Overhaulin (and the like)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Hi,

This is a discussion I had with some pals a while ago.

Until recently a European TV station aired "Overhaulin". I know the show is already yesterdays news in the US (and meanwhile here too), but anyway.

Suppose the show is not fake and they really redo a car within a week. If you have a team of let´s say 30 people work on the car continously in 3 shifts over 24 hours, you can get a lot of hours worked on it.

But here´s my thought. How can you weld, primer and paint a car within let´s say 48 hours without letting it cure in between?

If the show was not fake and they really did this, these cars must look awful by now, as the finish will have settled and caused creases.

Or am I completely mistaken?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Until recently a European TV station aired "Overhaulin". I know the show is already yesterdays news in the US (and meanwhile here too), but anyway.

Suppose the show is not fake and they really redo a car within a week. If you have a team of let´s say 30 people work on the car continously in 3 shifts over 24 hours, you can get a lot of hours worked on it.

But here´s my thought. How can you weld, primer and paint a car within let´s say 48 hours without letting it cure in between?

If the show was not fake and they really did this, these cars must look awful by now, as the finish will have settled and caused creases.

I think that they have a time frame between the build and the reveal or else, they have a hands off policy until the car cures after the reveal! Good question!

there are all kinds of rumors in regards to this show.

one is that the cars are not given back to the owners for some time.

supposedly the cars are kept to work out all the little issues and then some cars are sent on promotional tours on trailers to shows for about 6 months.

there are rumors about motors blowing up, or the owners being unhappy that their cars were modernized.

there is a rumor about one show that never aired, and a law suit and that ended the we are stealing your car gag.

if you notice the later seasons of overhauling they no longer steal the cars, they walk up to the owner's house and announce they will be on overhauling then they involve the owner in the build of the car, sometime the owner will work on the car up till the body work is completed then the car is hidden from the owner until final reveal.

i read 2 threads on cars that were done on the show. one involving the Dodge magnum, where they installed a supercharger on the engine, and later the engine grenaded and the owner had to fight to have the engine replaced.

the second thread was in regards to one owner being unhappy with the color the car was painted and having the car stripped and re-painted.

that was about it all the other stuff i heard about or read about seemed to be rumors.

there are a LOT of threads about how bad the work was on the "pimp my ride" cars.

many of those showed up on Ebay.

there was also threads about the terrible work done by Unique automotive that was in holbrook Long island.

i know that Unique left NY some time ago for florida and i'm not sure the show is even on TV anymore.

I always had reservations about the "Pimp My Ride" cars, you could tell they were shoddy jobs by looking at the detail. I remember a lot of those episodes where they didn't even show the engines or say anything about fixing them up; then they started doing the engines too. I would have a hard time complaining about the Overhaulin jobs. If they took my car down to the frame, poweder coated it and put in all new suspension, rebuild or new engine, etc., what is there to complain about if it's free!

what a good thread!!...

Well.. me, as a designer, i HAVE to respect Chip Foose in many many ways because as much as I´m a classic, factory, stock or whatever fan, the man did some interesting modifications... Some of them i didn´t care but I remember the Challenger with the crazy paint theme or a 1967 mustang fastback that was painted in black that were at least, good ideas...

The fact that a car CANT be propperly done in a week, for me is a true fact... Besides the mechanical part (they used all new parts and the best you can get so, no complains there), the body work, even if you use all new skins and you have artists aligning the panels, it is not possible to start from scratch and 48 hours later the car was ready to reasamble...

We have to think that this cars are not gonna be drivable again, or that is the spirit there... Overhaulin turned forgotten cars into some show pieces... shinny to the cameras but I´m sure, not made to be judge looking... I even noticed some BAD bondo sanding in some shots or some spray can engine bays painted that are not quality show of course...

Despite of my prefers for classic factory cars, Foose or the production used to plan a very organized restoration process with no money issues and for me, the work they did can be done in a week period... Maybe after the "revelation" the car is in need of some polishing, tunning or that stuff we all have to do after we restore our cars, but the basic stuff for the camera eye and thinking it is a TV show, in my opinion, it is possible.

