73 😎

Back