Yes, Chip my car is located at .... ! Please feel free to ask any of my family members what I would like as they all have been informed. Just keep my 351C and give it back to me as a standard. P.S. please leave my mirrors and door handles on the car.

I enjoy watching my videos of the show and appreciate not just the talent that Chip has but his supervision of his people. The other shows mentioned never interested me - I like quality.

As to how they look latter. I examined one at a Ohio car show and it looked very nice still. What bothers me is that some of the people he rebuilds for do not have the faintest idea of his skill and what it took to do the car and then many end up for sale for a sky high price. I thought these were cars that meant more than $$$ to their owners.

Again, Mr. Foose my car is located at ... :D

Chip can take my car and work some magic....but as Steven says...Leave my mirrors and door handles be and a nice Tremec TKO with a 347 stroker would be just about right....oh maybe Rousch charge it along the way.

Never really liked some of the Pimp My rides cars as some of them were a little far out for my taste.

I did like the concept of overhaulin but again the fact that some of these cars have landed on ebay is not right.

While we're on this subject what do you guys think of that new show Car Warriors?

Hi,

We did it all the time in my shop..It's called a downdraft baking spray booth..

I could do a fender job in the morning & deliver it that night no problem. You'll see in these shows that's what they use. http://www.ameri-cure.com/ there are also many products available to do whats called "wet on wet" Which means you spray the primer & no sanding required 10 min flash in the booth..Then paint

I also saw an eposide where they did a gto that was tagged in the rear..They couldn't get the deck lid to fit right What i saw chip foose do next blew me away Instead of putting the car on the frame machine & pulling the unibody into place correctly..He cut one of the hinge arms pulled it into place & then rewelded it TOTAL HACK REPAIR !

Last edited by a moderator:
YA GOTTA REMEMBER GUYS, THE SHOWS ARE THERE TO SELL PRODUCTS AND TOOLS. IF IT WASNT FOR THE SPONSORS THEY COULDNT BUILD SH-T. THERE IS A LOT OF TIME LAPSE BETWEEN SHOWS AND JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY THERE ON A TIME LIMIT WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO DO A CAR OTHER THAN THE COMMERCIALS AND THE FACT THAT WE GET IT IN EPISODES. AND TO ADD MOST OF THE NEW PAINTS ARE DRY TO THE TOUCH IN IN A SHORT TIME AND SUPPOSEDLY ABLE TO BE BUFFED IN LESS THAN A DAY AND THATS WITHOUT SOMWE FANCY OVEN, I PERSONALLY STILL LIKE TO GIVE THEM MORE TIME, BUT I JUST PAINTED A BUMPER AT ABOUT 11 IN THE MORNING AND DELIVERED IT TO THE OWNER AT 6 PM. I DONT LIKE DOING IT BUT THEY NEEDED THE TRUCK, I HAVE NO BOOTH OR OVEN.

Thanx for all the intresting feedback, especially from Q about how it can be done.

I know my car has little "canions" under the paint that you can only spot under neon lights, but they are there. I was told it was the undercoats that have not had enough time to cure and thus settled and shrank underneath the paint.

One thing might be that here in Europe they spray thinner coats than in the US with less buffing in the end, so the prep work needs to be more accurate.

Anyway.

Back to the shows: I think we can dump the Pimp My Ride crap immediately. That was just a matter of putting in subwoofers and Playstations (or x-boxes or whatever) and flatscreens in the most unapropriate places and spraying a flashy paint job onto a completely rotten car.

I know that it is all about product placement and sponsoring. Plus remember it´s TV, so we must not assume that what we see is waht went down, which is why I wrote in the original post "if the show was not fake"

Chip Foose on the other hand is somebody who knows what he is doing, at least when it comes to design issues. I love how he has the talent to spot what it is that makes a certain model look the way it does and how to change everything that distracts from those lines.

And yes, I love most of the cars he´s done (except for that golden ´Cuda which was not an "Overhauling" Car. Wasn´t it called the Terracuda?), especially the two tone paint jobs.

Although I don´t like the 20+ inch rims they usually put on the cars, but that can be changed easily.

Also the show looks like they are are doing more than just your basic "bling bling" stuff.

It simply felt weird to me that Foose would agree to have poorly made cars out on the streets carrying his (respected and renowned) name.

He got paid for it, sure, but still.

But when Q sais it can be done, I will not argue that point!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that those thpes of shows have the project car but they also have at least one or more parts cars that get totally cut up off camera to be used for the camera car. There was a yellow Bronco episode whose restoration pics made it onto the web & in those pics it shows the parts cars. Occasionally you might get a glimpse on the show about the parts cars.

The part I have grief with is that the parts cars are worthy of being restored themselves...until they get chopped and hacked up.

i read through a mopar thread in regards to the green cuda with the crazy paint job, apparently the owner put it up for sale on Ebay for over 140K. This raised red flags. so the owner got hammered with questions since on the show he swore up and down this car would never leave his side. the car was on the show in 2004 and showed 800 miles were put on it in that time.

the seller wrote this scathing wall of text on the auction page basically calling the mopar community names.

then another overhauling mopar showed up on ebay and again drew criticism

there is speculation that the Taxs and insurance increases are prompting people to get rid of these cars.

apparently when your car is completed on the show the owner must pay all the taxes on all the new parts used on the car. then there is the increased insurance rate, and having a celebrity car.

i think this is largely the reason for the complaints also California is insane, imagine owning a 500$ car for 20 years paying minimal on it, suddenly you get socked for 35,000$, in the cost of state and fed tax, insurance, etc.

i remember this occurred on the Oprah Winfrey show about 8 years ago. during one of her big give away shows everyone in the audience received a Pontiac G6, this caused hell for some guests when they got home because they got hammered for thousands of dollars in taxes that most did not have.

Oprah stepped in and paid the tax for some guests and most of them ended up on Ebay getting sold.

Personally i've grown beyond sick of these 7 day made for TV builds.

99% of them the work is terrible and the paint work horrible, the people that really know what they are looking at on TV are usually horrified.

take desert car kings, and that new car warriors show, the work is questionable at best and man. the paint work is a 20 footer at least. a person that knows nothing about cars thinks its amazing, people like us Cringe.

Its always the devil in the details.

when Overhaulin started it was before i owned a classic car. I would watch the show and everything looked so easy and smooth you can get things right away the problems were small. My uncle used to watch it then call me up telling me how awesome the cars looked etc.

for various reasons i bought my mustang, the reality is very different as we all know. As i worked on my car my perception changed greatly, but my uncle's remained the same because he never worked on a car before.

for a while my uncle's solution to everything was just to make things look Very pretty.

"you need a 99$ paint job and your car will be perfect" he would advise me.

Of course i was advised to get FOOSE rims as well, shave my door handles, ETC ETC ETC.

reality is most of the modifications made on these shows to make the car modern and cool, completely screw up the practicality of the car. If i fill up my truck with audio junk i never use, then whats the use of a trunk. If i shave my door handles off the car it makes getting in and out of the car more of a pain. Plus now i've added a ton of electronics to the car that will be expensive or impossible to repair when it breaks. additionally resto-modding a car will make it Difficult to service and find the correct parts for when the time comes.

A word on paint as well how many of us shudder at the thought of a 20,000$ paint job, then going to the mall and dealing with morons that will door ding it to death, or now dealing with a car so nice it becomes a magnet for all kinds of car theft. Its bad enough with a new car imagine it with a car you invested 30 years into.

i understand the mindset of some of these people wanting to get rid of a car after being on one of these shows.

Its like they strip the cars soul away and you no longer feel its a piece of you.

example you and your son/daughter DYI Paint the car in the 1980s, it looks like a 10 footer at best but it is a piece of your family, as your son/daughter grew up over the years you both worked on it keeping it running and in decent shape, as it took the back seat to everything else in life. suddenly the day comes Chip Foose shows up on your door step and 140K are thrown into it customizing it, you get the car back it looks amazing. the car needs nothing and because of the amout of work and money thrown into it, it goes in the garage under a protective car cover.

every time you want to drive it you have to unpack it and get it ready, and every time you put it away you wipe it down freak out with every stone chip in the paint work, and get bored of it. it runs perfect needs no work and you find yourself not going into the garage anymore to maintain it. 2-3 years ago by and you realize you haven't driven it in a few months, and its just sitting around doing nothing and your paying reg and insurance on it, your son/daughter doesn't come around anymore to work on it and you actually start to grow bitter about the car as time goes on, you start to wish it didn't have the graphics on it, or the stereo in it, or you wish it looked just like the day you got it because that is the best memories you have of it.

so the day comes the car you swore up and down would never leave the family gets traded on a new 2011 mustang, camaro or challenger, the end.

i read through a mopar thread in regards to the green cuda with the crazy paint job, apparently the owner put it up for sale on Ebay for over 140K. This raised red flags. so the owner got hammered with questions since on the show he swore up and down this car would never leave his side. the car was on the show in 2004 and showed 800 miles were put on it in that time.

the seller wrote this scathing wall of text on the auction page basically calling the mopar community names.

then another overhauling mopar showed up on ebay and again drew criticism

there is speculation that the Taxs and insurance increases are prompting people to get rid of these cars.

apparently when your car is completed on the show the owner must pay all the taxes on all the new parts used on the car. then there is the increased insurance rate, and having a celebrity car.

i think this is largely the reason for the complaints also California is insane, imagine owning a 500$ car for 20 years paying minimal on it, suddenly you get socked for 35,000$, in the cost of state and fed tax, insurance, etc.

i remember this occurred on the Oprah Winfrey show about 8 years ago. during one of her big give away shows everyone in the audience received a Pontiac G6, this caused hell for some guests when they got home because they got hammered for thousands of dollars in taxes that most did not have.

Oprah stepped in and paid the tax for some guests and most of them ended up on Ebay getting sold.

Personally i've grown beyond sick of these 7 day made for TV builds.

99% of them the work is terrible and the paint work horrible, the people that really know what they are looking at on TV are usually horrified.

take desert car kings, and that new car warriors show, the work is questionable at best and man. the paint work is a 20 footer at least. a person that knows nothing about cars thinks its amazing, people like us Cringe.

Its always the devil in the details.

when Overhaulin started it was before i owned a classic car. I would watch the show and everything looked so easy and smooth you can get things right away the problems were small. My uncle used to watch it then call me up telling me how awesome the cars looked etc.

for various reasons i bought my mustang, the reality is very different as we all know. As i worked on my car my perception changed greatly, but my uncle's remained the same because he never worked on a car before.

for a while my uncle's solution to everything was just to make things look Very pretty.

"you need a 99$ paint job and your car will be perfect" he would advise me.

Of course i was advised to get FOOSE rims as well, shave my door handles, ETC ETC ETC.

reality is most of the modifications made on these shows to make the car modern and cool, completely screw up the practicality of the car. If i fill up my truck with audio junk i never use, then whats the use of a trunk. If i shave my door handles off the car it makes getting in and out of the car more of a pain. Plus now i've added a ton of electronics to the car that will be expensive or impossible to repair when it breaks. additionally resto-modding a car will make it Difficult to service and find the correct parts for when the time comes.

A word on paint as well how many of us shudder at the thought of a 20,000$ paint job, then going to the mall and dealing with morons that will door ding it to death, or now dealing with a car so nice it becomes a magnet for all kinds of car theft. Its bad enough with a new car imagine it with a car you invested 30 years into.

i understand the mindset of some of these people wanting to get rid of a car after being on one of these shows.

Its like they strip the cars soul away and you no longer feel its a piece of you.

example you and your son/daughter DYI Paint the car in the 1980s, it looks like a 10 footer at best but it is a piece of your family, as your son/daughter grew up over the years you both worked on it keeping it running and in decent shape, as it took the back seat to everything else in life. suddenly the day comes Chip Foose shows up on your door step and 140K are thrown into it customizing it, you get the car back it looks amazing. the car needs nothing and because of the amout of work and money thrown into it, it goes in the garage under a protective car cover.

every time you want to drive it you have to unpack it and get it ready, and every time you put it away you wipe it down freak out with every stone chip in the paint work, and get bored of it. it runs perfect needs no work and you find yourself not going into the garage anymore to maintain it. 2-3 years ago by and you realize you haven't driven it in a few months, and its just sitting around doing nothing and your paying reg and insurance on it, your son/daughter doesn't come around anymore to work on it and you actually start to grow bitter about the car as time goes on, you start to wish it didn't have the graphics on it, or the stereo in it, or you wish it looked just like the day you got it because that is the best memories you have of it.

so the day comes the car you swore up and down would never leave the family gets traded on a new 2011 mustang, camaro or challenger, the end.

AMEN 72Hcode... you just wrote excatly what comes to my mind... I saw overhauling every week too and it "helped" me to get more fan of classic cars.. Now i consider i´ve grow and that car spirit and the memories with it is the true engine in our passion.

I've seen some of the shyte they've put together on 'Pimp My Ride,' as well as a few of the cars on 'Overhaulin.' I admit that I don't watch these shows because I just really don't care for what they do to the cars. I'm sorry, but some cars just don't look good with modern upgrades. 18" wheels don't look so bad on an early convertible 'Stang, but look out-of-place on a '71-'73 Fastback (my opinion...). Slammed, bagged, and giant sparkly neon paint aren't exactly my gig either.

I know exactly what I want my car to look like (and be) when I get it done - and I'm sure a couple of the details might even change during the process. However, I'm pretty sure if mine were to get 'stolen and Overhauled,' I would play along and be all smiles for the camera, shake the hands of the builders, and maybe even squeeze a few tears for ratings. Later, I'd be waving good-bye to everybody... then making sure they're really gone and saying, "OK - get that sh!t off my car!"

I know a set of 20" custom-designed Chip Foose wheels on eBay would pretty much pay for most of the things I actually want to do to my car. ;)

What really pisses me off about this show is

Hoe come their parts are never out of stock or on backorder?
Simply because they know what car will be done next and the sponsors like Summit, Edelbrock etc had stocked warehouses in adjacent rooms, so that everything they might need was there even before the car arrived.

Originally this thread was just about the quality of the finished product, but it turned into an interesting direction.

I have to agree with 72Hcode on most of the facts, except for the "paying the new parts" thing. That´s what the sponsors are there for. They provide the parts and therefor their brand is prominently featured on the show.

I would not know about taxes and such, as I don´t know what taxes you have to pay in the US.

But I admit that some might not really be that thrilled with what the car was turned into, simply because it was not what they had in mind.

I mean we all have our visions what we want the car to look like in the end and it´s the little details that count like which moldings stay on the car and which have to go. Do I want a Mach 1 Logo or not? What color do I want. If I say blue, then what hue do I have in mind?

Those are things that are beyond your control when it gets done by somebody else who builds it the way he thinks you want it to look like.

Personally I think that most of the overhauled cars were really cool, but would I want my particular car to look like that? I dunno.

Then they did some radical things to some cars that I can´t believe the owner approved of.

I remember that one episode when they made a late 40s Chevy pickup and they remodeled the front of the fenders to look like those of a 50s pickup with those extensions above the headlights.

I mean it was well made and looked good, but if I have a late 40s pickup I´m not sure I want it to look like a mid 50s one.

Imagine someone exchanges your 71 front on the Mustang for 69, just because it looks better. "What do you think I got a 71 for in the first place?!?"

I remember that in that episode the guy did not look really happy. He was like "Ok, thats a beautiful truck, but where is MINE?"

Last night I googled a little on the subject and I found a guy on another Mustang forum who said he actually had worked on a Mustang on the show and that he was surprised that the workmanship was first class.

Here´s an interesting link I found for those who wanna take a look behind the scenes:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/thehistoryof/mufp_0703_overhaulin_show_behind_the_scenes/index.html

on overhaulin and car warriors it seems i like the "before" status of the cars more than the finished product. if someone highjacked my mustang and gave it the "pimp my ride" treatment i would be not be happy. out of these types of shows i think the desert car kings is the most reality based. sure it's got it's cheesy tv show moments and the finished product isnt ready for a booth at sema, but the cars are restored tastefully and are back on the road.plus plus i like to imagine thier yard is my backyard( i imagine i would get a angry letter from the homeowners assosiation).

Back